Re: fireworks in DC

  • vivaldi1787
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 8, 2005
      I thought the street fireworks were wonderful. Crowds of people were
      lighting them everywhere as I drove north on North Capitol Street. I
      went out on my roof and looked across the city and saw every sort of
      fireworks launched into the sky, some of them quite large.

      The fireworks ban obviously is not being enforced and should be
      repealed immediately. If the City was serious about the ban, all
      officers had to do was drive through the city with several large
      holding vehicles and herd hundreds of people into the vehicles for
      processing. If any property is damaged by fireworks, then those
      people should be charged under the relevant property damage laws. If
      the laws are only being enforced sporatically or not at all,
      individuals who were under the impression that the law does not even
      exist because it is never enforced can be singled out with impunity
      by
      officers who hold grudges. Unenforced laws are dangerous to liberty
      and should be repealed.

      KJH

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "slycalls" <slycalls@y...> wrote:
      > The lighting of fireworks was ridiculous in the area of 20th Street
      &
      > Rhode Island Avenue last night. I had teens lighting fireworks
      around
      > my house that lived nowhere near the area. I know the police can't
      be
      > everywhere and it was a holiday where folks usually light fireworks
      but
      > they are illegal in DC, right? So what can we as citizens do to
      not
      > only crack down on the fireworks but also change the laws to stop
      > selling fireworks in DC?
    • Toby Susse
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 8, 2005
        Message
        I, too, enjoy fireworks - when they are done by professionals with training who take appropriate safety measures - top of the list on safety rules certainly must be DO NOT SET OFF IN RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOODS.  I will gladly sacrifice the beauty of street fireworks if it means saving a house from burning down or a kid losing some fingers... or worse!

        I agree the laws need to be enforced better - I suspect part of the problem is that the MPD is pushed to the limit on the 4th with the crowds on the mall and traffic going in and out of the city.  That is why it is so important that access to fireworks is limited before the main event - those temporary firework stands need to be shut down - or, if that can't be done, there needs to be stricter enforcement of licensing and sales.

        Toby
        I thought the street fireworks were wonderful.  Crowds of people were
        lighting them everywhere as I drove north on North Capitol Street.  I
        went out on my roof and looked across the city and saw every sort of
        fireworks launched into the sky, some of them quite large.

        The fireworks ban obviously is not being enforced and should be
        repealed immediately.
      • Medoro, Anthony (MPD)
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 9, 2005
          Regina James recently forwarded and posted an excerpt on the law concerning fireworks. I believe the ones you saw were legal ones (sparklers, fountains, etc). To date, fireworks to some extent are legal in the District. Citizens who choose to use them are susceptible to civil and possible criminal penalties for their misuse.

          Lt. Medoro

          ________________________________

          I thought the street fireworks were wonderful. Crowds of people were
          lighting them everywhere as I drove north on North Capitol Street. I
          went out on my roof and looked across the city and saw every sort of
          fireworks launched into the sky, some of them quite large.

          The fireworks ban obviously is not being enforced and should be
          repealed immediately. If the City was serious about the ban, all
          officers had to do was drive through the city with several large
          holding vehicles and herd hundreds of people into the vehicles for
          processing. If any property is damaged by fireworks, then those
          people should be charged under the relevant property damage laws. If
          the laws are only being enforced sporatically or not at all,
          individuals who were under the impression that the law does not even
          exist because it is never enforced can be singled out with impunity
          by
          officers who hold grudges. Unenforced laws are dangerous to liberty
          and should be repealed.

          KJH

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "slycalls" <slycalls@y...> wrote:
          > The lighting of fireworks was ridiculous in the area of 20th Street
          &
          > Rhode Island Avenue last night. I had teens lighting fireworks
          around
          > my house that lived nowhere near the area. I know the police can't
          be
          > everywhere and it was a holiday where folks usually light fireworks
          but
          > they are illegal in DC, right? So what can we as citizens do to
          not
          > only crack down on the fireworks but also change the laws to stop
          > selling fireworks in DC?

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Joey
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2005
            Many of the fireworks were purchased in pa or sc therefore if all of the stands in dc were shutdown there would still be an unlimited number of fireworks in the city. Joey
[...]

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            Visit your group "MPD-5D" on the web.

            Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.
          • Bill and Rob
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 12, 2005
              Might I recommend that the fire and EMS departments
              offer training and orientation to neighborhoods within
              DC for proper handling of fireworks. Maybe make a
              video for the schools to show to the students in May
              or June of each year.

              --- "Medoro, Anthony (MPD)" <Anthony.Medoro@...>

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
            • gwensouth@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 13, 2005
                Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that "fireworks" were legal in DC only if they are to be used on July 4th, right?

                "Firecrackers" are illegal in DC, even on the 4th.  It is the latter that are causing most of the problems in the neighborhoods.  Some residents are still firing off "firecrackers" which cannot be differentiated, by sound, from gunfire.

                Police intervention with the "firecracker" users would go a long way in alleviating the disturbances caused by these devices and persons who use them, including the little kids, because they are the culprits too.

                As of this date, I'm still hearing "firecrackers" go off.  I called 311 several times and was told that "it's hard to catch the perpetrators since they stop when they see the police cruiser and would I be willing to go out and point out these people to the police when they arrive on the scene."  Hmmm...

                I, in turn, asked why couldn't MPD send someone in plainclothes to see who is lighting the "firecrackers."  The response was that they were short of personnel.  However, a detective who overheard my conversation said that he would ride over to my neighborhood (bless him) to stop this activity.

                I believe if we had more MPD plainclothes/car surveillance, then MPD could see for themselves these bothersome and often illegal activities that the good citizens have to tolerate.  What to do?

                Gwen Southerland
                Ward 5

                In a message dated 07/12/2005 7:48:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, Anthony.Medoro@... writes:
                Regina James recently forwarded and posted an excerpt on the law concerning fireworks.  I believe the ones you saw were legal ones (sparklers, fountains, etc).  To date, fireworks to some extent are legal in the District.  Citizens who choose to use them are susceptible to civil and possible criminal penalties for their misuse.

                Lt. Medoro

                ________________________________

                I thought the street fireworks were wonderful.  Crowds of people were
                lighting them everywhere as I drove north on North Capitol Street.  I
                went out on my roof and looked across the city and saw every sort of
                fireworks launched into the sky, some of them quite large.

                The fireworks ban obviously is not being enforced and should be
                repealed immediately.  If the City was serious about the ban, all
                officers had to do was drive through the city with several large
                holding vehicles and herd hundreds of people into the vehicles for
                processing.  If any property is damaged by fireworks, then those
                people should be charged under the relevant property damage laws.  If
                the laws are only being enforced sporatically or not at all,
                individuals who were under the impression that the law does not even
                exist because it is never enforced can be singled out with impunity
                by
                officers who hold grudges.  Unenforced laws are dangerous to liberty
                and should be repealed.

                KJH

                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "slycalls" <slycalls@y...> wrote:
                > The lighting of fireworks was ridiculous in the area of 20th Street
                &
                > Rhode Island Avenue last night. I had teens lighting fireworks
                around
                > my house that lived nowhere near the area. I know the police can't
                be
                > everywhere and it was a holiday where folks usually light fireworks
                but
                > they are illegal in DC, right?  So what can we as citizens do to
                not
                > only crack down on the fireworks but also change the laws to stop
                > selling fireworks in DC?

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Catina Perkins
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 18, 2005
                  Have anyone noticed the growing young crowd outside of the 7-eleven on 20th
                  and Rhode Island. I tried to call them on the phone and they are not even
                  listed as a business. ummmm......

                  I thought the street fireworks were wonderful. Crowds of people were
                  lighting them everywhere as I drove north on North Capitol Street. I
                  went out on my roof and looked across the city and saw every sort of
                  fireworks launched into the sky, some of them quite large.

                  The fireworks ban obviously is not being enforced and should be
                  repealed immediately. If the City was serious about the ban, all
                  officers had to do was drive through the city with several large
                  holding vehicles and herd hundreds of people into the vehicles for
                  processing. If any property is damaged by fireworks, then those
                  people should be charged under the relevant property damage laws. If
                  the laws are only being enforced sporatically or not at all,
                  individuals who were under the impression that the law does not even
                  exist because it is never enforced can be singled out with impunity
                  by
                  officers who hold grudges. Unenforced laws are dangerous to liberty
                  and should be repealed.

                  KJH

                  --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "slycalls" <slycalls@y...> wrote:
                  > The lighting of fireworks was ridiculous in the area of 20th Street
                  &
                  > Rhode Island Avenue last night. I had teens lighting fireworks
                  around
                  > my house that lived nowhere near the area. I know the police can't
                  be
                  > everywhere and it was a holiday where folks usually light fireworks
                  but
                  > they are illegal in DC, right? So what can we as citizens do to
                  not
                  > only crack down on the fireworks but also change the laws to stop
                  > selling fireworks in DC?

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • slycalls
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 19, 2005
                    Not only is is younger crowd, but how about just the general
                    loitering at all hours of the day and night? Right now, there is a
                    tall African-American male that usually has a set of headphones on
                    and is wearing either some kind of security uniform or fatigues.
                    I've seen him pacing outside the 7-11 at all times of the day and
                    night. And there are still the beggars and the prostitutes that hang
                    around the parking lot. I have noticed that the police presence in
                    our area has increased and we do appreciate it. Please keep it up!

                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Catina Perkins <cperkins@n...> wrote:
                    > Have anyone noticed the growing young crowd outside of the 7-eleven
                    on 20th
                    > and Rhode Island. I tried to call them on the phone and they are
                    not even
                    > listed as a business. ummmm......

                    Behalf Of
                    > Medoro, Anthony (MPD)
                    > Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2005 2:31 PM
                    > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Re: fireworks in DC
                    >

                    > Regina James recently forwarded and posted an excerpt on the law
                    concerning
                    > fireworks. I believe the ones you saw were legal ones (sparklers,
                    > fountains, etc). To date, fireworks to some extent are legal in the
                    > District. Citizens who choose to use them are susceptible to civil
                    and
                    > possible criminal penalties for their misuse.
                    >
                    > Lt. Medoro
                    >
                    > _____

                  • Catina Perkins
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 19, 2005
                      Message
                      The guy in the fatigues is supposed to be their security guard.  Sometimes he has on fatigues and other times he dressed in the blue uniform type outfit.  Yes, I have to agree; the presence of the police is welcoming and they are doing a great job.  I wish we could utilize the  recreation center for more  community events.  Maybe a meet and greet your new neighbors.