Re: Police activity around Wheatley school last night?

  • Virginia Dorell
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 18, 2008
      Thank you for posting this information.

      Since there was no police report taken, and it wouldn't have shown up in any crime summaries, it's good to know we can get the answers from the officers who take part in this forum.

      Thank you again for your help, and I hope everyone has a quiet and peaceful holiday season!

      Sincerely,
      Ginny

    • dccop58
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 18, 2008
        As a police officer, I appreciate Art's concern that our valuable
        time is wasted with requests such as these. However, I feel his
        concern is not a valid one. Two reasons:

        1) The whole point of a forum like this is to stimulate back and
        forth communication between the police and the citizens we serve. We
        can all agree that more communication between us will foster a more
        open relationship, which in turn will result in more citizens coming
        forward with information to help prevent and solve serious crime. I
        live on a quiet street and would naturally be curious if I were to
        see police activity on it. I don't think people who live on the more
        active streets should be any less curious about police activity just
        because it happens more frequently. Nor do I think they should be
        discouraged in satisfying this curiosity because the police are too
        busy. This brings me to the next point.

        2) The time it takes to research a simple request is minimal, and it
        does not involve at all officers on the street. The official in
        question contacts the administrative office and asks someone to pull
        the run sheets from the day/time in question and find out the nature
        and resolution of the run. Or the official makes a quick phone call
        to the OUC (dispatcher's office) and waits a few minutes while a
        clerk checks to see what type of assignment happened at that location
        and what the resolution was. No muss, no fuss.

        Keep those requests coming in. It shows us that you, our eyes and
        ears on the street, are paying attention and makes us feel all the
        more appreciated.

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Art Corvelay" <art.corvelay@...>
        wrote:

        > Commander... when you send along that info, can you please also
        > include how many mpd personnel were involved in this request...and
        how
        > long the research takes?
        >
        > Thanks
        >

        > On 12/17/08, Greene, Lamar (MPD) <lamar.greene@...> wrote:
        > > I will have the staff research what occurred and respond
        > >
        > > Sent from my GoodLink synchronized handheld (www.good.com)

        Standard Time
        > > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
        > > Subject: [MPD-5D] Re: Police activity around Wheatley school
        last night?

        > > Not only is this EXACTLY the forum for this type of question, I
        also would
        > > appreciate an answer from the 5th District on the original post.
        > >
        > > I don't think questioning the Police Department's actions is
        bothering them
        > > "just for the sake of being curious." As taxpayers and as
        citizens, we have
        > > a right to know what actions are happening on our block and
        around the
        > > corner, particularly as it reflects on the state of our security.
        > >
        > > While I appreciate the links to the other methods of learning
        crime
        > > statistics, snarky dismissal of a simple question by a neighbor
        is not how I
        > > would expect any of us to behave in a forum that should be
        treated the same
        > > as if we were talking to each other on our front porches.
        > >
        > > Ginny

      • tmanago538
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 18, 2008
          Just what we need in our neighborhood, people like Art to make us
          feel like we're being nuisances instead of concerned homeowners. I
          want to send a special thanks to the Officer who explained that
          requests such as these are "no muss, no fuss".

          I hope for your sake Art that if you are ever a victim of a crime and
          there are witnesses, those people will want to "waste MPD's time"
          reporting what they heard and asking questions.

          Terry