Joseph Cole Center

  • Melina Afzal
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
      Hi,

      I was wondering if there could be more of a police presence around Joe Cole Center in the evenings - between 6p-10p. There is a high volume of youth and young adults who hang out outside of the center and in the street and corner of Morse & Montello.  Could I get an update of when the assigned officer is there?

      I raise this issue again because last night when I came home around 7pm, there was a young man unconscious at the corner of Morse and Montello, across the street from the center. There were 20ish people who stood there watching as a "friend" tried to pick him up and take him home.  There was no proper intervention until I came over. Thankfully, after a few minutes the police & EMT arrived.

      It seems like around 6pm the Cole Center becomes a  meeting space. I watch many of the youth show up about the same time every night and hang out. I don't have an issue with the hanging out. I have issue with what they do when they are hanging out.  I frequently watch them engage in behaviors that are a safety issue for themselves and residents around there. They are in the street, dealing drugs, arguing & loud. I do call in questionable activity when I can.

      I am a person who side on being proactive than waiting for another tragic incident to happen. I am not sure what happened with the young man last night. I hate to think what may of happened to the him if there wasn't an intervention.

      Thank you,
       Melina

    • Aaron Watkins
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
        The center is still open to 9pm every day!!!
        I was wondering if there could be more of a police presence around Joe Cole
        Center in the evenings - between 6p-10p. There is a high volume of youth and
        young adults who hang out outside of the center and in the street and corner
        of Morse & Montello. Could I get an update of when the assigned officer is
        there?

        I raise this issue again because last night when I came home around 7pm,
        there was a young man unconscious at the corner of Morse and Montello,
        across the street from the center. There were 20ish people who stood there
        watching as a "friend" tried to pick him up and take him home. There was no
        proper intervention until I came over. Thankfully, after a few minutes the
        police & EMT arrived.

        It seems like around 6pm the Cole Center becomes a meeting space. I watch
        many of the youth show up about the same time every night and hang out. I
        don't have an issue with the hanging out. I have issue with what they do
        when they are hanging out. I frequently watch them engage in behaviors that
        are a safety issue for themselves and residents around there. They are in
        the street, dealing drugs, arguing & loud. I do call in questionable
        activity when I can.
        I am a person who side on being proactive than waiting for another tragic
        incident to happen. I am not sure what happened with the young man last
        night. I hate to think what may of happened to the him if there wasn't an
        intervention.

        Thank you,
        Melina

        > Visit Your Group
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MPD-5D;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNjdxMWVmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzODYxNDk0BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA1OTQxOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTIzMTI2NTE4MQ-->| Yahoo!
        > .

      • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
          RE: [MPD-5D] Joseph Cole Center

          There will be an officer assigned there from 3pm till 9pm at least 3 to 5 days per week

          The center is still open to 9pm every day!!!
          I was wondering if there could be more of a police presence around Joe Cole
          Center in the evenings - between 6p-10p. There is a high volume of youth and
          young adults who hang out outside of the center and in the street and corner
          of Morse & Montello. Could I get an update of when the assigned officer is
          there?

          I raise this issue again because last night when I came home around 7pm,
          there was a young man unconscious at the corner of Morse and Montello,
          across the street from the center. There were 20ish people who stood there
          watching as a "friend" tried to pick him up and take him home. There was no
          proper intervention until I came over. Thankfully, after a few minutes the
          police & EMT arrived.

          It seems like around 6pm the Cole Center becomes a meeting space. I watch
          many of the youth show up about the same time every night and hang out. I
          don't have an issue with the hanging out. I have issue with what they do
          when they are hanging out. I frequently watch them engage in behaviors that
          are a safety issue for themselves and residents around there. They are in
          the street, dealing drugs, arguing & loud. I do call in questionable
          activity when I can.
          I am a person who side on being proactive than waiting for another tragic
          incident to happen. I am not sure what happened with the young man last
          night. I hate to think what may of happened to the him if there wasn't an
          intervention.

          Thank you,
          Melina

          > Visit Your Group
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MPD-5D;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNjdxMWVmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzODYxNDk0BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA1OTQxOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTIzMTI2NTE4MQ-- <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MPD-5D;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNjdxMWVmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzODYxNDk0BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA1OTQxOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTIzMTI2NTE4MQ--> >| Yahoo!
          > .

        • Melina Afzal
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
            Great! Thank you for having the police officer there.

            Robby, let me know what happens w/ DPR as well.  An employee of the rec center was there when I came over but he had no idea what to do. That is worries me too.

            Melina