Re: [MPD-5D] Excessive Generator Use

  • Keisha C. Streeter-Clark
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
      Amber,
      Did you already communicate your concerns to your neighbor?

      Keisha

      Cell:202-258-7616
      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      From: "amber" <faceartists@...>
      Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 03:00:49 -0000
      To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [MPD-5D] Excessive Generator Use

      Hi All-

      I hope that someone may have suggestions as to how to deal with a
      situation. I apologize if this is not a MPD matter....I also posted
      on the civic association' s group.

      We are attached to a home that has been without power since mid-July.
      The occupants have resorted to using a gas generator day in and day
      out to supply a minimal amount of power to the home. I suspect that
      the refrigerator is running off of the generator as we have not seen
      lights in months. Our main complaint is that our home constantly
      smells of gasoline and we fear the fumes. We opt to spend most of our
      time on the upper level of our home now because the gas fumes are so
      strong. You couple that with the amount of noise the generator makes
      and you have an increasingly unbearable situation.

      We have notified and complained to DCHA but we are not certain if
      anything has been looked into.

      Is it illegal to run a generator for so long? Are there any other
      avenues to pursue with this.....my husband constantly complains of
      headaches and he believes that they are caused by the fumes.

      Any help is appreciated!

      Thanks!

    • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
        Re: [MPD-5D] Excessive Generator Use

        It is not illegal, however their may be some sort of housing code violation.  I will forward this email to the mayors outreach coordinator for referral!!  Mr. LeSeur has been excellant assisting us with these sorts of issues!!

        ________________________________

        From: "amber" <faceartists@...>
        Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 03:00:49 -0000
        To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

      • faceartists@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
          I would like to speak with someone, but I never see an adult or the mother...its always her children that I see. I asked if someone could let the mom know that I wanted to talk to her but I have not seen her around. In all actuality, both myself and my husband are concerned about the kids...although most of them are teenagers.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
            Have you offered to help them get their electric bill paid so they can have electricity?  Especially if there are kids in the house....or offered to run an extension cord from your house to theirs?  Its probably a question of MONEY.......paying PEPCO.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
              I would like to help, which is why I asked to speak with an adult. I am reluctant to run an extension cord, as we cannot afford to pay for power for two homes...we are not well off, just regular working folks...and we monitor our power usage, i.e. making sure that lights are turned off and such...but if we can help with something, we would like to. I am certain that it is a question of paying Pepco, as Pepco has come out and placed a lock on their box.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
                This family could receive help.  Pls contact Alice Thompson, Mayor Fenty's Ward 5 Constituents Services Coordinator, 202-442-8150; CM Thomas's office, 202-724-8028; and/or, the Office of the People's Counsel, Herb Jones or Ardella Newman, 202-727-3071.  You would need to provide an address.

                This family should be more than qualified to receive energy assistance.  They just missed the Utility Discount Day at the Convention Center earlier this week, but they can still receive assistance through the DC Energy Office, located on the 3rd floor at the Reeves Center, on 14th & U Sts. NW.

                The generator could be illegal.  I know you have concerns, but you may want to speak with someone in the Fire Dept.  Better to be safe, than sorry.

                Gigi Ransom, Pleasant HIlls Civic Assn.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
                  You might get past the kids by mailing a letter, one that doesn't look too personal, but that doesn't look like it comes from a creditor/collection agency .. if you can find a way to address it to someone besides "occupant". Since it sounds like they may NOT be renters, the last name of the family might be available in the city's online real estate sales database. The letter (on full-sized paper in a business envelope) can be short and simple: I'm Amber, your neighbor, and I'd like to talk to you; please call me at ...

                  These situations are difficult. Some people end up exploiting the good will of others. On the flip side, many deserving people in need are reluctant to last to ask for help.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
                    You may also want to contact DCRA regarding the constant use of the
                    generator.
                    To illustrate to everyone the danger in being near a house whose
                    generator is running non-stop, about 4 years ago the house across the
                    alley from me and a few doors down caught fire because of the non-stop
                    generator. The generator was sitting in the back yard and the leaves
                    were dry and it was hot, and then fire. Part of the rear of the house
                    was wood, and obviously that caught fire, and the fire got inside the
                    house and spread. The fire also burned part of the adjoining house
                    which only had vinyl siding and that got charred and melted. It didn't
                    damage inside of the neighboring house. The house on the other side was
                    brick all the way and was fine, except for burn marks.
                    It is only a matter of time before a generator that was not designed to
                    run 24/7 either goes kaput or aflame.