ANCs Meetings w/Chief Judge Satterfield

  • Gigi Ransom
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2009
      Today, I received a call from Mr. Stephens, an assistant to Chief Judge Satterfield.  Mr. Stephens informed that Chief Judge Satterfield would like to start meeting with ANCs.  He is attempting to organize/schedule these meetings by ward.  As ANCs duly elected to represent and speak on behalf of their consituents in each single member district (SMD), this action now brings into play a part of government which will give/add a higher level of "great weight" to the concerns of the outstanding community activists who have come forth and organized to address issues concerning crime, defendants and citizens rights in the DC judicial process.  The Ward 5 meeting is scheduled for the end of February.

      If you aren't aware, ANC commission have the legislative authority to submit proposed legislation to the DC Council for consideration.  Commission resolutions carry "great weight" and must be addressed in considerations/decisions before the Council, agencies, boards & commissions. in DC and on the federal level.

      I extend my deepest gratitude to all the concerned citizens, crime-fighting grass roots organizations; and to MPD, the US-DC Attorney Office, DC Attorney General's Office, who saw, welcomed and appreciated the value of citizen input in the judicial process to address the recent problems in releasing or not retaining arrested individuals, who had the potential to commit more crimes at the risk of law-abiding citizens.

      Depending on the content and any potential request(s) made by Chief Judge Satterfield during this meeting, I am committed to serve in some capacity to assist in making the DC Superior Court system, one that is fair to all parties involved, to protect the interests of law abiding citizens, and support other citizens, MPD, whether individually or collectively in their efforts.

      Gigi Ransom
      Commissioner, ANC 5C12