kids that may be up to no good

  • k3
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2008
      From just before dark until a few minutes ago, three kids appeared to
      be scoping our ride.

      Our truck is parked in the yard of the house next door, which is
      vacant but not derelict. The three kids were sitting on the retaining
      wall behind the truck until they noticed my neighbor had spotted them,
      then they moved to the other side, out of his view.

      He said they had walked all around the truck and peered inside prior
      to settling in. At that point he called me and I looked out my back
      window. I didn't recognize these kids as being from the apartment
      building or any house around here. I watched them for a few minutes
      without them seeing me, and it looked like they were waiting, but not
      for anything specific.

      By that I mean they weren't looking up every few minutes toward a
      house or window as if someone was expected to appear. They weren't
      checking the time, or looking impatient, or even chatting amongst
      themselves. The older one didn't seem particularly impatient. The
      younger ones were walking around in circles, looking bored, and -- it
      seemed to me -- looking for some trouble to get into. I'm not
      particularly suspicious of kids, or people in general. But still, I
      expected that any minute one of them was going to do something that he
      shouldn't have been doing.

      I went into my back yard and my neighbor walked over. We chatted for a
      minute, and the kids stayed. Once he came up into my yard and we
      started talking and looking over at them, they left straightaway ...
      even though there's no way they could have known the truck belonged to
      one of us. For a few minutes they hung out at the mouth of the R St
      NE - Quincy Place NE alley where it intersects Lincoln Road, then
      headed toward North Capitol Street.

      The older kid was maybe 14 or 15, and wearing a dark watch cap with
      hair sticking out from underneath it. He kept spitting a lot. The
      other two were smaller, maybe 10-12. All three had on white athletic
      Ts.

      Both my neighbor (who has lived here for quite a long time) and I
      walked away with the distinct impression that this trio is out there
      right now looking for a car to steal. I know there have been a number
      of auto thefts and breakins in the area recently.

      I hope this helps somehow.