Re: [MPD-5D] Response to article in the "Afro American"

  • Bill and Rob
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
      I think joe is missing the mark on understanding why
      this article was written, unfortunately.

      It is clear to me, a newer resident to Brookland and
      the District, that people in our area don't have much
      faith and trust in the police. The reason is that they
      are selective in which laws they enforce and who they
      choose to police.

      Take traffic laws for example. Drivers do not fear the
      police officers giving them a ticket for a traffic
      violations (double parking, running lights, speeding,
      turning from a straight lane at an intersection,
      roling through stop signs, not wearing your seatbelt,
      talking on a cellphone while driving, expired tags)
      which put citizens at risk of an accident. No one
      seems to realize that the incidents involving a car in
      the city happen much more often than gun shootings,
      theft, and muggings. When people don't fear the
      consequence of breaking traffic law, that makes it
      easier for them to fell as they they can get away with
      theft, drug selling and use, even murder.

      If the police really want to make our neighborhoods
      safer, they would begin enforcing all of the laws. Not
      just the ones that make the papers.

      If the police really want to make our neighorhoods
      safer, they would also abide by the laws they are
      supposed to be enforcing. There are police stations
      in my neighborhood. The officers driving through our
      streets commonly speed and ignore stop signs. Is this
      setting a good example. Look at the uniform of the
      officers. They are sloppy. They make the officer look
      like a slacker. Where is the respect given to the
      officers so that know to respect the laws. I come from
      a state that allows its citizen to give lawful
      citation to police officers when they break the law
      (traffic violations). Perhaps this should be
      implemented in the district and the surrounding metro
      areas.

      So maybe more police patrols are needed, but only if
      they work.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Joseph Martin
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
        I'm in full agreement, Bill and Rob, so I don't think
        I'm missing that mark, but I'm always open to
        constructive criticism.

        It boils down to holding all police accountable for
        consistent, professional behavior nothing less.

        Cops who don't do their jobs should be reprimanded. If
        they continue to under perform or are abusive, they
        should be fired. If you witness a cop not performing
        or behaving badly, report it. Post messages on the
        many Yahoo Groups. The internet provides yet another
        means of holding people accountable.

        It's also realistic to expect and demand that MPD and
        relevant human service agencies and our religious
        institutions to vigorously address the drug problem:
        helping people to find less destructive ways of
        earning a living, working with families essentially
        being held hostage by drug-dealers within.

        And we hope someday all children in the District will
        be provided with a world-class education and
        opportunities that allows them to have productive
        futures whether they want to be doctors or
        construction workers, professional athletes or artists
        or cops.

        I understand the lack of faith and trust many
        residents feel towards the police. When I have raised
        this issue with some senior officers, they've bordered
        on accusing me of fostering distrust which I interpret
        as their way of denying that there is a problem.

        I am one of many working to change that perception,
        and I am aware perceptions rooted in fact and history
        don't die easily. I'm old enough to vividly remember
        the abuses by police of anti-Vietnam War demonstrators
        and civil rights workers and an FBI of earlier days
        that planted agitators in civil rights and left-wing
        political groups to incite violence. And we have
        Members of Congress who seem to forget those lessons
        in the name of the "Global War on Terror."

        Again, it boils down to accountability and demanding
        and getting nothing less than professional, consistent
        behavior from law enforcement and the courts. That
        there have been and are abusives doesn't mean we
        should demand nothing but the best.

        Thanks very much for taking the time to join the
        discussion.

        Joe Martin
        ANC 4C09 Commissioner
        202-309-1817 cell
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4D-Neighbors

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • kalston266@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
          Is it me? I really don't get the point of this exchange? I want the drugs out of my alley. I don't give a damn about who/m talk on their cell phone while driving.

          Karen Alston

        • Bill and Rob
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
            Two things you need know:

            1. Police should enforce all the laws equally. By
            doing so, people will respect all of the laws. Cities
            with larger populations than DC understand this basic
            rule of thumb. And that is why their crime stats are
            lowers than DC's.

            2. There is a relationship between those who violate
            traffic laws and those who commit more sever offenses
            -- like selling drugs in your alley. Imagine that drug
            seller getting pulled over by a cop for a traffic
            violation (talking on the phone to his buyer while
            driving). Do you think the cop would or would not
            likely find the drugs in the car before they are sold
            in your alley.

            --- kalston266@... wrote:

            > Is it me? I really don't get the point of this
            > exchange? I want the drugs
            > out of my alley. I don't give a damn about who/m
            > talk on their cell phone while
            > driving.
            >

            > Karen Alston

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Bill and Rob
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
              No wonder DC drivers are rated the worst in the
              country by our insurance companies. And now our car
              insurance rates are through the roof.

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Joseph Martin
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005