Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Fireworks stand - 10th & RI NE

  • helburnclu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
      I launched a similar effort last year. DCRA was useless, which is pretty much always the case. But I eventually connected with a fire inspector through the fire department. The guy (I wish I remembered his name!) was so helpful. He explained the process to me and sadly, he had already inspected the two stands I was calling about and they had passed muster.

      But he did say that when the stands set up in front of a property they have to have the permission of the property owner. So if there are stands you don't want to return next year it might help to have community pressure brought to bear on the owner of the property/business on which the stand is located. From what I understand, if they don't get the property owner's permission they can't operate a stand.

      This year we had a bit of a reprieve from the usual two months long bang bang of firecrackers at all hours of the day and night -- the two stands didn't open until about a week before the 4th, and they are now closed. In the past they've opened about a month before the fourth. It was amazing what a difference the shorter time frame made. Don't get me wrong -- there were still firecrackers, etc., but not nearly as many as in the past. So perhaps a shorter time frame for the stands' operation could be your fallback position in negotations with the property owners for next year.

      Also, the fire inspector explained that the stands officially only sell the limited type of items that are legal under DC regs., but that many of the proprietors stash the illegal (and more lucrative) items nearby and sell them to people who ask for them and who they feel are not trying to do a sting operation. Then if someone does get caught selling illegal items from the trunk of a car parked nearby, or from inside of a public garbage can, then they aren't associated with the stand, which can then still stay in business. It sounds like he and his colleagues were all working very hard to address the situation, but the deck is stacked against them. There was an interesting City Paper article on the sale of illegal fireworks last year around this time. Not sure if it's available on their website, but it was enlightening to me.

      Hope this is helpful to you achieving some peace in your neighborhood next year.
      --Jennifer

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
        For future references if you feel uncomfortable in asking for a business license notify us and we will assist in the complaint.

        Lt. Medoro

        ________________________________

        I called DCRA about this stand, just to make sure it had the proper permits
        and weren't selling any of the illegal fireworks.

        They told me the only way they could track the stand was not by address but
        by the owner's name, and the only way I could find out if it was all legal would
        be to ask the people running the stand if I could see the business license and
        the certificate of occupancy.

        I admit I didn't ask to see the licenses. Things are tense enough over here
        and I didn't feel comfortable. I did see things that looked like "official
        documents" taped to the wall inside the stand, but certainly couldn't tell if they
        were photocopies or the real thing.

        I did complain that the system of checking on licenses was not very citizen-
        friendly. They gave me a number of an office where I can complain about the
        procedure for next year. It seems tracking the stands by location instead of
        owner's name would allow citizens to make sure everything was on the up
        and up without having a potential altercation with someone who isn't properly
        licensed.

        If anyone else wants to lodge a complaint, let me know and I will post the
        information here or e-mail it to you.

        Kristen
        10th & Douglas

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "baringlake" <baringlake@y...> wrote:
        > My husband noticed a fireworks stand on the corner of 10th & RI Ave NE
        > this afternoon. Is this legal? If not, could someone check it out?
        > It's right by those problem apartment buildings in the 2500 block of
        > 10th St NE. Thanks for your help with this!

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bill and Rob
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
          It's amazing how much effort people are putting into
          stopping other's from celebrating their freedoms. I
          sure wish this same appreciation for civil service to
          safety would be given when driving a car or keeping
          the neighborhood streets and alleys clean from broken
          glass, little plastic baggies, cans, and other trash
          (like the wrappers from the fireworks).

          --- "Medoro, Anthony (MPD)" <Anthony.Medoro@...>

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/