Re: [MPD-5D] Daily Crime Reports/Crime Mapping Application

  • Gigi Ransom
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2009
      Thanks Chief, but I still have concerns about this mapping and its effectiveness in community policing for the resident, since it lacks basic details needed to alert other neighbors to criminal activities in their area. True, the statistics help your direct efforts, but I am sure your officers benefited from citizens responses to the daily reports which have aided in solving crimes.

      I've researched my area, the west side of PSA 405 (the corrider of Hawaii Ave up Ft. Totten Rd and Taylor St NE, up to N. Capitol, north to Riggs Rd. and in between) and immediately noticed a glaring problem, the boundaries of the PSAs are not defined or clearly marked.  It looks like my area of PSA 405 is located between PSA 501 or 301 (not clear) and 404.

      Again, I propose an alternative.  Understanding that this is being done due to the proposed budget cuts, and your desire to see the assigned officers returned to the streets, why not propose hiring civilian staff or contracted services, primarily by a DC based company or non-profit organization to coordinate, collate and send out the daily reports?  I am sure this is something that CM Mendelson would consider since this is such an effective tool in community policing.  I am sure residents would support this method by testifying or sending in testimony to support this effort and the continuance of this valuable tool.

      Gigi Ransom
      Commissioner, ANC 5C12

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
        Let me start by saying that Chief Lanier has done a fantastic job in
        the way of opening up the lines of communication between police and
        citizens.

        Unfortunately, crimemap.dc.gov is pitiful when compared to the crime
        mapping applications that other major cities have enjoyed for years.
        If you would like to see what a REAL online crime map should look like
        check out http://dc.everyblock.com/crime/

        Chief, please devote more resources to fully integrating MPD's crime
        data (it is partially integrated at the moment, but could be better)
        with everyblock.com, instead of wasting time trying to develop sub-par
        proprietary maps on your own. Let someone else do the heavy lifting.

        Other than that, you're doing an awesome job.

        -BC on Lawrence
      • Keith Jarrell
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009

          I full agree that Chief Lanier has and continues to do a terrific job.  Including the many facets of reorganizing, restructuring and updating the department to include better technology and new equipment.

          All needed to be done.  She has applied her knowledge of the District of Columbia and her educational background in Policing together to solve many inter-department problems that Ramsey didn’t understand.  Her ability to move top people into Senior Command positions has been a great asset and will prove one of her best moves.  She is engaged,  involved and set high standards for the department.  I fully think we have the best police department that this city has ever seen.

          I don’t she gets a fair amount of proper support and team work from some areas of the department which are primarily comprised of civilian employees put into place to handle such things as outreach,  and public relations.  But some how Chief Lanier always finds her own way of staying on top of things.  I think the community’s perception of how the Crime map fails to full fill our needs will be addressed and in the end the community will realize that Chief Lanier is working hard to maximize the talents of all our police officers and getting them to all work to their fullest potential and to serve the community in the best way possible.

          I think we need to be patient and allow her and the other leaders to work through this change and tweak it to be everything it can and will be.

          Keith Jarrell

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2009
            I wholeheartedly agree with these sentiments.  It has been a pleasure watching & experiencing the MPD transition into an effective & efficient 21st century model, that includes the residents that they serve.  Gigi

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2009
              I also agree, IMHO its a huge waste of scarce police time to expect sworn police officers to answer our every email query about "what happened here" and "what happpen there".  This is a city, crime happens all the time, all over the place, if you have a need to know, use the tools provided, which IMHO, are getting better and better.

              Or buy a scanner..

              I wholeheartedly agree with these sentiments.  It has been a pleasure watching & experiencing the MPD transition into an effective & efficient 21st century model, that includes the residents that they serve.  Gigi

              I full agree that Chief Lanier has and continues to do a terrific job.  Including the many facets of reorganizing, restructuring and updating the department to include better technology and new equipment.
              All needed to be done.  She has applied her knowledge of the District of Columbia and her educational background in Policing together to solve many inter-department problems that Ramsey didnʼt understand.  Her ability to move top people into Senior Command positions has been a great asset and will prove one of her best moves.  She is engaged,  involved and set high standards for the department.  I fully think we have the best police department that this city has ever seen.
              I donʼt she gets a fair amount of proper support and team work from some areas of the department which a re primarily comprised of civilian employees put into place to handle such things as outreach,  and public relations.  But some how Chief Lanier always finds her own way of staying on top of things.  I think the communityʼs perception of how the Crime map fails to full fill our needs will be addressed and in the end the community will realize that Chief Lanier is working hard to maximize the talents of all our police officers and getting them to all work to their fullest potential and to serve the community in the best way possible.