Celebrity Bake Sale to Fight Child Hunger

  • Chairman, 5DCAC
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2009

      The Fifth District Citizens’ Advisory Council

      District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department

      invites you to a

      Celebrity Bake Sale

      Invited Celebrity Bakers:

      Mayor of the District of Columbia & Cabinet

      Members of the Council of the District of Columbia

      Prominent Journalists in the District of Columbia

      {All baked contribution(s) have been prepared by the invited celebrity or with his or his assistance.}

      To benefit

      Share Our Strength’s Great American Bake Sale

      In partnership with The Food Network *

      Saturday, April 25, 2009

      1:00p.m. to 5:30p.m.

      5th District Police Headquarters

      1805 Bladensburg Road, NE

      Why Fighting Childhood Hunger Is Important

      Hunger impairs our children’s health in significant and long-lasting ways:

      • Impedes growth and development

      Hunger predisposes our children to behavioral difficulties, including:

      • More aggressive behavior
      • Higher levels of hyperactivity, anxiety and/or passivity
      • Difficulty getting along with other children
      • Greater need for mental health services

      Hunger impedes our children’s ability to learn and perform academically.

      Hungry children are likely to:

      • Have impaired cognitive functioning and diminished capacity to learn
      • Achieve lower test scores and overall school performance
      • Repeat a grade
      • Experience school absences, tardiness and school suspensions

      Additional information is available @

      *100% of the funds from the bake sale will stay local to support after-school and summer feeding programs in the District of Columbia.

      If you are not able to participate, you may make a monetary

      contribution to support 5DCAC.

      Please make your check payable to 5DCAC.

      Mail your contribution to 5DCAC, P. O. Box 90436, Washington, DC 20090

      Robert Vinson Brannum, Chairman, 5DCAC