RE: [MPD-5D] Re: crime in truxton circle

  • Jordan, Brian (MPD)
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
      To the Truxton Circle Community

      In response to the numerous e-mails that have been generated regarding Truxton Circle, the MPD has been vigorously investigating the string of shootings that have recently occurred. Our preliminary information indicates that the incident revolves around individuals who are known to each other. Unfortunately, we do not have any witnesses to the incident that can help with identification of the individuals involved which is why the case remains open. Hopefully you have all noticed the increased police presence in the area in an effort to gather information that would lead to an arrest. Consistent with all cases of this nature, crime solvers offers up to $1000.00 to anyone who's information leads to the arrest and conviction of the involved suspects.

      The Truxton Circle area was originally identified as one of the first communities to be targeted under our hot spots initiative. The events of the past two weeks are alarming to us all and reminds us that our work is not over in removing individuals from the community who are set on holding our progress back. Over the past two years the community and the police have worked together to impact crime violence and the fear of crime in this community. The members of the Fifth District and MPD will continue to work with the community to address this spate of violence.

      Specifically, we have moved our police van back into the area of First St., NW. In addition we have increased the uniform and non-uniform presence in the area to try to locate witness's and suspects in reference to the string of events. We have also been monitoring this list serve to remain aware of the community concerns that this incident has generated. These incidents are not indicative of the progress that we have made in this community. We continue to monitor the crime statistics from this area and our figures indicate that this community is experiencing an approximate 59% decrease in overall crime, when compared to last year. These figures represent either no change or decreases in every crime category that we measure.

      The fact that we have not removed every criminal from this area reminds us that we have to continue to work together, between the community and the police,to continue our succesful efforts in eliminating crime. The key component is that we have to continue to work together on this issue. If anyone has any specific information that can help our investigators locate the involved individuals, please call (202) 727-9099 24 hours a day.

      Please be assured that we are monitoring your comments and are doing everything in our power to make your community safe to live in.

      Brian K. Jordan
      Assistant Chief of Police
      Regional Operations Command Central
      1500 Eckington Pl., NE
      Washington, DC 20002
      e-mail address: brian.jordan@...
      202 576-8881 Office
      202 576-6056 Fax

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
        Good Evening Everyone,

        It pains me to know that many of my Ward 5 neighbors share the problem of
        neighborhood crime. My area was literally overrun by open-air drug markets,
        drive-by daylight shootings and a variety of crimes. Criminals made the
        decision to capture prime real estate for their illicit and blatantly
        illegal activities. My citizens and I have taken an active stand against the
        criminals by reporting all illegal activity around the clock and actively
        working with our 5th District representatives. We attend the PSA meetings,
        walk with the "Orange Hats" and we remain vigilant.

        As a result violent crime in PSA 504 is down 34% and other crime is down
        12%. We will not allow criminals to define how we live and remain silent
        while they take over. We deserve peaceful, safe and clean communities and we
        will accept nothing less.

        I urge each of you to participate in the scheduled "National Night Out"
        event in your area tomorrow. There is strength in numbers. I am glad to see
        that so many Ward 5 citizens are unwilling to accept crime. Each of us can
        make a difference.

        Sincerely,

        Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5B10