Re: [MPD-5D] Homicide 300 block of S Street, NE

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
      Again, this sounds like a rationalization for not getting involved and back-peddling.

      Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499.
    • garyrahman@netzero.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
        Hey k3's original message read to me as if their was doubt on his part if he made the right judgment call by not calling the police. So it went from a woman asking for help to a mutter under some ones breath? Folks this sight is to inform and request service for issues in our Neborhood not story time. K3 if you were not concern about what you saw don't post it on this sight. That way your judgment is not questioned but you did and from your original message call the police if you see two people argue in a public place and please call if someone even mutters help.

        Gary Rahman
        Quantum Leap Investments
        111 South Calvert Street suite 2700
        410 385-5337 office 410 235-7251 fax
        www.quantumleapinvestments.net

        From: Taylor Armstrong
        Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 23:17:16 -0500
        To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Homicide 300 block of S Street, NE

        I have to say that I agree with this 100%.  Some of us have had much more heated exchanges online than what "k3" described.  You want me to call the police because I saw someone muttering under their breath on the sidewalk?!?

        I think using you own best judgement is the key, and I don't see anything in "k3's" original comment that would have caused me to call the police.  If it would have caused some of your to do so, I'd better watch myself...  my facial expression as I walk down the street to the metro in the morning facing a day at work might get SWAT called to take me into custody!  ;)

        FWIW, I don't get all the references to Georgetown.  I spend a fair bit of time in the area every week, and honestly, I think people there are less concerned about their neighborhood than here.  There is certainly less of a feeling of community from what I've seen than what I enjoy in my neighborhood.

        Taylor (PSA502)

        On Feb 1, 2009, at 5:55 PM, k3 wrote:

        AGAIN, there was no exchange. There was no disturbance. There was no disorderly conduct. There was no criminal behavior. No one needed assistance. There were no angry participants. There was one woman, muttering as she walked down the street [sort of] with a silent man. And -unless, further down the block, she ended up acting out her ill-feelings - I bet no one else called the police (and would have, even in Georgetown).

        In America, we respect the liberty of others. Though I am pretty good at reading the subtleties of body language, I'm not perfect. And even obvious body language doesn't disturb the peace. We can't leave side by side in cities without affording each other some degree of privacy. That's why busybodies thrive in small towns.

        Some people may think they want to live in an authoritarian society (try it sometime) where everyone must adhere to a ridiculously strict code of behavior, where people have to pretend to be happy in order to walk down the sidewalk without fear of throwing observers into such a panic they feel compelled to involve the police. I - and thankfully most of the rest of us - do not. What good is safety if our behavior is so restricted it can't even be called "living"?

        Like I said, I mentioned it on the unlikely chance it was the same woman AND it has been determined that, in order to locate and prosecute her murderer, knowing every detail of that day's stream of events might be useful. If there's a next time, I will communicate this (probably irrelevant) information privately - though a lone bit of unconnected info might be less useful to the police.

        Otherwise, I could inadvertently end up giving others an opportunity to exaggerate and distort the facts in order to champion intolerance and repression ... and that would be irresponsible and dangerous.

        PS If any cop listening wants to be called out every time someone observes a fellow citizen who is merely angry, please speak up. If that's the case, you'd better come and put the handcuffs on me right now!