The DC Youth Advisory Council currently accepting applications 2008-2009 council

  • mpd5d_coordinator
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2008

      Good Afternoon, 5D Community

      also see http://rrc.dc.gov/rrc/cwp/view.asp?a=1189&q=460344

      The DC Youth Advisory Council (DCYAC) is pleased to announce that we are currently accepting applications for the 2008-2009 council. Located within the Executive Office of the Mayor, the DCYAC was created by District youth and officials in order for young people to have an official ongoing voice in the policies, programs and actions within the city. The DCYAC is responsible for influencing change in legislation and policies that impact youth, and for developing more youth and adult partnerships.

       The DCYAC consists of 32 council members, between the ages of 13 and 22, selected from various sectors of the District (3 members from each of the 8 wards and 8 at-large representatives who have experience with the Juvenile Justice System and Foster Care). Membership reflects a broad range of diversity encompassing, but not limited to, relevant differences such as ethnicity, location of residency, religion and gender. The Youth Advisory Council advises the Mayor, the District Council, DC public schools, other key decision makers in the District government, and other adult leaders in the District by:

       *          Commenting on legislation and policies that impact youth;

      *          Presenting methods to resolve youth-related conflicts between youth and between youth and adults;

      *          Proposing recommendations to improve the lives of youth;

      *          Monitoring and measuring the effectiveness of youth programs and policies;

      *          Partnering with neighborhood and youth organizations; and

      *          Providing youth with leadership development trainings.

      The DCYAC is a wonderful way for young people in the District to gain experience in community service, civic participation and youth advocacy. Throughout the year, DCYAC members will be able to meet and work with other District youth through numerous programs and collaborations. In the addition, DCYAC members will have the opportunity to travel to different cities and participate in national conferences and events.

      Please forward information about our program to young people in your network. Please note that applicants must have been residents of the District of Columbia for at least one year. The application is available on our website at www.dcyac.dc.gov. Clink on the "Become a Member" link. The deadline for applications is Friday, October 3, 2008 but we are interviewing candidates now.

      For more information contact Carol Talley, Program Analyst at Carol.Talley@... mailto:Carol.Talley@...>  or 202.727.7976.

      Carol. Talley, M.PA

      Program Analyst

      Executive Office of the Mayor