RE: [MPD-5D] Joseph Cole Center

  • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
      RE: [MPD-5D] Joseph Cole Center

      There will be an officer assigned there from 3pm till 9pm at least 3 to 5 days per week

      From: "Melina Afzal" <melina.afzal@... <mailto:melina.afzal%40gmail.com> >
      Subject: [MPD-5D] Joseph Cole Center

      Hi,

      I was wondering if there could be more of a police presence around Joe Cole
      Center in the evenings - between 6p-10p. There is a high volume of youth and
      young adults who hang out outside of the center and in the street and corner
      of Morse & Montello. Could I get an update of when the assigned officer is
      there?

      I raise this issue again because last night when I came home around 7pm,
      there was a young man unconscious at the corner of Morse and Montello,
      across the street from the center. There were 20ish people who stood there
      watching as a "friend" tried to pick him up and take him home. There was no
      proper intervention until I came over. Thankfully, after a few minutes the
      police & EMT arrived.

      It seems like around 6pm the Cole Center becomes a meeting space. I watch
      many of the youth show up about the same time every night and hang out. I
      don't have an issue with the hanging out. I have issue with what they do
      when they are hanging out. I frequently watch them engage in behaviors that
      are a safety issue for themselves and residents around there. They are in
      the street, dealing drugs, arguing & loud. I do call in questionable
      activity when I can.
      I am a person who side on being proactive than waiting for another tragic
      incident to happen. I am not sure what happened with the young man last
      night. I hate to think what may of happened to the him if there wasn't an
      intervention.

      Thank you,
      Melina

      > Visit Your Group
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MPD-5D;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNjdxMWVmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzODYxNDk0BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA1OTQxOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTIzMTI2NTE4MQ-- <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MPD-5D;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNjdxMWVmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzODYxNDk0BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA1OTQxOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTIzMTI2NTE4MQ--> >| Yahoo!
      > .

    • Melina Afzal
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
        Great! Thank you for having the police officer there.

        Robby, let me know what happens w/ DPR as well.  An employee of the rec center was there when I came over but he had no idea what to do. That is worries me too.

        Melina