Notification about crimes in the 5D Community _ DC Police Alert
Good Morning 5D Community,
On Wednesday October 15th Mayor Adrian Fenty, the Metropolitan Police Department, the Office of Unified Command and the Homeland Security Emergency Management Agency announced the launch of DC Police Alert. This service will utilize the existing Alert DC system (https://textalert.ema.dc.gov) to quickly notify businesses and residents about crimes in their neighborhood. MPD has certain criteria for sending a Police Alert. Alerts will only be sent:
1. To specific Police Districts or other areas designated Police Service Areas (PSAs)
2. Regarding certain types of crimes. The program will start with Robberies only and then expand to include other types of crime. You will be advised of any future changes to the program.
3. The alerts will only be sent when the MPD has specific, actionable information and believes public assistance could help solve the crime. Actionable information could include a lookout for a specific suspect with descriptors such as height, weight, gender, clothing or a specific vehicle description such as make, model, color or tag number.
When a user registers for DC Police Alert they can enter addresses such as home and work. Then, when a qualifying incident occurs in the area, MPD will send a DC Police Alert message informing users about what has happened and giving instructions about what to do. Please do not call 911 for updates regarding the crime, only call if you have relevant information regarding the information sought by MPD. Users can receive alerts on e-mail, cell phone, pager or BlackBerry and wireless PDA.
To participate in DC Police Alert please follow these instructions:
1. Click the following link and register for Alert DC https://textalert.ema.dc.gov/register.php
2. The DC Police Alert prompt is at the bottom of the page select `Yes' from the drop down menu on the right
3. Click `Continue' on the bottom right
4. On the second registration page enter your work address
5. You can enter additional locations using the mapping feature at the bottom of the page
a) Select `Add Location' from the Map Control Mode menu
b) Use `+' or your mouse wheel to zoom
- Select `Finish Registration' at the bottom right of the page