crimemap application for statistical information for public

  • Groomes, Diane (MPD)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2009

      DEAR COMMUNITY MEMBERS:

      We have received numerous inquiries and requests for crime information from the community. We address the requests through many ways to include the monthly PSA meeting, the monthly CAC meetings and through our listservs.

      We want to ensure that all communities receive the information about crimes that occur in their neighborhoods in ways that protect the victim, protect the integrity of the investigation  and provide the valuable information that citizens want and need.

      We ask that all utilize the crimemap@... application to retain information on crimes that occur in their community. This application is a very important tool that provides summary information on all Part one offenses except that of sexual assaults and homicides and also provides a mapping function for a citizen to use.

      In the past citizens did receive information via the listserv that was posted by a sworn member of the Department but we have found that the information was not uniform in nature and that some of the information revealed facts that were not for public information and jeopardized our investigatory process.  We also want to relieve a sworn member from performing such administrative tasks so that they can work out in the field. The crimemap@...  application in fact provides more information than that of the general posting of crimes for one can map their crime daily or monthly and also get an analysis of crime for specific time periods or just request a daily report.

      We have also queried our other benchmark police departments and found that many do not post any crime information to the public and those that did post did not reveal summaries of the offense.

      We want to also advise the citizens that the information that is generated into crimemap@... is created by a process of data entry that involves a multi-level review  thus at times may delay information from being displayed or not include all facts….therefore we are in the process of improving this.

      Our number one goal of course is to provide the most timely and accurate crime data to the public and we have provided the guide to this application on our webpage. We will also be holding public seminars in January to assist the community on utilizing crimemap@... .

      The District Commanders will also ensure that critical incidents that occur such as homicides, shootings and critical incidents that may impact a neighborhood will be posted by their Watch Commanders prior to the tour ending on the listserv.

      We want to wish all a Happy and SAFE New Year!

      Diane C. Groomes

      Assistant Chief of Police, Patrol Services and School Security Bureau

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential, intended only
      for use by the named recipient(s) above. The content included in this email
      is the property of the Metropolitan Police Department and is law enforcement
      sensitive.  This email should not be forwarded or disseminated to unauthorized
      users. It should only be used by the intended recipient.  If you have received this
      e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail
      at the address shown above.  This e-mail and any attachments may contain
      confidential information. Please delete it from your files if you are not the
      intended recipient.

      DIANE C GROOMES

      Assistant Chief of Police

      801 Shepherd St NW, 20011