Re: [MPD-5D] pocket rockets

  • RobbyCU
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2009
      Can MPD simply enforce the law as it is? Are there barriers to enforcement? If so how can the community help to affect any needed legislation?

      "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

      President Barack Obama

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2009
        In short, Yes.
        Segways are address in the links sent earlier this week in this MPD 5D Yahoo Group.
        The is a section for Personal Mobility Thinga-majigs.  The Segways.

        It seems they have quite a bit a leeway, but I will leave the PDF to spell out the law.
        It seems that they are only encouraged to stay off the sidewalks.  Adults can not be told to wear helmets.

        In the end, it seems legal for a Segway to race up behind you, on the sidewalk.  -j

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2009
          Every year this comes up. I sincerely hope that this year MPD will acknowledge and accept that any motorized vehicle needs to be registered and insured in order to be road worthy in the District of Columbia.

          The law does not seem ambiguous.

          These bikes are so dangerous for the ones who ride them on the road, and they are dangerous for pedestrians on the sidewalk.

          Thanks everyone for bringing up the matter again.