Minor Crime/TRASH/Nuisance

  • theschultzy
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
      In light of the bullets flying all over, I almost hesitate to post
      this. But I do think that fighting the small things does send a
      message about crime in general, so I appreciate any comments/reaction.

      I live on N and 1st. All along the baseball park on N (between first
      and New Jersey), groups of homeless people sit there all day, getting
      drunk, throwing their trash all over (even though there is a trash
      can RIGHT THERE). Yesterday, one of them stood up and urinated,
      right in public. Three of them were passed out. Four of them
      occupy the baseball bench all day, every day. That really makes the
      park a welcome place. I have seen them dealing drugs in the
      past. They heckle me every day when I walk by, silently, with my
      dog. They are there in the morning, every morning and they are there
      in the afternoon, every afternoon. All day. Trash EVERYWHERE. I
      can't tell you how much trash. It is disgusting and a blight on our
      neighborhood. I pick up what I can, but it doesn't matter, because
      the next day, it's covered in trash. I've never seen so much trash.

      My questions are: Isn't drinking in public illegal? Isn't littering
      illegal? Is it legal to just take over a public park and sidewalk
      and make it a campground? Yesterday, a police officer pulled over a
      motorist and saw this, including 2 people getting drunk out of a
      paper bag, and a man totally passed out (could've been dead) and just
      ignored it. Is there anything I can do to get them out? I hesitate
      to call the police just to complain about littering, and people,
      well, existing. But I am so fed up with the trash and verbal abuse,
      I want to just move. Any suggestions/help? THanks
    • Bill and Rob
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
        Nicely Stated!

        --- theschultzy <theschultzy@...> wrote:

        > In light of the bullets flying all over, I almost
        > hesitate to post
        > this. But I do think that fighting the small things
        > does send a
        > message about crime in general, so I appreciate any
        > comments/reaction.
        >
        > I live on N and 1st. All along the baseball park on
        > N (between first
        > and New Jersey), groups of homeless people sit there
        > all day, getting
        > drunk, throwing their trash all over (even though
        > there is a trash
        > can RIGHT THERE). Yesterday, one of them stood up
        > and urinated,
        > right in public. Three of them were passed out.
        > Four of them
        > occupy the baseball bench all day, every day. That
        > really makes the
        > park a welcome place. I have seen them dealing
        > drugs in the
        > past. They heckle me every day when I walk by,
        > silently, with my
        > dog. They are there in the morning, every morning
        > and they are there
        > in the afternoon, every afternoon. All day. Trash
        > EVERYWHERE. I
        > can't tell you how much trash. It is disgusting and
        > a blight on our
        > neighborhood. I pick up what I can, but it doesn't
        > matter, because
        > the next day, it's covered in trash. I've never
        > seen so much trash.
        >
        > My questions are: Isn't drinking in public illegal?
        > Isn't littering
        > illegal? Is it legal to just take over a public
        > park and sidewalk
        > and make it a campground? Yesterday, a police
        > officer pulled over a
        > motorist and saw this, including 2 people getting
        > drunk out of a
        > paper bag, and a man totally passed out (could've
        > been dead) and just
        > ignored it. Is there anything I can do to get them
        > out? I hesitate
        > to call the police just to complain about littering,
        > and people,
        > well, existing. But I am so fed up with the trash
        > and verbal abuse,
        > I want to just move. Any suggestions/help? THanks

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Harway, Sonya A. 25HARWAY
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
          Call 311 and encourage your neighbors to do the same. The term for blocking sidewalks is "incommoding"; report the public drinking, public urination, incommoding, littering, etc. Don't hesitate to call 911 for more serious offenses; it's there for you to use in times of duress! It sounds like this is an area that needs increased patrol anyway, so even if no one is arrested (don't get your hopes up) at least there will be an increased police presence and they might ask people to move on. For now it will be a temporary fix as these people will probably return as soon as the police turn the corner, but if residents in your neighborhood continue to show their disapproval and police continue to patrol the area, the no-goods will realize that this is no longer a friendly environment for them to continue breaking the law.

          -Sonya
          (10th and Douglas NE)

[...]

        • Henderson, Kathy (DYRS)
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
            We chased away our public drinking buddies by forming an "orange hat" group.
            At one point we had individuals congregating around a sofa in the middle of
            a vacant lot. We also had "Remy" parties on the sidewalk complete with all
            the Remy you could drink, cups ice etc. A few peaceful but determined
            encounters with the "orange hats" and the police changed that.

            Commissioner Kathy Henderson

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Rob Amos
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
              Calling 311 doesn't seem to do any good. I called 2 nights ago and it took them 2.5 hours to respond .... and then they let the one vagrant left to stumble up the street. Then they (the police)picked up a few of their empty bottles/cans and threw them away in the trash can. When I called there were 6 folks drinking (and passed out at times) across the street from my house.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 2005
                It is frustrating to wait around 2.5 hours but the community has to
                do what it has to do. From attending PSA meetings, etc. for the
                past year I have learned that the police respond to statistics so if
                a large amount of calls are being placed in one area then there
                might be more pressure for the police to do something about the
                problems. I probably call 311 2-3 times a day for drinking in
                public, urinating, etc. and sometimes there is a quick response and
                sometimes there is not but I know that I am not going to give up!
                Keep the police accountable! It is frustrating but the more the
                police and the District know that people are holding them
                accountable, I have to hope, that we will receive better support.
                Oh, and when I see police letting people (drunks, etc.) go without
                iding, etc. I write down their car number or go up to them and get
                their card if they have one and, then, have talked with the Captain
                about this matter. Please feel free to do the same. And, PSA 502
                is, on all acounts except for robbery, having higher crime
                statistics than last year at this time (learned this from attending
                my PSA meeting in July) so the police should be feeling more
                pressure to do something other than drive by.
                Erin
                10th
                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Rob Amos <robamos@y...> wrote:
                > Calling 311 doesn't seem to do any good. I called 2 nights ago and
                it took them 2.5 hours to respond .... and then they let the one
                vagrant left to stumble up the street. Then they (the police)picked
                up a few of their empty bottles/cans and threw them away in the
                trash can. When I called there were 6 folks drinking (and passed out
                at times) across the street from my house.

                > "Harway, Sonya A. 25HARWAY" <25harway@c...> wrote:Call 311 and
                encourage your neighbors to do the same. The term for blocking
                sidewalks is "incommoding"; report the public drinking, public
                urination, incommoding, littering, etc. Don't hesitate to call 911
                for more serious offenses; it's there for you to use in times of
                duress! It sounds like this is an area that needs increased patrol
                anyway, so even if no one is arrested (don't get your hopes up) at
                least there will be an increased police presence and they might ask
                people to move on. For now it will be a temporary fix as these
                people will probably return as soon as the police turn the corner,
                but if residents in your neighborhood continue to show their
                disapproval and police continue to patrol the area, the no-goods
                will realize that this is no longer a friendly environment for them
                to continue breaking the law.

                > -Sonya
                > (10th and Douglas NE)

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
              • yvehunt
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 6, 2005
                  In responds to everybody's frustrations with the public drinking and
                  urinating I to also get tired off watching drunks and drug addicts
                  as well as the drug dealers urinating and throwing trash all over
                  the neighborhood and even on homeowners property. The reasons why
                  we have so much trash in our neighborhoods is because of the S.O.M.E
                  House (So Others Might Eat) where they feed these homeless people
                  where as they just throw their trash just anywhere on or in front of
                  people's homes and urinate all over the area. This is the reason
                  why that the neighbors from the past to the present does not want
                  the S.O.M.E House in their neighborhood. The city or whomever needs
                  to located them in a non-residental area. Eventhough, they are
                  doing a good service by helping those that are in need, homeowners
                  do have a right to a safe and clean environment and not have their
                  property value in jeopardy as well.

                • bleulibra
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 29, 2005
                    I live on 1st St, near the N Street intersection as well and have
                    too been very frustrated with trash and public intoxication. I just
                    recently found this listserv and want to say thank you. I didn't
                    know that it was acceptable to call the police for such distubances
                    as trash and drinking. I will step up the calling to 311!

                    Sarah
                    1st and N NW