Successful Safety Walk

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2009
      Thank you neighbors, Captain West and Officer Miller for a successful safety walk on Wednesday night. We started on 17th and L Streets, then proceeded down to M Street and on to the 1100 block of 16th Street, in Trinidad. When we headed down 16th Street we encountered a rowdy cast of characters, that quickly dispersed. Before moving on, the rowdy ones cursed, screamed, scuffled and yelled at Officer Miller (because he had arrested them several times). We quietly stood our ground and the rowdy ones retreated into the night, confirming what we already knew; the streets belong to us.

      We will reaffirm our claim to our streets the same time next week and Councilmember Mendelson will join us. All are welcome to participate.

      Kathy Henderson

    • Keith Jarrell
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2009

        Ms. Henderson,

        I commend you for your continued efforts in 5D.  It is remarkable and quiet impressive that you continue for fight for safer streets and an improved neighborhood.

        I have been trying to get out to walk with you and the others but have so far failed.  It seems there is always something taking my time here in 4D.

        I will try to get there this coming week and experience what you and the others are seeing as you walk in your neighborhood.  I have held and have participated in many walks both here in 4D and in the first District when I lived on Capital Hill,  and know well the importance of visibility of those that respect the rules that we are all supposed to be living by.  I admire your hard work and constant pursuit of a better neighborhood.  I hope to see you soon and perhaps walk along with you and your supports in 5D.  Keep up the great work and know that even if from a distance it is greatly admired and respected as an effort that will some day effect all of us.

        Keith Jarrell