Speeding Traffic

  • pyramus12
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009
      When can we get the constant speeding on 24th Street controlled? Cars come from Rhode Island Avenue or Irving St and speed without care. Our neighbor's dog was killed several months ago and another neighbor's kid was almost hit by one.

      Can the police monitor this street for the speeders? People are using it as a cut-through to avoid having to deal with the South Dakota turn and we have to deal with them speeding through our streets. Can we get speed humps? Or traffic calming measures in place?
    • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009
        Re: [MPD-5D] Speeding Traffic

        Speed humps work great and will deter the overall use of that route.  However in the meantime I will place the smart machine in the block which indicates how fast subjects are traveling.  This usually slows the traffic.

        To get speed humps you need signatures from 50 percent of the citizens within that street.  Again they are a great long term solution.

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009
          That would be great.....The majority of the speeding happens on Irving (between S. Dakota and 24th NE) and on 24th (between Irving and Rhode Island NE).  Some of the biggest offenders are UPS trucks, which file down the streets one after the other, even after UPS has been contacted and told us that they would talk to the drivers.

          I would love to see the speed tables put in and will put together something for all neighbors to sign.  We should also bring this up in the Rhode Island Great Streets meetings so that the increased traffic on S. Dakota turning left on RI  can be dealt with in the mornings.

          One last thing....what are they doing on the bridge on S Dakota and Vista.....it seems that they haven't been working on it in a long time and it still snarls traffic every day.  Does anyone know what's going on with that?

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009
            Its definitely an issue not just for 24th Street NE, but many of the
            streets in the South Dakota/Rhode Island NE area. We've got the same
            problem on Kearny, and I've seen it on 20th, 22nd, Jackson, even on
            Monroe which has traffic signals.

            Who do we need to contact to begin the petition process for speed
            humps? Additionally, would it be possible to look into the timing of
            the traffic lights on the main arterial streets in the area to make
            driving on those streets more efficient?

            B.

          • cninney@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009
              You need to contact DDOT they come out and do a survey and that along with the signatures gets the speed bumps, this is a least a 6 month project.  They will also look into the traffic light timing.
              Lieutenant Corinne Hughes

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009
                You can find out the information about South Dakota and Vista from your ANC Commissioner Janae Grant 5A11, she holds meeting once a month and the next one is on Tuesday April 14, 2009 at Friendship Public Charter 2959 Carlton Avenue NE from 6:30 to 8:30.  She know everything that is going on with this construction project.
                Lieutenant Corinne Hughes
                202-615-6803

[...]

              • Thomas, Harry (COUNCIL)
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009
                  I will follow up on these concerns my office has been working with your ANC on some of these and will attempt to expedite.
                  Harry Thomas
                  Sent from my Windows Mobile® phone.

                  <lamar.greene@ dc.gov> wrote:
                  > Speed humps work great and will deter the overall use of that route.
                  > However in the meantime I will place the smart machine in the block which
                  > indicates how fast subjects are traveling.  This usually slows the
                  > traffic.
                  >
                  > To get speed humps you need signatures from 50 percent of the citizens
                  > within that street.  Again they are a great long term solution.

                • Willie Hewett
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009
                    Dear Councilmember Thomas:

                    The very same traffic conditions exist at the intersection of 17th and Franklin Streets Ne.
                    I believe you are familiar with that intersection.  For years this street (Franklin) has been used as a cut through this neighborhood for people from Maryland coming off of South Dakota Avenue going in and out of the city.  There have been numerous accidents at this intersection.  We have tried to get a stoplight or stop sign on Franklin at this intersection for years to no avail.  Now that Access from Franklin to South Dakota has been temporarily stopped the problem has decreased but not abated.  School Children trying to get across Franklin from 17th to go to Rhode Island and on to buses or school have to dart through rush hour traffic.  Elderly neighbors who live on 17th dread this intersection and try to avoid it because it is dangerous.  At least a speed bump to slow the traffic at 17th and Franklin would slow the traffic and give the children,elderly and other drivers an opportunity to cross that street safely.  The records will show that there have been numerous accidents at this intersection and some deaths.  Why should this situation continue when it can be easily solved?

                    WNHewett

                    To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                    CC: AChase@...; Andre.Lee@...
                    From: hthomas@...
                    Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:21:53 -0400

                    <lamar.greene@ dc.gov> wrote:
                    > Speed humps work great and will deter the overall use of that route.
                    > However in the meantime I will place the smart machine in the block which
                    > indicates how fast subjects are traveling.  This usually slows the
                    > traffic.
                    >
                    > To get speed humps you need signatures from 50 percent of the citizens
                    > within that street.  Again they are a great long term solution.

                    Windows Live™ Contacts: Organize your contact list. Check it out.
                  • Thomas, Harry (COUNCIL)
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 15, 2009
                      Ms. Barnes on my staff will follow up.

                      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com
                      CC: AChase@DCCOUNCIL. US; Andre.Lee@dc. gov
                      From: hthomas@dccouncil. us
                      Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:21:53 -0400

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 16, 2009
                        Thanks for getting the Smart Machine for Speed out to our neighborhood, but it is on Irving St facing those leaving the neighborhood. It would actually do better if it was on 24th Street facing those turning onto it either from Irving St toward Rhode Island Avenue or in the opposite direction.

                        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, cninney@... wrote:

                        > You need to contact DDOT they come out and do a survey and that along with the signatures gets the speed bumps, this is a least a 6 month project.? They will also look into the traffic light timing.
                        >
                        > Lieutenant Corinne Hughes

                      • Daniel Brewer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 16, 2009
                          Yeah. I noticed that too. The majority of the problem is traffic headed up Irving toward 24th an on 24th headed toward Rhode Island

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Mar 16, 2009, at 3:37 PM, "pyramus12" <pyramus12@...> wrote:

                          Thanks for getting the Smart Machine for Speed out to our neighborhood, but it is on Irving St facing those leaving the neighborhood. It would actually do better if it was on 24th Street facing those turning onto it either from Irving St toward Rhode Island Avenue or in the opposite direction.

                          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, cninney@... wrote:

                          > You need to contact DDOT they come out and do a survey and that along with the signatures gets the speed bumps, this is a least a 6 month project.? They will also look into the traffic light timing.
                          >
                          > Lieutenant Corinne Hughes

                          #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; }#ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; }#ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; }div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; }div.attach-table { width: 400px; }-->l>

                        • sam_augusta
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 16, 2009
                            22nd St between South Dakota and Rhode Island is also swarmed with traffic avoiding the major intersection. Speeding Maryland and DC drivers make our residential street too dangerous. 40mph+ is typical during rush hour. Plus they are on the phone, not paying attention.

                            Sam Augusta
                            ANC 5A10 Resident

                            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Brewer <danielmbrewer@...> wrote:

                            > Yeah. I noticed that too. The majority of the problem is traffic headed up Irving toward 24th an on 24th headed toward Rhode Island
                            >
                            > Sent from my iPhone
                            >
                            > On Mar 16, 2009, at 3:37 PM, "pyramus12" <pyramus12@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Thanks for getting the Smart Machine for Speed out to our neighborhood, but it is on Irving St facing those leaving the neighborhood. It would actually do better if it was on 24th Street facing those turning onto it either from Irving St toward Rhode Island Avenue or in the opposite direction.
                            >
                            > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, cninney@ wrote:
                            > >

                            > > You need to contact DDOT they come out and do a survey and that along with the signatures gets the speed bumps, this is a least a 6 month project.? They will also look into the traffic light timing.
                            > >
                            > > Lieutenant Corinne Hughes

                          • Thompson, Alice (EOM)
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 16, 2009
                              Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Speeding Traffic

                              Good Evening,

                              I will send this email to DDOT's Customer Service Office.

                              Please be assured they will rapidly respond to your request.

                              Alice

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 5, 2010
                                Good Afternoon,

                                It's been about a year since this string of posts regarding speeding in the vicinity of Rhode Island Ave. and South Dakota. Unfortunately, we haven't seen much change. In that time, however, I have gotten the speed bump petition signed by my neighbors on 22nd St. and given it to the ANC (5A10).

                                I have been told that once the signatures are in not to expect speed bumps for a long time (It's been about four months so far). Also, that snow removal has eaten up the speed bump budget. But with the Federal Emergency dollars coming for the December storm and most likely for the February snows as well, there should be money to install some speed bumps again. This is really a DDOT issue I suspect.

                                But until then, is there any type of speed enforcement for the neighborhood streets in this area available?

                                Thank you,

                                Sam Augusta
                                22nd St.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 5, 2010
                                  We can monitor and conduct lidar enforcement periodically. I will also forward this location to our traffic enforcement unit as well for consideration for photo radar enforcement as well.
                                  Commander Lamar D. Greene