RE: [MPD-5D] Re: fireworks in DC

  • Medoro, Anthony (MPD)
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2005
      Regina James recently forwarded and posted an excerpt on the law concerning fireworks. I believe the ones you saw were legal ones (sparklers, fountains, etc). To date, fireworks to some extent are legal in the District. Citizens who choose to use them are susceptible to civil and possible criminal penalties for their misuse.

      Lt. Medoro

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 12, 2005
        Might I recommend that the fire and EMS departments
        offer training and orientation to neighborhoods within
        DC for proper handling of fireworks. Maybe make a
        video for the schools to show to the students in May
        or June of each year.

        --- "Medoro, Anthony (MPD)" <Anthony.Medoro@...>

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • gwensouth@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 13, 2005
          Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that "fireworks" were legal in DC only if they are to be used on July 4th, right?

          "Firecrackers" are illegal in DC, even on the 4th.  It is the latter that are causing most of the problems in the neighborhoods.  Some residents are still firing off "firecrackers" which cannot be differentiated, by sound, from gunfire.

          Police intervention with the "firecracker" users would go a long way in alleviating the disturbances caused by these devices and persons who use them, including the little kids, because they are the culprits too.

          As of this date, I'm still hearing "firecrackers" go off.  I called 311 several times and was told that "it's hard to catch the perpetrators since they stop when they see the police cruiser and would I be willing to go out and point out these people to the police when they arrive on the scene."  Hmmm...

          I, in turn, asked why couldn't MPD send someone in plainclothes to see who is lighting the "firecrackers."  The response was that they were short of personnel.  However, a detective who overheard my conversation said that he would ride over to my neighborhood (bless him) to stop this activity.

          I believe if we had more MPD plainclothes/car surveillance, then MPD could see for themselves these bothersome and often illegal activities that the good citizens have to tolerate.  What to do?

          Gwen Southerland
          Ward 5

          In a message dated 07/12/2005 7:48:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, Anthony.Medoro@... writes:
          Regina James recently forwarded and posted an excerpt on the law concerning fireworks.  I believe the ones you saw were legal ones (sparklers, fountains, etc).  To date, fireworks to some extent are legal in the District.  Citizens who choose to use them are susceptible to civil and possible criminal penalties for their misuse.

          Lt. Medoro

          ________________________________

          I thought the street fireworks were wonderful.  Crowds of people were
          lighting them everywhere as I drove north on North Capitol Street.  I
          went out on my roof and looked across the city and saw every sort of
          fireworks launched into the sky, some of them quite large.

          The fireworks ban obviously is not being enforced and should be
          repealed immediately.  If the City was serious about the ban, all
          officers had to do was drive through the city with several large
          holding vehicles and herd hundreds of people into the vehicles for
          processing.  If any property is damaged by fireworks, then those
          people should be charged under the relevant property damage laws.  If
          the laws are only being enforced sporatically or not at all,
          individuals who were under the impression that the law does not even
          exist because it is never enforced can be singled out with impunity
          by
          officers who hold grudges.  Unenforced laws are dangerous to liberty
          and should be repealed.

          KJH

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "slycalls" <slycalls@y...> wrote:
          > The lighting of fireworks was ridiculous in the area of 20th Street
          &
          > Rhode Island Avenue last night. I had teens lighting fireworks
          around
          > my house that lived nowhere near the area. I know the police can't
          be
          > everywhere and it was a holiday where folks usually light fireworks
          but
          > they are illegal in DC, right?  So what can we as citizens do to
          not
          > only crack down on the fireworks but also change the laws to stop
          > selling fireworks in DC?

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Catina Perkins
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 18, 2005
            Have anyone noticed the growing young crowd outside of the 7-eleven on 20th
            and Rhode Island. I tried to call them on the phone and they are not even
            listed as a business. ummmm......

            I thought the street fireworks were wonderful. Crowds of people were
            lighting them everywhere as I drove north on North Capitol Street. I
            went out on my roof and looked across the city and saw every sort of
            fireworks launched into the sky, some of them quite large.

            The fireworks ban obviously is not being enforced and should be
            repealed immediately. If the City was serious about the ban, all
            officers had to do was drive through the city with several large
            holding vehicles and herd hundreds of people into the vehicles for
            processing. If any property is damaged by fireworks, then those
            people should be charged under the relevant property damage laws. If
            the laws are only being enforced sporatically or not at all,
            individuals who were under the impression that the law does not even
            exist because it is never enforced can be singled out with impunity
            by
            officers who hold grudges. Unenforced laws are dangerous to liberty
            and should be repealed.

            KJH

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "slycalls" <slycalls@y...> wrote:
            > The lighting of fireworks was ridiculous in the area of 20th Street
            &
            > Rhode Island Avenue last night. I had teens lighting fireworks
            around
            > my house that lived nowhere near the area. I know the police can't
            be
            > everywhere and it was a holiday where folks usually light fireworks
            but
            > they are illegal in DC, right? So what can we as citizens do to
            not
            > only crack down on the fireworks but also change the laws to stop
            > selling fireworks in DC?

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • slycalls
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 19, 2005
              Not only is is younger crowd, but how about just the general
              loitering at all hours of the day and night? Right now, there is a
              tall African-American male that usually has a set of headphones on
              and is wearing either some kind of security uniform or fatigues.
              I've seen him pacing outside the 7-11 at all times of the day and
              night. And there are still the beggars and the prostitutes that hang
              around the parking lot. I have noticed that the police presence in
              our area has increased and we do appreciate it. Please keep it up!

              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Catina Perkins <cperkins@n...> wrote:
              > Have anyone noticed the growing young crowd outside of the 7-eleven
              on 20th
              > and Rhode Island. I tried to call them on the phone and they are
              not even
              > listed as a business. ummmm......

              Behalf Of
              > Medoro, Anthony (MPD)
              > Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2005 2:31 PM
              > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Re: fireworks in DC
              >

              > Regina James recently forwarded and posted an excerpt on the law
              concerning
              > fireworks. I believe the ones you saw were legal ones (sparklers,
              > fountains, etc). To date, fireworks to some extent are legal in the
              > District. Citizens who choose to use them are susceptible to civil
              and
              > possible criminal penalties for their misuse.
              >
              > Lt. Medoro
              >
              > _____

            • Catina Perkins
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 19, 2005
                Message
                The guy in the fatigues is supposed to be their security guard.  Sometimes he has on fatigues and other times he dressed in the blue uniform type outfit.  Yes, I have to agree; the presence of the police is welcoming and they are doing a great job.  I wish we could utilize the  recreation center for more  community events.  Maybe a meet and greet your new neighbors.