Homicide 300 block of S Street, NE

  • Grogan, Brian (MPD)
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 29, 2009

      On January 28, 2009, at approximately 11:15 PM, a male suspect stabbed an adult female on the back before he fled from the area.  The female victim was taken to Howard Hospital for treatment but later succumbed to her injury.  It is suspected that this crime is domestic in nature.

      The homicide is currently being investigated by the Violent Crimes Branch.

      If you have any information in reference to this crime please call 202-727-9099 or the Violent Crimes Branch at

      202-645-9600. Thank you.

    • k3
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29, 2009
        This is how I thought two people who walked by me yesterday would end up. I was shoveling the sidewalk about twelve hours before this (R near Lincoln Rd). The woman was trailing the man by ten or  fifteen feet, and spitting mad. She was repeating the same phrase over and over (something about "MY money"), like a mentally disturbed person, with no variation in tone or rhythm. I looked up to see if she was anyone I recognized (she wasn't), then quickly lowered my gaze after she gave me the evil eye. The man in front scuffled along at a good pace, without saying a word or even looking back. At the time, I thought "Whenever (and wherever) they stop, one of them will surely go off." Then, a second later I remembered troubled relationships can go on for years before they culminate in some final drama.

      • khenderson029@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 29, 2009
          Did you call the police after hearing this exchange?

        • Jaime Fearer
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2009
            This is terribly, terribly sad, and a reminder to us that we have long strides to make in protecting folks from domestic violence: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Woman_Killed_by_Acquaintance_From_Her_Past_Washington_DC.html

            --Jaime Fearer
          • k3
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 30, 2009
              People get involved in dramatic arguments on the street around here all the time, and you sometimes see them walking arm-in-arm the next day. It isn't a crime to be angry, or have a hateful expression on your face. She wasn't threatening anyone, and there was no exchange. The guy didn't say a word. All I had was a feeling. For all I know, he wasn't even the person she was mad at. So I don't see why it would be appropriate to involve the cops. (That is, assuming I even had an idea knew where they might be headed.) What could I have said, "There's an enraged woman walking down the sidewalk. Please send help"?

              Human beings can be volatile creatures, and most all of us - at some point in our lives - say or do something that seems a bit loony. It's not the job of law enforcement to ensure all is peace and harmony. They can't keep up with the crimes that have actually been committed (or are in progress), let alone prevent every potential crime ... and if they could, would we really want them to? Yikes! Think how many crimes are committed even in prisons, where people are locked into cages and every detail of their lives is constricted.

              In retrospect, it's easy to say, "I had a feeling this would lead to something", but I still don't see how the cops could've helped (at least at that point). In fact, they may have made the situation worse ... that is, IF this woman was even the victim. For all I know, she's sitting at home making the guy a sandwich right now. I only related the story in case it rang a bell with anyone else ... say, if further down the block they got into a ruckus, and it did turn out that it eventually led to something (e.g., assault or murder) - not that I even got a good look at the guy.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 31, 2009
                This sounds like a rationalization for not getting involved. When you adopt such a position you send a clear message that you will tolerate disorderly behavior in your community. How many citizens in Georgetown would listen to such an exchange and say and do nothing? It is likely the police would have received several calls from concerned neighbors before the angry participants reached the end of the block. Let the police decide how to handle such matters; it is our job to call them.

                Each of us has a responsibility to keep our respective communities safe and that responsibility certainly includes calling the police when we witness disorderly and or criminal behavior. Do not wait until it is someone that you know that needs assistance. We have a right to address the type of behavior you described by calling the police and an obligation to report all disturbances and crimes. Safe neighborhoods do not just happen, they are made.

                Kathy Henderson

                Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499.
              • garyrahman@netzero.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
                  Kathy you are right on people let's make the call.

                  Gary

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
                    AGAIN, there was no exchange. There was no disturbance. There was no disorderly conduct. There was no criminal behavior. No one needed assistance. There were no angry participants. There was one woman, muttering as she walked down the street [sort of] with a silent man. And - unless, further down the block, she ended up acting out her ill-feelings - I bet no one else called the police (and would have, even in Georgetown).

                    In America, we respect the liberty of others. Though I am pretty good at reading the subtleties of body language, I'm not perfect. And even obvious body language doesn't disturb the peace. We can't leave side by side in cities without affording each other some degree of privacy. That's why busybodies thrive in small towns.

                    Some people may think they want to live in an authoritarian society (try it sometime) where everyone must adhere to a ridiculously strict code of behavior, where people have to pretend to be happy in order to walk down the sidewalk without fear of throwing observers into such a panic they feel compelled to involve the police. I - and thankfully most of the rest of us - do not. What good is safety if our behavior is so restricted it can't even be called "living"?

                    Like I said, I mentioned it on the unlikely chance it was the same woman AND it has been determined that, in order to locate and prosecute her murderer, knowing every detail of that day's stream of events might be useful. If there's a next time, I will communicate this (probably irrelevant) information privately - though a lone bit of unconnected info might be less useful to the police.

                    Otherwise, I could inadvertently end up giving others an opportunity to exaggerate and distort the facts in order to champion intolerance and repression ... and that would be irresponsible and dangerous.

                    PS If any cop listening wants to be called out every time someone observes a fellow citizen who is merely angry, please speak up. If that's the case, you'd better come and put the handcuffs on me right now!

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
                      I have to say that I agree with this 100%.  Some of us have had much more heated exchanges online than what "k3" described.  You want me to call the police because I saw someone muttering under their breath on the sidewalk?!?

                      I think using you own best judgement is the key, and I don't see anything in "k3's" original comment that would have caused me to call the police.  If it would have caused some of your to do so, I'd better watch myself...  my facial expression as I walk down the street to the metro in the morning facing a day at work might get SWAT called to take me into custody!  ;)

                      FWIW, I don't get all the references to Georgetown.  I spend a fair bit of time in the area every week, and honestly, I think people there are less concerned about their neighborhood than here.  There is certainly less of a feeling of community from what I've seen than what I enjoy in my neighborhood.

                      Taylor (PSA502)

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
                        Again, this sounds like a rationalization for not getting involved and back-peddling.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
                          Hey k3's original message read to me as if their was doubt on his part if he made the right judgment call by not calling the police. So it went from a woman asking for help to a mutter under some ones breath? Folks this sight is to inform and request service for issues in our Neborhood not story time. K3 if you were not concern about what you saw don't post it on this sight. That way your judgment is not questioned but you did and from your original message call the police if you see two people argue in a public place and please call if someone even mutters help.

                          Gary Rahman
                          Quantum Leap Investments
                          111 South Calvert Street suite 2700
                          410 385-5337 office 410 235-7251 fax