West Virginia Avenue, NE

  • Tracey Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12, 2009
      Good afternoon ... I am a fairly new resident (since September 2008) of the District of Columbia.  While I view the numerous emails related to cleaning up the "Trinidad" area, I have yet to see any mention of West Virginia Avenue, NE.  I reside in the 1700 block of West Virginia Avenue, NE and would like to know what is and can be done about cleaning up my street.

      There is an obvious daily and nightly drug presence (selling and usage) in the 1700 block of WV Ave., between Mt. Olivet and Raum, that goes unaddressed by the police department.  As you know, West Virginia Avenue is a main thoroughfare for police cruisers going and coming from the police yard.  However, during these goings and comings the police cruisers never slow down and/or stop to address the obvious drug problem.  It seems to me that if even one cruiser spent a bit of time parked on the block it would eliminate/curtail the problem.

      Also, what can be done about the trash strewn up and down the block in front of vacant and occupied apartment buildings.  Can the owners of these buildings be given notices to clean up their property or risk reciving citations for not doing so?  It is truly deplorable the way the block is littered with trash.

      Is anyone even the least bit interested in cleaning up this main thoroughfare into and out of the City?  I am!

      Signed, Concerned New Resident

    • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2009

        I am glad to hear your concerns and we are making arrest in your area daily.  We have made many arrest for narcotics as well as prostitution on West Virginia Avenue . We will continue our efforts in that area and I will cc Alice Thompson for coordination of the trash issue.  Please continue to keep me informed and don’t hesitate to come to the PSA 504 community meeting held every third Saturday at 10 am.  The location will be posted well in advance on the list serv.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2009
          Thank you for your prompt response and I will attend the next PSA 504 community meeting.

        • khenderson029@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 12, 2009
            Hello Tracey:

            Your area is definitely a part of Trinidad and efforts to transform this community certainly include West Virginia Ave. and surrounding streets. Our safety patrol group walks on a different street in Trinidad, Carver and Langston Terrace each week. One of our members lives on your street. Please allow me to welcome you to the community and the listserv. I invite you to come out and walk with us each Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. We will assemble at the corner of 17th and L Streets, NE. I look forward to meeting you.

            Sincerely,

            Kathy Henderson

            Nothing says I love you like flowers! Find a florist near you now.
          • Thompson, Alice (EOM)
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
              Re: [MPD-5D] West Virginia Avenue, NE

              Good Morning All,

              May I take a moment to thank two outstanding, hard working citizens -- ANC Commissioner Rosetta Davis and Activist Robert Mann for their quick response to your inquiry.

              Also, as always Commander Greene and his Officers are aware and do have a plan in motion.  Many times citizens think the police don't have a clue as to what is going on -- they know -- next thing you know the block is shut down.

              I have been working with DCRA to correct several apartment buildings on West Virginia Avenue, NE.

              In fact, the time frame for abatement is over. DCRA reported over 8 units that are not in compliance; trash, debris, failure to obtain proper trash receptacles, failure to ensure proper pick-up, and failure to close and secure crawl space areas -- raccoons are abound.

              I will notify DCRA Tuesday and request immediate enforcement.

              Further, I and Come. Davis will visit your Community Monday morning @ 11:30AM so that I may
               document your complaints and thus move forward with a speedy resolution.

              I sincerely hope that you will be available to accompany us on this Walk -- Thru.  Monday is a legal holiday.

              I look forward to meeting you and if unavailable, please be sure to visit the New Trinidad Association meeting Feb. 17th.  I will present a slide show of improvements in your Community -- under the auspices of Mayor Fenty's Operation Fix-It.

              You may reach me on alice.thompson@... or 202-340-7038

              Again, thank you very much for caring about your community.

              As Always,

              Alice

            • tracey.williams1713@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
                Thank you for your time and attention. Please let me know the time you plan to do your walk-thru tomorrow, Monday, Feb. 16, and I will join you.

                Tracey Williams

                Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                From: "Thompson, Alice \(EOM\)"
                Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:47:41 -0500