Re: [MPD-5D] Response to article in the "Afro American"

  • Joey
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1 11:29 AM
      There is not a traffic enforcement unit or divison in mpd anymore. It was disbanded along with other units years ago. It should be brought back sometime this year.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5 4:09 AM
        I am quoted in an article in the latest edition of the
        Afro-American. I write here to address the sense of
        that article written by Ingrid Drake. This posting
        originally appeared last night on the 4D-Neighbors
        Yahoo Group:

        Joseph Martin
        ANC 4C09 Commissioner
        Petworth
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anc4c09
        202-309-1817 cell

        I applaud Ingrid Drake's interest in neighborhood
        issues but I think the article she authored misses the
        mark unfortunately.

        For one point, I do not see a disparity in wanting
        better opportunities for our youth (and everyone for
        that matter) and wanting
        neighborhoods to be safe.

        It's sad to read the statement by the "grandmother,
        who chose to remain unidentified...who doesn't want to
[...]

        races and ethnic backgrounds want and have a right to
        safe streets right now, 24/7.

        No one has a right to terrorize our neighborhoods. No
        one has a right to use intimidation and violence to
        keep people in a state of fear in their homes. And we
        don't have to believe it's a choice between creating
        more opportunities and having effective law
        enforcement.

        We can and should have both.

        Joseph Martin
        ANC 4C09 Commissioner
        202-309-1817 cell
        Grant Circle / Petworth
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anc4c09

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Bill and Rob
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5 5:13 AM
> [...]

          > with internet access and those without. I see no
          > evidence of that. In my own Single Member District
          > there are many, many seniors and many long-term
          > residents who use the internet.
          >
          > There is no conflict among people who want safe
          > streets, whether or not they have internet access.
          > Residents of all ages, long term and new, want to be
          > able to sit in their living rooms without having
          > bullets fly through the windows. Residents of all
          > races and ethnic backgrounds want and have a right
          > safe streets right now, 24/7.
          >
          > No one has a right to terrorize our neighborhoods.
          > No
          > one has a right to use intimidation and violence to
          > keep people in a state of fear in their homes. And
          > we
          > don't have to believe it's a choice between creating
          > more opportunities and having effective law

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Bill and Rob
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5 5:13 AM
> [...]

            > with internet access and those without. I see no
            > evidence of that. In my own Single Member District
            > there are many, many seniors and many long-term
            > residents who use the internet.
            >
            > There is no conflict among people who want safe
            > streets, whether or not they have internet access.
            > Residents of all ages, long term and new, want to be
            > able to sit in their living rooms without having
            > bullets fly through the windows. Residents of all
            > races and ethnic backgrounds want and have a right
            > safe streets right now, 24/7.
            >
            > No one has a right to terrorize our neighborhoods.
            > No
            > one has a right to use intimidation and violence to
            > keep people in a state of fear in their homes. And
            > we
            > don't have to believe it's a choice between creating
            > more opportunities and having effective law

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Bill and Rob
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 5 5:13 AM
> [...]

              > with internet access and those without. I see no
              > evidence of that. In my own Single Member District
              > there are many, many seniors and many long-term
              > residents who use the internet.
              >
              > There is no conflict among people who want safe
              > streets, whether or not they have internet access.
              > Residents of all ages, long term and new, want to be
              > able to sit in their living rooms without having
              > bullets fly through the windows. Residents of all
              > races and ethnic backgrounds want and have a right
              > safe streets right now, 24/7.
              >
              > No one has a right to terrorize our neighborhoods.
              > No
              > one has a right to use intimidation and violence to
              > keep people in a state of fear in their homes. And
              > we
              > don't have to believe it's a choice between creating
              > more opportunities and having effective law

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Joseph Martin
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5 8:08 AM
                I'm in full agreement, Bill and Rob, so I don't think
                I'm missing that mark, but I'm always open to
                constructive criticism.

                It boils down to holding all police accountable for
                consistent, professional behavior nothing less.

                Cops who don't do their jobs should be reprimanded. If
                they continue to under perform or are abusive, they
                should be fired. If you witness a cop not performing
                or behaving badly, report it. Post messages on the
                many Yahoo Groups. The internet provides yet another
                means of holding people accountable.

                It's also realistic to expect and demand that MPD and
                relevant human service agencies and our religious
                institutions to vigorously address the drug problem:
                helping people to find less destructive ways of
                earning a living, working with families essentially
                being held hostage by drug-dealers within.

                And we hope someday all children in the District will
                be provided with a world-class education and
                opportunities that allows them to have productive
                futures whether they want to be doctors or
                construction workers, professional athletes or artists
                or cops.

                I understand the lack of faith and trust many
                residents feel towards the police. When I have raised
                this issue with some senior officers, they've bordered
                on accusing me of fostering distrust which I interpret
                as their way of denying that there is a problem.

                I am one of many working to change that perception,
                and I am aware perceptions rooted in fact and history
                don't die easily. I'm old enough to vividly remember
                the abuses by police of anti-Vietnam War demonstrators
                and civil rights workers and an FBI of earlier days
                that planted agitators in civil rights and left-wing
                political groups to incite violence. And we have
                Members of Congress who seem to forget those lessons
                in the name of the "Global War on Terror."

                Again, it boils down to accountability and demanding
                and getting nothing less than professional, consistent
                behavior from law enforcement and the courts. That
                there have been and are abusives doesn't mean we
                should demand nothing but the best.

                Thanks very much for taking the time to join the
                discussion.

                Joe Martin
                ANC 4C09 Commissioner
                202-309-1817 cell
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4D-Neighbors

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • kalston266@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5 9:07 AM
                  Is it me? I really don't get the point of this exchange? I want the drugs out of my alley. I don't give a damn about who/m talk on their cell phone while driving.

                  Karen Alston

                • Bill and Rob
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5 10:57 AM
                    Two things you need know:

                    1. Police should enforce all the laws equally. By
                    doing so, people will respect all of the laws. Cities
                    with larger populations than DC understand this basic
                    rule of thumb. And that is why their crime stats are
                    lowers than DC's.

                    2. There is a relationship between those who violate
                    traffic laws and those who commit more sever offenses
                    -- like selling drugs in your alley. Imagine that drug
                    seller getting pulled over by a cop for a traffic
                    violation (talking on the phone to his buyer while
                    driving). Do you think the cop would or would not
                    likely find the drugs in the car before they are sold
                    in your alley.

                    --- kalston266@... wrote:

                    > Is it me? I really don't get the point of this
                    > exchange? I want the drugs
                    > out of my alley. I don't give a damn about who/m
                    > talk on their cell phone while
                    > driving.
                    >

                    > Karen Alston

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Bill and Rob
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5 12:10 PM
                      No wonder DC drivers are rated the worst in the
                      country by our insurance companies. And now our car
                      insurance rates are through the roof.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5 12:18 PM
                        Well said. Thank you.
                        JM