? any info on yesterday's shooting at 1st & U St NW ?

  • scott@scott-roberts.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2008
      Good morning.  This Email is being posted to the MPD-5D list at 6:00 am, Tuesday, December 9, 2008.

      A number of residents in Bloomingdale in PSA 501 reported yesterday afternoon an apparent fatal shooting at or near the intersection of 1st & U Street NW in Bloomingdale.

      I have copied in below the text of some of the Emails that I received.

      I just looked through the online version of the Washington Post this morning, hunting for an article or some mention of the shooting.  I was expecting to see something from Washington Post crime reporter Theola Labbe-DeBose. But no luck.

      Might the police be able to provide some additional information?

      a)  See the text of an Email from a 1st Street NW resident received yesterday, Monday, December 8, 2008, at 3:11 pm:

      “I just wanted to let you know that there has been an apparent shooting at the NW corner of 1st and U St.  It occurred about 20 minutes ago.  I was working from home as normal when I heard 5 load pops.  Thinking (hoping) it might have been noise from the side walk construction at the other side of 1st, I went to the front of our unit to peer out to see if I could gauge the construction workers reaction(s).  Sure enough, they had all stopped working and looking toward the East side of 1st Street at something when I saw a man get out of a car on his cell phone walking towards another man lying motionless on the sidewalk.  He was presumably calling the police when a cruiser pulled up.  Within a few minutes several units were on the scene.  The victim was motionless the whole time, so I fear it is not good.  At present there are still several police units on the scene and they have most of the intersection blocked off.  The fire/rescue have left with the victim and police are interviewing potential from the neighborhood witnesses.  I'd be very surprised if no one saw what happened.  It's been so busy around there today.”

      b)  See this message from ANC 5C04 Commissioner John Salatti from around 4:30 pm:

      "Yes, it has been a very busy day today with Capitol Paving crews on U and V Streets.  I walked the entire neighborhood today from about 11:30 until just before 2:00.  So this shooting did occur in front of a bevy of witnesses.

      The shooting occurred at the NE corner of 1st and U.  After conversations with police, the victim was coming down the unit block of U Street and was chased by another man who caught him at the corner, fired knocking him down, and then fired three more times while the victim was on the ground.  The theory is that the shooting was drug related and the victim lives or used to live on Flagler Place .

      Many officers were present with one going door-to-door asking questions of neighbors.  This officer had an automatic rifle slung across his chest as he knocked on doors.  But we also had Lt. Ronald White, Cmdr. Lamar Greene, and Assistant Chief Diane Groomes on the scene along with a number of detectives, the mobile crime lab, and a police dog.  Many are still in the neighborhood investigating while the light is still holding out and 1st and U remains a closed crime scene.

      We have been very quiet the last few months and crime has been down significantly, but we must remain vigilant and root out drug dealing and using."

      c)   From another 1st Street NW resident, around 8:00 pm:

      "I imagine you've heard about the shooting at First and U today. The police told me the man died at the scene. I was home, heard 5-6 shots, looked outside, but didn't see anything."

      Thank you for whatever information can be supplied to the community.