Constant drug activity-NY Ave & N. Capitol St

  • White, Stephen L
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005

      I have lived in the Eckington neighborhood going on 6 months now, and there is a chronic problem with drugs near the corner of N. Capitol St and New York Ave NW .

      A couple of buildings from the northwest corner of those two streets, there are constantly strung-out individuals milling about on the sidewalk. On at least one occasion, I have seen money change hands, followed by the exchange of a small bag of God-knows-what. Perhaps relatedly, there are people often standing on the median on New York Avenue heading west towards I-395 who are panhandling, and some of them seem pretty strung-out, too. They are a potential hazard to motorists traveling on New York Ave , but I’m also concerned for their own safety. Can’t the police do something about this? At the risk of stating the obvious, perhaps cracking down on the drug activity at the aforementioned corner would remedy this situation.

      Thanks,

      Stephen

      Todd Pl NE