TONIGHT: Fundraiser for Webb Elementary School After-School Program

  • Matt Ashburn
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2008
      Friends and neighbors,

      We hear a lot of discussion about crime, quality of life issues, and
      youth in our area. While it's good to talk about these issues, it's
      also important to take proactive action. In my personal opinion,
      there's little room to omplain unless you're wiling to step up and do
      something. This is your chance, and it won't cost very much.

      The after-school program of Webb Elementary School provides activities
      to youth after the end of the school day. Unfortunately, the program
      is GREATLY UNDERFUNDED, with the government allotting only ONE
      thousand dollars per year for this program. Recently, I heard that
      the program--which has 221 students-- didn't even receive its allotted
      funding last year and hasn't yet received any for this year.

      Trinidad Association, a local non-profit group, has organized a
      fundraiser to be held TONIGHT at 1103 Bladensburg Road NE. In
      exchange for a $20 donation, you'll receive free food, drinks, and
      music (DJ T Y, a Trinidad native). Here are the details:

      Where: 1103 Bladensburg Road NE (Jimmy Valentine's)
      When: 6pm - 9pm
      Who: You and your friends and neighbors
      Why: Because $20 is a small amount to pay to help out a valuable yet
      underfunded (or, possibly, unfunded) after-school program.

      My company, Ashburn Security Technologies, has pledged a donation, and
      I encourage other local businesses to do so as well. It's time we
      stop complaining unless we're actually doing something, and this is a
      chance to do something great.

      As a proud Trinidad/Ward 5 resident, I'll be there tonight, and hope
      that you'll join me.

      Thanks,

      Matt

      --