Fwd: [Eckington] Fwd: "Inaugural Celebration Extension of Hours Emergency Act"

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2008

    • mpd5d_coordinator
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2008
        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, khenderson029@... wrote:

        (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-
        dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

        (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-
        dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

        Good Afternoon All:

        I am very concerned about the "Inaugural Celebration Extension of
        Hours
        Emergency Act" passed by the Council earlier this week. The
        legislation allows
        any bar, tavern, nightclub or restaurant that serves alcohol on
        their premises
        to serve alcohol until 5:00 a.m. from January 17-21, 2009.
        Restaurants are
        allowed to operate 24 hours a day during January 17-21, underscoring
        the second
        provision of this legislation. The city is anticipating an
        unprecedented
        crowd during the inauguration. The prospect that thousands of persons
        will have
        nearly unfettered access to alcohol represents a significant public
        safety
        breach and a certain nightmare for many District residents.

        I fully appreciate the Mayor and Council wanting to maximize the
        revenue
        from the inaugural events for the benefit of the District. However, I
        believe
        this legislation was hastily conceived and enacted. I believe this
        matter will
        strain police resources and divert officers from my Patrol Service
        Area (PSA)
        504 and other PSA's to police the bars, clubs and restaurants. I
        believe
        greater care should have been given to protect public safety. No
        amount of
        increased revenue justifies the breach to our public safety this
        legislation is
        sure to generate. We pay taxes and deserve maximum consideration.

        Finally, the dialogue about the impact of this legislation is
        beginning in
        my community and undoubtedly throughout many communities in our city.
        So far,
        the neighbors I have spoken to do not support the legislation. I
        believe the
        Council should have held a hearing to allow the public to comment on
        this
        legislation before it was speedily passed. If the murmurs of
        discontent build to
        a crescendo of downright opposition, then it is our duty to petition
        the
        Council to rescind or modify this ill-conceived legislation. Thank
        you
        Councilmembers Bowser, Graham, Mendelson and Schwartz for voting
        against this
        legislation.

        Sincerely,

        Kathy Henderson
        (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-
        dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

        --- End forwarded message ---