RE: [MPD-5D] Joseph Cole Center

  • Aaron Watkins
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
      The center is still open to 9pm every day!!!
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
        RE: [MPD-5D] Joseph Cole Center

        There will be an officer assigned there from 3pm till 9pm at least 3 to 5 days per week

        The center is still open to 9pm every day!!!
        I was wondering if there could be more of a police presence around Joe Cole
        Center in the evenings - between 6p-10p. There is a high volume of youth and
        young adults who hang out outside of the center and in the street and corner
        of Morse & Montello. Could I get an update of when the assigned officer is
        there?

        I raise this issue again because last night when I came home around 7pm,
        there was a young man unconscious at the corner of Morse and Montello,
        across the street from the center. There were 20ish people who stood there
        watching as a "friend" tried to pick him up and take him home. There was no
        proper intervention until I came over. Thankfully, after a few minutes the
        police & EMT arrived.

        It seems like around 6pm the Cole Center becomes a meeting space. I watch
        many of the youth show up about the same time every night and hang out. I
        don't have an issue with the hanging out. I have issue with what they do
        when they are hanging out. I frequently watch them engage in behaviors that
        are a safety issue for themselves and residents around there. They are in
        the street, dealing drugs, arguing & loud. I do call in questionable
        activity when I can.
        I am a person who side on being proactive than waiting for another tragic
        incident to happen. I am not sure what happened with the young man last
        night. I hate to think what may of happened to the him if there wasn't an
        intervention.

        Thank you,
        Melina

        > Visit Your Group
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MPD-5D;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNjdxMWVmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzODYxNDk0BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA1OTQxOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTIzMTI2NTE4MQ-- <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MPD-5D;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNjdxMWVmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzODYxNDk0BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA1OTQxOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTIzMTI2NTE4MQ--> >| Yahoo!
        > .

      • Melina Afzal
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
          Great! Thank you for having the police officer there.

          Robby, let me know what happens w/ DPR as well.  An employee of the rec center was there when I came over but he had no idea what to do. That is worries me too.

          Melina