RE: [MPD-4D] Re: [MPD-5D] Daily Crime Reports/Crime Mapping Application

  • Keith Jarrell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2009

      I think it is clear that MPD has a lot of kinks to work on this “new system” before the community is willing to accept it as our only method of learning what is taking place in and around our homes, and our lives.  Although the efforts may be to place better efficiency on the personnel and better use of the officers time,  it is clear that the proposed Crime Map is lacking substance and factual real time reporting as has been reported.  This is of a great concern.  If anyone should access to current trends,  and recent violent crimes it should be the citizens.

      Keith Jarrell

      From: Lars Bromley <lbromley@...>
      To: Brookland@yahoogroups.com, mpd-4d@yahoogroups.com, mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 10:27 AM

      Chief Lanier,
      I second Ms. Ransoms' comments. I used the daily crime reports to decide my best commuting routes to avoid violence. I commute by bus down Georgia, or via Red Line from Takoma, both of which require moderate walks to get to. Given the recurring robberies, assaults, and harassment on both routes, it was useful to decide which way to go based on the daily crime reports via email. The mapping system seems at least a few days behind, and requires more time to query and review, compared to the daily emailed crime reports. I know MPD and councilmembers generally drive everywhere (and the former get guns), but us poor common folks are out there with the thugs on a daily basis, who consider us prey. So, please consider our need for such tactical information.

      You may say that the DC alert system fills this role, but to my knowledge this alert system has not delivered many, if any, reports on activities in 4D.

      Lars Bromley

      >>> Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@yahoo. com> 1/6/2009 8:02 PM >>>
      Thanks Chief, but I still have concerns about this mapping and its effectiveness in community policing for the resident, since it lacks basic details needed to alert other neighbors to criminal activities in their area. True, the statistics help your direct efforts, but I am sure your officers benefited from citizens responses to the daily reports which have aided in solving crimes.

      I've researched my area, the west side of PSA 405 (the corrider of Hawaii Ave up Ft. Totten Rd and Taylor St NE, up to N. Capitol, north to Riggs Rd. and in between) and immediately noticed a glaring problem, the boundaries of the PSAs are not defined or clearly marked. It looks like my area of PSA 405 is located between PSA 501 or 301 (not clear) and 404.

      Again, I propose an alternative. Understanding that this is being done due to the proposed budget cuts, and your desire to see the assigned officers returned to the streets, why not propose hiring civilian staff or contracted services, primarily by a DC based company or non-profit organization to coordinate, collate and send out the daily reports? I am sure this is something that CM Mendelson would consider since this is such an effective tool in community policing. I am sure residents would support this method by testifying or sending in testimony to support this effort and the continuance of this valuable tool.

      Gigi Ransom
      Commissioner, ANC 5C12