RE: [MPD-5D] Successful Safety Walk

  • Keith Jarrell
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2009

      Ms. Henderson,

      I commend you for your continued efforts in 5D.  It is remarkable and quiet impressive that you continue for fight for safer streets and an improved neighborhood.

      I have been trying to get out to walk with you and the others but have so far failed.  It seems there is always something taking my time here in 4D.

      I will try to get there this coming week and experience what you and the others are seeing as you walk in your neighborhood.  I have held and have participated in many walks both here in 4D and in the first District when I lived on Capital Hill,  and know well the importance of visibility of those that respect the rules that we are all supposed to be living by.  I admire your hard work and constant pursuit of a better neighborhood.  I hope to see you soon and perhaps walk along with you and your supports in 5D.  Keep up the great work and know that even if from a distance it is greatly admired and respected as an effort that will some day effect all of us.

      Keith Jarrell

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10
        What a night for a safety walk; it's cold and blustery, causing your finger tips and toes to numb almost instantly. The criminals did not take a break on Benning Rd, so neither did we. I offer a hearty thank you to Officers Thompson and Bethel for walking with us and intervening in an escalating matter. We stopped at the MidCity Restaurant at 1822 Benning Rd and observed the owner in distress; he made it clear that he wanted an individual to leave and not return. He waved a crisp Barring Notice and our fearless officers served the individual immediately (great timing). The disorderly individual and angry cohorts left grumbling and cursing. The Barring Notice protects the store owner and the community from the individual who appeared to be trafficking illegal drugs. The subject will be arrested immediately upon entering the premises again. I highly recommend business and property owners using this effective tool to help curtail illegal activity.

        We will continue our safety walks with our officers and I urge everyone to participate. Let us take action now to ensure a safe summer. Working with our police partners is an effective tool in the fight against crime. "When residents have a stronghold, criminals cannot get a foothold."

        Kathy Henderson, 5D05

        Sent from my iPhone
      • Carol Carter Walker
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12
          Are these bar notices legal?
          How does a small business go about getting them?

[...]

          carolcarterwalker@...
          (202) 636-8138 (H/O)
          (202) 744-3872 (C)

        • Kathy Henderson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12
            They are definitely legal and a beneficial tool in the fight against crime. You can get them from the Fifth District. An officer must serve the offending individual to put them on notice not to enter the establishment again. If the individual violates the barring notice they can be arrested.

            Kathy Henderson, 5D05

            Sent from my iPhone