RE: [MPD-5D] Fwd: Washington DC Guardian Angels Patrols Date Corr ection

  • Hill, Cynthia (OCME)
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23 7:30 AM

      Many, many thanks to Guardian Angels Jordan Estrada, Hassan Taylor and John Ayala!!!

      From: midatlantic . <midatlantic@ guardianangels. org>
      Date: Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM
      Subject: Washington DC Guardian Angels Patrols
      To: midatlantic@ guardianangels. org

      Patrol Report: 2-2-2009

      At 2130 hours, Guardian Angels Jordan Estrada, Hassan Taylor and John Ayala met up at China Town/Gallery Place to begin patrol. For the next two hours we proceeded to patrol the 7th and H street area surrounding the Metro Station exit.

      At approximately 2210 hours, we responded to a female assault victim who had been struck in the head and was bleeding from the nose. We assisted Metropolitan Police officers in creating a perimeter and facilitating emergency vehicle access to the scene.

      At approximately 2230 hours, we posted up in front of the local McDonald's where SPO Sgt. Johnson asked us for assistance in keeping teen groups from loitering in and around the store. We provided him with backup.

      At approximately 2300 hours, we assisted in the search for the perpetrators of an assault on a bus driver. We detained three individuals who met the physical description of the suspects until the police could question them.

      At 2300 hours, we disbanded the patrol and all Angels headed home. While heading home, at approximately 2350 hours, Angel Taylor observed a man waiting to get onto the Red Line Metro towards Glenmont holding a wad of money and a bag of marijuana. Taylor approached and detained the man, who began to struggle, making as if to reach for a hidden weapon. Taylor was able to restrain him until Metro Transit officer Leo ID number 5533 and officer Vargess ID number 182 arrived on scene. The officers questioned and searched him and found the bag of marijuana in his possession, along with a knife, which he claimed he carried for self defense. Angel Taylor stayed on scene until the officers completed the arrest.

      At approximately 0010 hours, I encountered a drunken, disorderly individual while on the Orange Line heading toward Vienna . He made a number of threatening comments and gestures towards me and other individuals. I talked to him and managed to calm him down without a struggle. He produced a bottle of alcohol. I informed him that he could not drink on the metro. He handed me the bottle and I placed it on the seat next to him, ordering him to throw it in the trash when we reached Vienna . The man, who identified himself as Bobby Underwood began to talk loudly and threateningly. I told him to keep his voice down, and he complied. Several minutes later, he got very close to my face and resumed his hostile tone. I told him to return to his seat and he complied.

      At approximately 0035 hours, we arrived at the Vienna Metro Station. The passengers, who had witnessed the above interactions expressed their thanks and appreciation as they left. Once alone on the platform, I told Mr. Underwood to dispose of his alcohol. He complied with some hesitation. I then escorted him back to the ticket gate. He claimed that he was dangerous, and unless I called the police, he was going to do something. I had the Metro official call the police while I continued to talk to him for the next half hour, keeping him calm.

      At approximately 0100 hours, Metro Transit officer Sheffield arrived on scene and told Mr. Underwood to take a cab to wherever he was going to spend the night.

      At approximately 0115 hours, I saw officer Sheffield talking to Mr. Underwood, who had climbed over the fence at the Vienna Metro Station and was standing on a ledge two stories above the highway, threatening to jump off and kill himself. Officer Sheffield and myself talked to Mr. Underwood for fifteen minutes, keeping him from jumping until Fairfax police and fire officials arrived. They quickly succeeded in talking Mr. Underwood down and took him into custody at 0145 hours.

      The Guardian Angels of Madison

      John "Unique" Ayala
      Director Of Operations
      Washington DC