Street Light Out Cover Replacement Request

  • Michael Henderson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 28 7:17 AM
      The street light in the alley behind 203 Ascot Place NE has had its cover damaged. Now the light is not functioning properly. Can we please get it repaired? As we all know, proper lighting is a significant deterrent to crime.
      Many thanks!

      Michael J. Henderson
      200 Adams Street NE
      Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:57 AM
      Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Re: CSOSA officers on 300 block of Bryant St NE

      Good morning all!

      Please call my office in regards to the street lights.

      Francine P. Edmonds
      Ward 5 Neighborhood Services
      Executive Office of the Mayor
      Office of the City Administrator
      64 New York Avenue NE, 4th Floor
      Washington, DC 20002
      (202) 671-0726
      (202) 671-0728 (Fax)
      (202) 359-0703 (Business cell)
      If you are not part of the Solution, you are part of the Problem.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 28 9:52 AM

        Good Evening all!

        As previously requested by Chief Jordan and the other MP officials they request that non-police issues not be addressed on this site. The Ward 5 Neighborhood Office phone number is listed below and we asked that you contact us via phone or e-mail (Francine.edmonds@...) after you have reported the complaint to the Mayor's Call Center on (202) 727-1000.

        I am inquiring how this office can set-up a group for issues such as above so the police can address police issues in a timely manner without having to read through other agency concerns/problems.

        Francine P. Edmonds

        Ward 5 Neighborhood Services

        Executive Office of the Mayor

        Office of the City Administrator

        64 New York Avenue NE, 4th Floor

        Washington, DC 20002

        (202) 671-0726

        (202) 671-0728 (Fax)

        (202) 359-0703 (Business cell)

        If you are not part of the Solution, you are part of the Problem.

        Also I have been calling the city and sending in by web requests to
        fix the TWO street lights that are out on the same block of Bryant
        Street as where the CSOSA officers were this morning.  Bad behavior is
        getting worse in the lack of light on the street at night.  I have my
        request numbers going back two months and still the lights are out.
        With the issue this morning I'm even more concerned that the street
        lights get back on.  Can you help or tell me who to call that might
        actually get someone out here asap!  With TWO lights out it's freaking
        dark.

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, C Sheppard <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
        > At least 3 police cars and about 10 officers several
        > in bulletproof vests went into a house. Jackets said
        > CSOSA. What's going on?  It's definitely a problem
        > house...

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • garett_jonesii
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 28 10:01 AM
          MS. FRANCINE. I KNOW YOU ARE TRYIING TO BE HELPFUL, BUT PLEASE DO
          NOT TRY TO MAKE THIS PROBLEM SEEM NON POLICE RELATED, BECAUSE IT IS.
          ANYTIME YOU HAVE AN ISSUE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD THAT CONTRIBUTES TO
          CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR IT IS A POLICE ISSUE. IF WE WERE ADVERTISING A NEW
          RESTAURANT I COULD SEE YOUR POINT. BUT THIS IS AN ISSUE THAT YOUR
          OFFICE AND THE POLICE BOTH NEED TO KNOW AND THERE IS NO BETTER PLACE
          TO VOICE THIS THAN ON THIS ON LINE POLICE YAHOO GROUP. I SUGGEST
          THAT YOU TAKE A LOOK AT SOME OF THE OTHER ONES ON LINE GROUPS,
          BECAUSE THE POLICE HAVE A SITE LIKE THIS IN ALL THE OTHER DISTRICTS
          AND THESE ARE EXACTLY THE KINDS OF THINGS THAT THEY COMMUNICATE TO
          EACH OTHER. I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO JOIN ANY MORE GROUPS TO RELAY THIS
          KIND OF INFORMATION. IT'S LIKE SAYING LET'S START HAVING PSA
          MEETINGS, COMMUNITY MEETINGS AND THEN CITY STAFF MEETINGS. ITS TOO
          MUCH.

          G JONES II

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Edmonds, Francine (EOM)"
          <francine.edmonds@d...> wrote:
          > Good Evening all!
          >
          > As previously requested by Chief Jordan and the other MP officials
          they
          > request that non-police issues not be addressed on this site. The
          Ward 5
          > Neighborhood Office phone number is listed below and we asked that
          you
          > contact us via phone or e-mail (Francine.edmonds@d...
          > <mailto:Francine.edmonds@d...> ) after you have reported the
          complaint to
          > the Mayor's Call Center on (202) 727-1000.
          >
          > I am inquiring how this office can set-up a group for issues such
          as above
          > so the police can address police issues in a timely manner without
          having to
          > read through other agency concerns/problems.
          >

          > Francine P. Edmonds
          > Ward 5 Neighborhood Services
          > Executive Office of the Mayor
          > Office of the City Administrator
          > 64 New York Avenue NE, 4th Floor
          > Washington, DC 20002
          > (202) 671-0726
          > (202) 671-0728 (Fax)
          > (202) 359-0703 (Business cell)
          > If you are not part of the Solution, you are part of the Problem.
          Behalf Of
          > Michael Henderson
          > Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 10:17 AM
          > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [MPD-5D] Street Light Out Cover Replacement Request
          >
          > The street light in the alley behind 203 Ascot Place NE has had its
          cover
          > damaged. Now the light is not functioning properly. Can we please
          get it
          > repaired? As we all know, proper lighting is a significant
          deterrent to
          > crime.
          > Many thanks!
          >
          > Michael J. Henderson
          > 200 Adams Street NE
          > Washington, DC 20002
          NE

          > Good morning all!
          >
          > Please call my office in regards to the street lights.
          >
          > Francine P. Edmonds
          > Ward 5 Neighborhood Services
          > Executive Office of the Mayor
          > Office of the City Administrator
          > 64 New York Avenue NE, 4th Floor
          > Washington, DC 20002
          > (202) 671-0726
          > (202) 671-0728 (Fax)
          > (202) 359-0703 (Business cell)
          > If you are not part of the Solution, you are part of the Problem.

          Sheppard
          > <roomforrent001@y <mailto:roomforrent001@y> ...> wrote:
          > > At least 3 police cars and about 10 officers several
          > > in bulletproof vests went into a house. Jackets said
          > > CSOSA. What's going on? It's definitely a problem
          > > house...

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > _____
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          5D> " on
          > the web.

          Service
          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          >
          > _____
        • Craig, Donald (MPD)
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 28 10:01 AM
            Absolutely. Just call the mayor's call center at 727-1000. Tell them about the light and they will assign it to the proper agency and give you a tracking number. This is the most effective way to take care of these things.

            ________________________________

            Also I have been calling the city and sending in by web requests to
            fix the TWO street lights that are out on the same block of Bryant
            Street as where the CSOSA officers were this morning. Bad behavior is
            getting worse in the lack of light on the street at night. I have my
            request numbers going back two months and still the lights are out.
            With the issue this morning I'm even more concerned that the street
            lights get back on. Can you help or tell me who to call that might
            actually get someone out here asap! With TWO lights out it's freaking
            dark.

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, C Sheppard <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
            > At least 3 police cars and about 10 officers several
            > in bulletproof vests went into a house. Jackets said
            > CSOSA. What's going on? It's definitely a problem
            > house...

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Patrick Nelson
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 28 11:25 AM
              I completely agree with Mr. Jones. The fact that those lights are out is causing unsafe conditions in his part of your district. If THAT is not an appropriate issue, I'd really like to know what you DO consider a police matter... Or better yet, let's have the Mayor himself give us the appropriate issues to be discussed here...

              Patrick Nelson
              1900 block of H Street NE

              +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

              "Don't let someone be your priority, while allowing yourself to be their option..."

              ME: http://www.speedbumps.org         MASSAGE: http://www.capitolhillmassage.org
              AIM: aRodeoJock                       Yahoo: aRodeoJock

              <francine.edmonds@d...> wrote:
              > Good Evening all!

              > As previously requested by Chief Jordan and the other MP officials
              they
              > request that non-police issues not be addressed on this site. The
              Ward 5
              > Neighborhood Office phone number is listed below and we asked that
              you
              > contact us via phone or e-mail (Francine.edmonds@d...
              > <mailto:Francine.edmonds@d...> ) after you have reported the
              complaint to
              > the Mayor's Call Center on (202) 727-1000.

              > I am inquiring how this office can set-up a group for issues such
              as above
              > so the police can address police issues in a timely manner without
              having to
              > read through other agency concerns/problems.

              > Francine P. Edmonds
              > Ward 5 Neighborhood Services
              > Executive Office of the Mayor
              > Office of the City Administrator
              > 64 New York Avenue NE, 4th Floor
              > Washington, DC 20002
              > (202) 671-0726
              > (202) 671-0728 (Fax)
              > (202) 359-0703 (Business cell)
              > If you are not part of the Solution, you are part of the Problem.

              Service
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              >   _____

            • Patrick Nelson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 28 12:03 PM
                And that's not to mention the fact that as the representative of the Mayor's office, I would have expected you to assist Mr. Jones in getting the problem solved rather than dismissing him and telling him to not bother you with this issues. A rather typical response from the Mayor's Office when it's not Wards 1, 2, 3, or 4.

                Ms. Edmonds, I also suggest you remove that quote in your signature at the bottom of your email as you are now becoming part of the problem.

                Patrick Nelson

                +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                <francine.edmonds@d...> wrote:
                > Good Evening all!

                > As previously requested by Chief Jordan and the other MP officials
                they
                > request that non-police issues not be addressed on this site. The
                Ward 5
                > Neighborhood Office phone number is listed below and we asked that
                you
                > contact us via phone or e-mail (Francine.edmonds@d...
                > <mailto:Francine.edmonds@d...> ) after you have reported the
                complaint to
                > the Mayor's Call Center on (202) 727-1000.

                > I am inquiring how this office can set-up a group for issues such
                as above
                > so the police can address police issues in a timely manner without
                having to
                > read through other agency concerns/problems.

                > Francine P. Edmonds
                > Ward 5 Neighborhood Services
                > Executive Office of the Mayor
                > Office of the City Administrator
                > 64 New York Avenue NE, 4th Floor
                > Washington, DC 20002
                > (202) 671-0726
                > (202) 671-0728 (Fax)
                > (202) 359-0703 (Business cell)
                > If you are not part of the Solution, you are part of the Problem.

              • Jordan, Brian (MPD)
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 28 12:15 PM
                  Mr. Nelson

                  Please do not take offense to Ms. Edmonds representation with regard to the police list serve use for law enforcement related issues.  Ms. Edmonds participation on the Fifth District list serve helps to make the government more responsive as a whole.  While not speaking for her, she was simply trying to relay my wishes in that the Fifth District list serves be used to communicate back and forth with your police representatives.  Ms. Edmonds has been doing a real good job of jumping in and addressing issues that can be handled routinely.  Her last response was not intended to put anyone off, but to maintain the true purpose of the Fifth District list serve.  Her contact information is provided so that she can be reached to personally handle your DC Govt. Agency concerns.  In know way was her response intended to represent that order maintenance issues are not connected to crime.  Just that there are different avenues for getting certain issues addressed.  Thank you for your consideration and understanding

                  Brian K. Jordan
                  Assistant Chief of Police
                  Regional Operations Command Central
                  1500 Eckington Pl., NE
                  Washington, DC 20002
                  e-mail address: brian.jordan@...
                  202 576-8881 Office
                  202 576-6056 Fax

                  <francine.edmonds@d...> wrote:
                  > Good Evening all!

                  > As previously requested by Chief Jordan and the other MP officials
                  they
                  > request that non-police issues not be addressed on this site. The
                  Ward 5
                  > Neighborhood Office phone number is listed below and we asked that
                  you
                  > contact us via phone or e-mail (Francine.edmonds@d...
                  > <mailto:Francine.edmonds@d...> ) after you have reported the
                  complaint to
                  > the Mayor's Call Center on (202) 727-1000.

                  > I am inquiring how this office can set-up a group for issues such
                  as above
                  > so the police can address police issues in a timely manner without
                  having to
                  > read through other agency concerns/problems.

                  > Francine P. Edmonds
                  > Ward 5 Neighborhood Services
                  > Executive Office of the Mayor
                  > Office of the City Administrator
                  > 64 New York Avenue NE, 4th Floor
                  > Washington, DC 20002
                  > (202) 671-0726
                  > (202) 671-0728 (Fax)
                  > (202) 359-0703 (Business cell)
                  > If you are not part of the Solution, you are part of the Problem.

                • Joey
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 28 12:45 PM
                    Regarding lights- if mcdean does not submit a work order the light will not get fixed regardless if there is a tracking number for he issue. Mcdean inspects does the initial inspection and repair. I have never seen ddot fix a streetlight yet. Mcdean does all of the work and often there is a disconnect between ddot and mcdean. I think lighting is an appropriate issue for this mpd list serve. sometimes these lights are deliberately put out by individuals in the neighborhood in order to facillitate illicit activities. Joey anc4c10
                    Absolutely. Just call the mayor's call center at 727-1000. Tell them about the light and they will assign it to the proper agency and give you a tracking number. This is the most effective way to take care of these things.

                    ________________________________

                    Also I have been calling the city and sending in by web requests to
                    fix the TWO street lights that are out on the same block of Bryant
                    Street as where the CSOSA officers were this morning. Bad behavior is
                    getting worse in the lack of light on the street at night. I have my
                    request numbers going back two months and still the lights are out.
                    With the issue this morning I'm even more concerned that the street
                    lights get back on. Can you help or tell me who to call that might
                    actually get someone out here asap! With TWO lights out it's freaking
                    dark.

                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, C Sheppard <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
                    > At least 3 police cars and about 10 officers several
                    > in bulletproof vests went into a house. Jackets said
                    > CSOSA. What's going on? It's definitely a problem
                    > house...

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.
                  • slycalls
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 28 1:14 PM
                      I had a similar problem where I had submitted e-mail and phone
                      requests over a few months to have a street light repaired. Contact
                      Mr. Kim Walker at 202-671-1352. He's an operations manager and he
                      got down to the bottom of it for me. Now we have a very bright
                      street light on our block. Hope he can do the same for you.

                      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "garett_jonesii" <garett_jonesii@y...>

                    • kimberly Niono
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 28 2:10 PM
                        Mr. Nelson
                        I must say that Ms. Edmonds has helped me with this very issue and several others.(I live in ward 5)  I dont think she meant to dismiss this person.  I know that she has asked that people send her emails directly concerning non-police matters.

                        I do however agree that having a streetlight is also a police matter. It could be helpful to have such a list rather than have us sign up for yet another group!!

                        <francine.edmonds@d...> wrote:
                        > Good Evening all!

                        > As previously requested by Chief Jordan and the other MP officials
                        they
                        > request that non-police issues not be addressed on this site. The
                        Ward 5
                        > Neighborhood Office phone number is listed below and we asked that
                        you
                        > contact us via phone or e-mail (Francine.edmonds@d...
                        > <mailto:Francine.edmonds@d...> ) after you have reported the
                        complaint to
                        > the Mayor's Call Center on (202) 727-1000.

                        > I am inquiring how this office can set-up a group for issues such
                        as above
                        > so the police can address police issues in a timely manner without
                        having to
                        > read through other agency concerns/problems.

                        > Francine P. Edmonds
                        > Ward 5 Neighborhood Services
                        > Executive Office of the Mayor
                        > Office of the City Administrator
                        > 64 New York Avenue NE, 4th Floor
                        > Washington, DC 20002
                        > (202) 671-0726
                        > (202) 671-0728 (Fax)
                        > (202) 359-0703 (Business cell)
                        > If you are not part of the Solution, you are part of the Problem.

                        Do you Yahoo!?

                      • helburnclu@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 28 7:49 PM
                          Thank you Chief Jordan. I was thinking of unsubscribing to the list
                          serve due to high volume of non-police miscellaneous city services
                          requests, until the email was sent out a while back asking that people
                          stick to police matters.

                          I wonder if part of the problem is that new subscribers have not seen
                          previous emails requesting that other city services issues be directed
                          to the mayor's call center, and then Ms. Edmonds if necessary. Perhaps
                          when people subscribe to the listserve a form could be generated to
                          explain this protocol? Then if people trying to get street lights fixed
                          have no success with the mayor's call center or Ms. Edmonds it might
                          indeed become an issue that the police department might appropriately
                          become involved with.

                          I appreciate that you and Ms. Edmonds are working together to ensure
                          that this list serve doesn't lose its potential power to bring police
                          officers and city residents to work together on our common public
                          safety concerns. When this list serve is used as someone's first stop
                          for a request that the mayor's call center is set up to deal with,
                          residents like me will stop subscribing and I imagine that our already
                          over-worked police officers will stop reading!

                          --Jennifer

                          <francine.edmonds@d...> wrote:
                          > Good Evening all!
                          >
                          > As previously requested by Chief Jordan and the other MP officials
                          they
                          > request that non-police issues not be addressed on this site. The
                          Ward 5
                          > Neighborhood Office phone number is listed below and we asked that
                          you
                          > contact us via phone or e-mail (Francine.edmonds@d...
                          > <mailto:Francine.edmonds@d...> ) after you have reported the
                          complaint to
                          > the Mayor's Call Center on (202) 727-1000.
                          >
                          > I am inquiring how this office can set-up a group for issues such
                          as above
                          > so the police can address police issues in a timely manner without
                          having to
                          > read through other agency concerns/problems.
                          >

                          > Francine P. Edmonds
                          > Ward 5 Neighborhood Services
                          > Executive Office of the Mayor
                          > Office of the City Administrator
                          > 64 New York Avenue NE, 4th Floor
                          > Washington, DC 20002
                          > (202) 671-0726
                          > (202) 671-0728 (Fax)
                          > (202) 359-0703 (Business cell)
                          > If you are not part of the Solution, you are part of the Problem.

                          Service
                          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                          >
                          > _____

                          --------
                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          * Visit your group "MPD-5D" on the web.

                          --------
                        • gwensouth@aol.com

                          • gwensouth@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 29 2:07 AM
                              Indeed I agree with Mr. Nelson and Mr. Jones.  No lights or dim lighting presents a serious problem for criminal enterprises to take place and fester.

                              It was so important, that as an ANC Commissioner, I and another ANC Commissioner were invited by Capt. Craig and Lt. Harris, to ride with them through the alleys of PSA 502 (now 501) late one night, to survey, inventory and take note of the poor lighting in the PSA.  We rode every street and alley and made a list of the areas that were poorly lit or not lit at all.  Many street and alley lights were out.  This list was sent to the Neighborhood Core team.  (Betcha a dollar for a donut that nothing got fixed.)

                              This ride-along came about as a result of our Problem Solving goals in the PSA meetings.  When asked what we the citizens could do to help MPD/ 5D combat crime, these MPD officers expressed that the lights in the alleys and many streets needed to be replaced and/or made brighter.

                              This tells me that MPD does have a vital interest in correcting the poor lighting in the city as it does deter crime.  We also did a survey of overgrown trees as well.  Because they provide cover for illegal activity and add to this mix no lighting and we've got a breeding ground for criminals and a very unsafe environment for the citizens who pay the salaries of the DC government employees.

                              The Neighborhood Services Core Team, in the Mayor's office, in my mind, are supposed to coordinate directly with MPD.  So no matter which agency receives the complaint, the Core team (composed of agencies of the Executive Branch) are to respond in an expedient manner to alleviate the problem.

                              Personally, what I find lacking in many of our government employees, including MPD, is a lack of judgment and creativeness in finding ways to solve problems.  It seems to me that a great deal of DC government employees are hampered by their job descriptions, so they say (which we need to start looking into) for they just can't think outside of the box and too many are lazy.  Chief Ramsey has spoken openly about these lazy employees, but he still keeps them employed.  (I guess it's too much paper work to fill out to fire them.)

                              I get the feeling that many DC government employees and paid elected officials think that we work for them and not vice versa.  Really I do, as they are always telling us what to do, instead of them doing what they are getting paid to do.

                              Appointed, elected and hired employees really do work for the taxpayers and the citizens.

                              And taxpayers need to revolt in some fashion.  I get tired of hearing you beg for municipal services and your requests go unheeded.  When you do get service, you're so grateful that you thank them profusely as if they are doing you a favor.

                              I also demand, via this email, that MPD collaborate with the appropriate DC government agencies to get these lights on.  And please don't send me a dry response about "thank you for your concern, blah, blah, blah."

                              Perhaps if most of MPD and other DC government employees actually lived in the city, they would have more interest and pride in the Nation's Capital.

                              I have had the occasion to visit Ft. Washington Park in Ft. Washington, Maryland and was simply baffled that on each visit, to see that there was an MPD marked vehicle parked nearby.  Everytime I went to the fort, it was near there.  (I would like an answer to that one.)

                              I urge Mr. Nelson, Mr. Jones and all citizens to demand DC government to get these lights up and on, and shining brightly too.

                              Gwen Southerland
                              Ward 5