Re: Daily Crime Reports/Crime Mapping Application

  • bkchristin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
      Let me start by saying that Chief Lanier has done a fantastic job in
      the way of opening up the lines of communication between police and
      citizens.

      Unfortunately, crimemap.dc.gov is pitiful when compared to the crime
      mapping applications that other major cities have enjoyed for years.
      If you would like to see what a REAL online crime map should look like
      check out http://dc.everyblock.com/crime/

      Chief, please devote more resources to fully integrating MPD's crime
      data (it is partially integrated at the moment, but could be better)
      with everyblock.com, instead of wasting time trying to develop sub-par
      proprietary maps on your own. Let someone else do the heavy lifting.

      Other than that, you're doing an awesome job.

      -BC on Lawrence
    • Keith Jarrell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009

        I full agree that Chief Lanier has and continues to do a terrific job.  Including the many facets of reorganizing, restructuring and updating the department to include better technology and new equipment.

        All needed to be done.  She has applied her knowledge of the District of Columbia and her educational background in Policing together to solve many inter-department problems that Ramsey didn’t understand.  Her ability to move top people into Senior Command positions has been a great asset and will prove one of her best moves.  She is engaged,  involved and set high standards for the department.  I fully think we have the best police department that this city has ever seen.

        I don’t she gets a fair amount of proper support and team work from some areas of the department which are primarily comprised of civilian employees put into place to handle such things as outreach,  and public relations.  But some how Chief Lanier always finds her own way of staying on top of things.  I think the community’s perception of how the Crime map fails to full fill our needs will be addressed and in the end the community will realize that Chief Lanier is working hard to maximize the talents of all our police officers and getting them to all work to their fullest potential and to serve the community in the best way possible.

        I think we need to be patient and allow her and the other leaders to work through this change and tweak it to be everything it can and will be.

        Keith Jarrell

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2009
          I wholeheartedly agree with these sentiments.  It has been a pleasure watching & experiencing the MPD transition into an effective & efficient 21st century model, that includes the residents that they serve.  Gigi

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2009
            I also agree, IMHO its a huge waste of scarce police time to expect sworn police officers to answer our every email query about "what happened here" and "what happpen there".  This is a city, crime happens all the time, all over the place, if you have a need to know, use the tools provided, which IMHO, are getting better and better.

            Or buy a scanner..

            I wholeheartedly agree with these sentiments.  It has been a pleasure watching & experiencing the MPD transition into an effective & efficient 21st century model, that includes the residents that they serve.  Gigi

            I full agree that Chief Lanier has and continues to do a terrific job.  Including the many facets of reorganizing, restructuring and updating the department to include better technology and new equipment.
            All needed to be done.  She has applied her knowledge of the District of Columbia and her educational background in Policing together to solve many inter-department problems that Ramsey didnʼt understand.  Her ability to move top people into Senior Command positions has been a great asset and will prove one of her best moves.  She is engaged,  involved and set high standards for the department.  I fully think we have the best police department that this city has ever seen.
            I donʼt she gets a fair amount of proper support and team work from some areas of the department which a re primarily comprised of civilian employees put into place to handle such things as outreach,  and public relations.  But some how Chief Lanier always finds her own way of staying on top of things.  I think the communityʼs perception of how the Crime map fails to full fill our needs will be addressed and in the end the community will realize that Chief Lanier is working hard to maximize the talents of all our police officers and getting them to all work to their fullest potential and to serve the community in the best way possible.