Observations

  • RobbyCU
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2008
      I just returned to Trinidad from Southern Nevada, while there I had the pleasure to see and tour the Hoover Dam, http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/.   The dam is one of the greatest engineering achievements in the western hemisphere. More than that it is an awesome example of what people can do, when they work together in a common cause.

      If men and women, with 1930s technology and in the midst of the great depression, can tame the mighty Colorado,  build one of the largest dams, all at no cost to the tax payers and two years early and under budget, then I think we can work to rebuild our neighborhoods.

      We need to work together, we need to be fair and at times we need to argue fairly.  Sometimes we will agree to disagree, sometimes we will just not agree at all. Taking personal shots is never acceptable.

      As with Hoover damn, great innovation is required to turn Trinidad/Ivy City/Langston/Carver  around. We need to combine our collective strengths to build up these neighborhoods, and to improve our quality of life.

      The night before my return to DC, I had a nightmare about being robbed in the neighborhood at gun point.  For a second I didn't want to return here, but I have with a renewed commitment to help prevent  making that nightmare a reality for anyone.

      It isn't about praise, or glory, or neighborhood or sub-neighborhood rivalries. It isn't about the accomplishments  of  one ANC over another. There is no record, there is however, a grim body count. We don't have a mightily river to tame, but we do have a task of equally daunting complexity before us.  It's hard and serious work, it will require  a great deal of effort and commitment. Everybody's efforts is important and everyone should be respected, be they 30 year residents or people who have just moved in, or people that have chosen to open up a business here.   We don't have to like each other and sometimes fences make good neighbors,  but we need not get off track or tear each other apart. While we are  fighting the dealers and other criminals are reorganizing.  They mean business, it's time we got down to business.

      N.B.: If any of you object to this e-mail, e-mail me directly, we can talk perhaps over tea or coffee, but lets not play verbal ping pong on an e-mail list.

      -Robby

      "We cannot learn from one another until we stop shouting at one another—until we speak quietly enough so that our words can be heard as well as our voices."
      - President Richard M. Nixon
      (First Inaugural Address)