Re: [MPD-5D] Response to article in the "Afro American"

  • Joey
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
      There is not a traffic enforcement unit or divison in mpd anymore. It was disbanded along with other units years ago. It should be brought back sometime this year.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
> [...]

        > with internet access and those without. I see no
        > evidence of that. In my own Single Member District
        > there are many, many seniors and many long-term
        > residents who use the internet.
        >
        > There is no conflict among people who want safe
        > streets, whether or not they have internet access.
        > Residents of all ages, long term and new, want to be
        > able to sit in their living rooms without having
        > bullets fly through the windows. Residents of all
        > races and ethnic backgrounds want and have a right
        > safe streets right now, 24/7.
        >
        > No one has a right to terrorize our neighborhoods.
        > No
        > one has a right to use intimidation and violence to
        > keep people in a state of fear in their homes. And
        > we
        > don't have to believe it's a choice between creating
        > more opportunities and having effective law

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Bill and Rob
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
> [...]

          > with internet access and those without. I see no
          > evidence of that. In my own Single Member District
          > there are many, many seniors and many long-term
          > residents who use the internet.
          >
          > There is no conflict among people who want safe
          > streets, whether or not they have internet access.
          > Residents of all ages, long term and new, want to be
          > able to sit in their living rooms without having
          > bullets fly through the windows. Residents of all
          > races and ethnic backgrounds want and have a right
          > safe streets right now, 24/7.
          >
          > No one has a right to terrorize our neighborhoods.
          > No
          > one has a right to use intimidation and violence to
          > keep people in a state of fear in their homes. And
          > we
          > don't have to believe it's a choice between creating
          > more opportunities and having effective law

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Joseph Martin
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
            I'm in full agreement, Bill and Rob, so I don't think
            I'm missing that mark, but I'm always open to
            constructive criticism.

            It boils down to holding all police accountable for
            consistent, professional behavior nothing less.

            Cops who don't do their jobs should be reprimanded. If
            they continue to under perform or are abusive, they
            should be fired. If you witness a cop not performing
            or behaving badly, report it. Post messages on the
            many Yahoo Groups. The internet provides yet another
            means of holding people accountable.

            It's also realistic to expect and demand that MPD and
            relevant human service agencies and our religious
            institutions to vigorously address the drug problem:
            helping people to find less destructive ways of
            earning a living, working with families essentially
            being held hostage by drug-dealers within.

            And we hope someday all children in the District will
            be provided with a world-class education and
            opportunities that allows them to have productive
            futures whether they want to be doctors or
            construction workers, professional athletes or artists
            or cops.

            I understand the lack of faith and trust many
            residents feel towards the police. When I have raised
            this issue with some senior officers, they've bordered
            on accusing me of fostering distrust which I interpret
            as their way of denying that there is a problem.

            I am one of many working to change that perception,
            and I am aware perceptions rooted in fact and history
            don't die easily. I'm old enough to vividly remember
            the abuses by police of anti-Vietnam War demonstrators
            and civil rights workers and an FBI of earlier days
            that planted agitators in civil rights and left-wing
            political groups to incite violence. And we have
            Members of Congress who seem to forget those lessons
            in the name of the "Global War on Terror."

            Again, it boils down to accountability and demanding
            and getting nothing less than professional, consistent
            behavior from law enforcement and the courts. That
            there have been and are abusives doesn't mean we
            should demand nothing but the best.

            Thanks very much for taking the time to join the
            discussion.

            Joe Martin
            ANC 4C09 Commissioner
            202-309-1817 cell
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4D-Neighbors

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • kalston266@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
              Is it me? I really don't get the point of this exchange? I want the drugs out of my alley. I don't give a damn about who/m talk on their cell phone while driving.

              Karen Alston

            • Bill and Rob
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
                Two things you need know:

                1. Police should enforce all the laws equally. By
                doing so, people will respect all of the laws. Cities
                with larger populations than DC understand this basic
                rule of thumb. And that is why their crime stats are
                lowers than DC's.

                2. There is a relationship between those who violate
                traffic laws and those who commit more sever offenses
                -- like selling drugs in your alley. Imagine that drug
                seller getting pulled over by a cop for a traffic
                violation (talking on the phone to his buyer while
                driving). Do you think the cop would or would not
                likely find the drugs in the car before they are sold
                in your alley.

                --- kalston266@... wrote:

                > Is it me? I really don't get the point of this
                > exchange? I want the drugs
                > out of my alley. I don't give a damn about who/m
                > talk on their cell phone while
                > driving.
                >

                > Karen Alston

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Bill and Rob
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
                  No wonder DC drivers are rated the worst in the
                  country by our insurance companies. And now our car
                  insurance rates are through the roof.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
                    Well said. Thank you.
                    JM