Re: [MPD-5D] Excessive Generator Use

  • Gigi Ransom
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
      This family could receive help.  Pls contact Alice Thompson, Mayor Fenty's Ward 5 Constituents Services Coordinator, 202-442-8150; CM Thomas's office, 202-724-8028; and/or, the Office of the People's Counsel, Herb Jones or Ardella Newman, 202-727-3071.  You would need to provide an address.

      This family should be more than qualified to receive energy assistance.  They just missed the Utility Discount Day at the Convention Center earlier this week, but they can still receive assistance through the DC Energy Office, located on the 3rd floor at the Reeves Center, on 14th & U Sts. NW.

      The generator could be illegal.  I know you have concerns, but you may want to speak with someone in the Fire Dept.  Better to be safe, than sorry.

      Gigi Ransom, Pleasant HIlls Civic Assn.

      From: "amber" <faceartists@ aol.com>
      Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 03:00:49 -0000
      To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com>
      Subject: [MPD-5D] Excessive Generator Use
      Hi All-

      I hope that someone may have suggestions as to how to deal with a
      situation. I apologize if this is not a MPD matter....I also posted
      on the civic association' s group.

      We are attached to a home that has been without power since mid-July.
      The occupants have resorted to using a gas generator day in and day
      out to supply a minimal amount of power to the home. I suspect that
      the refrigerator is running off of the generator as we have not seen
      lights in months. Our main complaint is that our home constantly
      smells of gasoline and we fear the fumes. We opt to spend most of our
      time on the upper level of our home now because the gas fumes are so
      strong. You couple that with the amount of noise the generator makes
      and you have an increasingly unbearable situation.

      We have notified and complained to DCHA but we are not certain if
      anything has been looked into.

      Is it illegal to run a generator for so long? Are there any other
      avenues to pursue with this.....my husband constantly complains of
      headaches and he believes that they are caused by the fumes.

      Any help is appreciated!

      Thanks!

    • k3
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
        You might get past the kids by mailing a letter, one that doesn't look too personal, but that doesn't look like it comes from a creditor/collection agency .. if you can find a way to address it to someone besides "occupant". Since it sounds like they may NOT be renters, the last name of the family might be available in the city's online real estate sales database. The letter (on full-sized paper in a business envelope) can be short and simple: I'm Amber, your neighbor, and I'd like to talk to you; please call me at ...

        These situations are difficult. Some people end up exploiting the good will of others. On the flip side, many deserving people in need are reluctant to last to ask for help.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
          You may also want to contact DCRA regarding the constant use of the
          generator.
          To illustrate to everyone the danger in being near a house whose
          generator is running non-stop, about 4 years ago the house across the
          alley from me and a few doors down caught fire because of the non-stop
          generator. The generator was sitting in the back yard and the leaves
          were dry and it was hot, and then fire. Part of the rear of the house
          was wood, and obviously that caught fire, and the fire got inside the
          house and spread. The fire also burned part of the adjoining house
          which only had vinyl siding and that got charred and melted. It didn't
          damage inside of the neighboring house. The house on the other side was
          brick all the way and was fine, except for burn marks.
          It is only a matter of time before a generator that was not designed to
          run 24/7 either goes kaput or aflame.