We Took a Stand to Protect Our Community

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2008
      Good Morning:

      Last night twenty-five concerned neighbors marched for safety in the
      1200 block of 18th Street, NE, alongside Guardian Angel James Pitt and
      5D Sergeant Irving and other officers. We raised our voices in unison,
      chanting: "What do we want? Safe Streets! When do we want them? Now!"
      We took over the block, sending a clear message that we will stand up
      for our neighborhoods to demand increased public safety.

      We agreed to meet at the corner of 17th and M Streets, NE after
      completing our safety walk last week. At approximately 3:30 p.m.
      yesterday, a lone gunmen sprayed the entire 1200 block of 18th Street,
      NE (18th and M) with bullets, shattering a car window, puncturing
      several cars and littering the ground with shell casings. If any among
      us were afraid if was never visible. We talked about last week's
      historic election and agreed the time is now to make positive changes
      in our community. We will keep our streets clean and vigilantly report
      all suspicious activity, protecting our neighborhoods and our
      interests. I am so proud of my neighbors for standing up for safety.

      I encourage all to organize safety patrols in your neighborhood and
      protect what your tax dollars pay for. These are our streets and we
      must do our part to help the police keep them safe. We will walk next
      Wednesday at 7:00 p.m., meeting at 19th and Bennett Place, NE. All are
      welcome to join us. Remember, safe neighborhoods do not just happen,
      they are made. Yes we can. Yes we can. Yes we can!

      Sincerely,

      Kathy Henderson