Vigil For Peters Family

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2009
      Good Afternoon All:

      Thank you for your outpouring of kindness and support yesterday for the Peters family. Your support helped to comfort a grieving family and community, paving the way for eventual healing. So many have been affected by this tragedy including a Fifth District Officer, who is also a grieving family member, a former homicide detective and several Fifth District Officers that are out on stress leave after witnessing the gruesome crime scene. This ordeal is truly heartbreaking for all of us.

      As we all fought back tears yesterday, we vowed to be good neighbors, which means that if we hear any disturbance from our neighbor's home we will not hesitate to contact the police. The police cannot help us if we do not make the call. I urge all listserv members to accept the "Operation Good Neighbor" pledge to call the police whenever we hear a disturbance. Doing so, may save someone's life.

      Kathy Henderson

      Great Deals on Dell 15" Laptops - Starting at $479
    • Keith Jarrell
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2009

                                                                  I attended this vigil and can only say it was a tremendous experience to see a tragic loss of life to see a community come together in a way  that you won’t see every day.

        The heart felt testimony from numerous people literally begging everyone to take a stronger stance on being a better neighbor.  Speak up,  speak out,  and take the steps to call the police when you think something is going wrong in someone’s life.  By that pivotal point in getting help for someone that can’t reach out themselves.

        Everyone that attended this vigil left there realizing that life is precious,  community is important and that being a neighbor and friend to each other is the other way to combat tragic happenings such as this one from occurring again.  My heart goes out to the family and friends who shall always be touched by this incident.  Hold your memories close to your heart,  and vow to never let this happen to anyone you know again.  Only prayers and faith can heal these wounds and erase the pain.

        To the many MPD officers that were involved in this investigation,  we support you and admire and respect you and the jobs you do for all of us each day.  I know the burden you carry after having to investigate a case like this one.  Find peace in your hearts by knowing that we depend on you to do the jobs you do,  and by also knowing just how much each of you mean to many of us.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you as well.

        To Kathy Henderson;  You are an inspiration to me! It brightened my heart to witness the impact you have on your neighbors.  Clearly,  in troubled times you easily stepped up and organized a vigil to not only pay respect to the loss of precious lives, but to instill in each of us attending, that life is too valuable not to do more.  It is important to protect those you know and love by being vigilant, watchful and involved.  To know when to take the proper steps to intervene and get help.  You truly are genuine and remarkable in your spirit and energy.

        Living in ward 4 and attending this vigil simply to pay my respects and to offer my support to those family members and police officers and neighbors of this tragedy, taught me that there are no borders in a city where hearts are brought together with a common cause. That cause being quality of life and feeling the pain and anguish of those affected by such senseless acts as this one.

        Find peace in your hearts and know that your loss is shared by many of us rather you know our names or not.  We too suffer when you do.  We too realize that more must be done, in the names of those we can together to remember and to mourn.

        God bless you all.

        Keith Jarrell