RE: [MPD-5D] Bates and First, NW Shootings

  • Craig, Donald (MPD)
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2005
      The man from the first shooting did live. We have assigned more officers to the area in response to these incidents. I cannot give any more details than this right now. If you need more information e-mail me directly.

      Lt. Craig

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2005
        I learned this morning that a third shooting happened after midnight with
        another man being shot in both legs.

        I'm assuming he survived but would like confirmation on his injuries.

        Also, are these three incidents related and how much increased police
        presence will we be given?

        I think these three question should be okay for public dissemination...if
        not please answer those that are to the group.

        Thank you,

        Scott Shappell
        www.truxtoncircle.org

      • Craig, Donald (MPD)
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 29, 2005
          The man from the third shooting lived as well. We had another outburst last night. Several houses were shot up as well as several cars. We recovered one vehicle and some shell casings.

          This weekend we are moving the MCOPS van into the area and we are requesting redeployment and powere shift units to be sent in as well. As far as the P.S.A. officer starting this morning the number of officer assigned to the area will be doubled from two to four. If anything else comes up I will be sure to let you know.

          Lt. Craig

          ________________________________

          I learned this morning that a third shooting happened after midnight with
          another man being shot in both legs.

          I'm assuming he survived but would like confirmation on his injuries.

          Also, are these three incidents related and how much increased police
          presence will we be given?

          I think these three question should be okay for public dissemination...if
          not please answer those that are to the group.

          Thank you,

          Scott Shappell
          www.truxtoncircle.org

          >From: "Craig, Donald (MPD)" <Donald.Craig@...>
          >To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Bates and First, NW Shootings
          >Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:15:28 -0400
          >
          >The man from the first shooting did live. We have assigned more officers
          >to the area in response to these incidents. I cannot give any more details
          >than this right now. If you need more information e-mail me directly.
          >
          >Lt. Craig
          >
          >________________________________

        • Scott Shappell
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 29, 2005
            I understand just a few minutes ago there was another shooting in front of
            the Bates Market at the corner of Third and R, NW.

            My neighbor and our mail carrier had to duck onto a neighbors porch and were
            luckily invited inside.

            Please update us on what is happening.

            Something major is going on and we need help now.

          • helburnclu@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 29, 2005
              I had the misfortune of being there. This time the shooting was at
              Third and P, NW. I think the below email is a typo -- I know we are
              talking about the same shooting. It was in front of the Bates St.
              market.

              I have lived in this neighborhood for more than 4 years and have always
              felt safe. Over the past three days there have been so many shootings,
              including at least two in broad daylight, that I am now too scared to
              leave my house and walk my dog. This afternoon is the second time since
              Wednesday that I was practically in the middle of a firefight while
              trying to walk my dog. I am looking into options to board her until
              this calms down.

              I appreciate that a couple more officers have been added to our
              neighborhood, but it has become clear that is not enough. I was still
              in the vicinity of this afternoon's shootings a full five minutes after
              the fact, and there were still no police cars there. An operator with
              911 said that is because the police were looking for the vehicles
              instead. That certainly sounds like good police strategy if there are
              not enough officers to both go to the scene and to chase the shooters.

              But what I want to know is WHY THE MAYOR, THE POLICE CHIEF AND OUR CITY
              COUNCILMAN HAVE NOT GOTTEN ENOUGH OFFICERS DEPLOYED TO OUR NEIGHBORHOOD
              so that the police can chase the shooters AND go to the shooting scene
              before the numerous witnesses who WERE there leave to flee for safety.

              There is a lot of talk about homeland security and increased patrols on
              the metro, safety restrictions on Capitol Hill, etc. Frankly, I am much
              more likely to be killed while taking my dog for a walk than I am to be
              a victim of a "terrorist" attack. I put that word in quotes because
              THIS NEIGHBORHOOD HAS SUDDENLY BECOME A BATTLEGROUND BETWEEN TEENAGERS
              WITH GUNS AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY THE CITY GOVERNMENT IS NOT
              RESPONDING AS THEY WOULD IF THERE WERE A 'TRUE' TERRORIST ATTACK.

              Could it possibly be because we are in Ward 5 instead of Ward 1 or 2?
              The only reason people haven't been killed yet is because the shooters
              have had bad enough aim not to kill their targets, but not so bad that
              they have killed someone else who just had the misfortune of being in
              the vicinity at the same time. Our "luck" will not hold out much
              longer.

              And to add to my frustration, I was so freaked out that I can not even
              picture the cars or people well enough to give the police a description.

              I understand just a few minutes ago there was another shooting in
              front of
              the Bates Market at the corner of Third and R, NW.

              My neighbor and our mail carrier had to duck onto a neighbors porch and
              were
              luckily invited inside.

              Please update us on what is happening.

              Something major is going on and we need help now.

              Scott Shappell
              www.truxtoncircle.org

              >From: "Craig, Donald (MPD)" <Donald.Craig@...>
              >To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Bates and First, NW Shootings
              >Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:51:40 -0400
              >
              >The man from the third shooting lived as well. We had another
              outburst
              >last night. Several houses were shot up as well as several cars. We
              >recovered one vehicle and some shell casings.
              >
              >This weekend we are moving the MCOPS van into the area and we are
              >requesting redeployment and powere shift units to be sent in as well.
              As
              >far as the P.S.A. officer starting this morning the number of officer
              >assigned to the area will be doubled from two to four. If anything
              else
              >comes up I will be sure to let you know.
              >
              >Lt. Craig

            • Christina Zvir
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 29, 2005
                Let's remember all our safety and crime problems - and those who don't
                do anything to protect or improve DC and our community - when election
                time comes around. When it comes to (possibly losing) their positions,
                then they might be a little more concerned.

                >>> helburnclu@... 7/29/2005 4:15:29 PM >>>

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Visit your group "MPD-5D" on the web.