Crime and the Economy

  • Chairman, 5D Citizens' Advisory Council
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2009

      Dear Neighbors:

      The Nation and the District face serious economic challenges.  It is clear the road to economic recovery will be long and painful. The decisions made by our elected and corporate leaders will have a dramatic impact on our lives and the quality of live for our friends, families, neighbors, and our communities.

      Sadly, crime as well as the economy may become headline news in 2009.  As our economy plummets, crime increases. According to reports the FBI is already blaming the downturn in the economy for a wave of armed bank robberies around the country.  Although, 5th District MPD Commander Lamar Greene has reported reduction in crime within 5D for January 2009 over the same period for January 2008, these reductions in the areas of homicide (Jan08 -2; Jan09 -1), robbery (Jan08 – 30; Jan09 – 23), and burglary (Jan08 – 29; Jan09 – 21) are modest with an 88% percent increase in “theft” other than “theft from auto” (Jan08 – 33; Jan09 – 62).

      I know all of us want to live, work, retire, worship, and raise our families in the District of Columbia free of crime or the fear of crime.  Those among us who commit crimes and engage in acts of violence should be swiftly arrested and prosecuted.  However, as a community we should also do what we can to look after one another, particularly our youth, so good people are not forced to make life altering decisions to survive or to support their families. Good jobs and high quality education are critical to moving us forward.

      Neighbors; please know you make up the 5th District Citizens’ Advisory Council (5DCAC).  Your support, commentary, advice, and participation can only help 5DCAC to become stronger to work on behalf of you and other residents of Ward 5.  In continuing its strong partnership with Ward 5 Councilman Harry Thomas, Jr., Ward 5 Advisory Neighborhood Commissioners, At-Large Councilman Phil Mendelson (Chairman, Committee on Public Safety and the Judiciary), 5D Commander Lamar Greene, and Chief of Police Cathy Lanier, Jeffrey Taylor, U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia, and you; 5DCAC is positioned to help our government leaders to navigate through some of the challenges facing us in these troubled times.

      Let’s work and walk together through 2009 and beyond for our community, our City, our children, and our spiritual – community service legacy. The next meeting of 5DCAC is Thursday, 26 February 2009, 5D MPD Headquarters, 1805 Bladensburg Road, NE, 7pm.

      Robert

      Robert Vinson Brannum

      Chairman

      5th District Citizens’ Advisory Council