Eight Quincy Place NE: public urinal

  • k3
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2009
      Today around 11:00 I saw a guy duck behind this property and emerge a
      minute or so later, adjusting his clothing. Around 11:30, I saw
      another guy do something similar.

      Fencing this property would just push the problem further down the
      alley (and closer to us). When people gotta go, they gotta go.

      Street commerce is often the source of this problem. The bad economy
      is affecting everyone, and the black market is becoming more and more
      profitable. It won't be going away any time soon (in fact, the
      opposite).

      Another source is people hanging around outside all day. We can't stop
      that from happening either. If those folks aren't drinking beer,
      they'll be drinking soda. The warmer the weather, the more liquids
      will be consumed.

      I bet police officers don't enjoy chasing down and busting people for
      heeding the call of nature, no matter how illegal it is. And I bet
      administrators don't like having to allocate precious resources for it
      either.

      Maybe we need to find a way to install and maintain safe, hygienic
      public urinals. It is being done in other cities; surely it can be
      done here.

      Some people say this would just attract more "riff-raff". But done
      right, it could end up attracting an even greater amount of desireable
      foot traffic. That's one citizen's POV, anyway.