Thanks for stopping by

  • Marie
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
      I just called 911 about a group of people hanging out, drinking beer
      out of brown paper bags, and carrying-on on the sidewalk. Now normally
      they are hanging out in front of one of their friends house, but this
      time they were leaning on the fence and basically blocking the gate of
      a another woman who I knew would be too intimated to confront the
      crowd. So I called and in about 5 minutes a cruiser came by.
      Unfortunately, its presence and quick retreat made the crowd smaller.
      But they did stop leaning on the fence.
      I really do appreciate that ya'll came as quick as you did, but is
      there anything residents can do to keep crowds from leaning on our
      fences and blocking our gates?
    • DCReardon@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
        Are we supposed to be calling 911 for stuff like that listed below?  IMHO, this is not an EMERGENCY?   Couldnt the poster go out and ask the people to move somewhere else and quiet down?  Why call the police?

        I just called 911 about a group of people hanging out, drinking beer
        out of brown paper bags, and carrying-on on the sidewalk. Now normally
        they are hanging out in front of one of their friends house, but this
        time they were leaning on the fence and basically blocking the gate of
        a another woman who I knew would be too intimated to confront the
        crowd. So I called and in about 5 minutes a cruiser came by.
        Unfortunately, its presence and quick retreat made the crowd smaller.
        But they did stop leaning on the fence.
        I really do appreciate that ya'll came as quick as you did, but is
        there anything residents can do to keep crowds from leaning on our
        fences and blocking our gates?

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:MPD-5D-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:MPD-5D-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Thembi Butler
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008

          I’d argue that my neighbor’s scooter dripping gasoline onto our shared walkway was also not a “911” emergency, yet that’s what I was told to do by the Mayor’s call center to find out if there were any hazardous waste ordinances.  (And past experience with this neighbor has told me that talking to the neighbor would be pointless at best – dangerous at worst.

          Thembi Butler

          Metaformers, Inc.

          Mobile 202.431.1169| Thembi.Butler@...

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/MPD- 5D/

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/MPD- 5D/join

              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

              mailto:MPD-5D- digest@yahoogrou ps.com

              mailto:MPD-5D- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

              http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

          Get the MapQuest Toolbar. Directions, Traffic, Gas Prices More!

        • RobbyCU
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008

            Here's the Official Answer when to call 911.

            911 Emergency Number

            For more information about the correct number to call for your particular situation Know the Different Numbers.

            What is 911?

            911 is the public's lifeline for emergency police, fire, and medical services in the District of Columbia. 911 number is designed for contacting the Metropolitan Police Department (MPDC) and the DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department (FEMS) in all situations requiring an onsite response by MPDC or FEMS.  911 is a toll-free call accessible through residential, wireless, and pay telephones throughout the District.

            Who answers 911 calls?

            All calls to 911 are answered by trained call-takers at the Office of Unified Communications.  Calls that require a fire or emergency medical response are immediately transferred to dispatchers within the call center.  For police-related emergencies, the call-taker takes the information and forwards it via computer to police dispatchers, also within the call center. The center's new Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD) system is improving the collection of 911 information and the dispatch of police resources.

            What happens if I am put on hold?

            The goal is to answer all 911 calls within 5 seconds, and the call center is meeting that goal for the vast majority of calls. During periods of particularly heavy call volume, however, there is a chance you might get a recording when you call 911. Calls put on hold will be answered as quickly as possible, in the order in which they were received. If you get put on hold, do not hang up and call back. This is likely to result in your call being pushed farther back in the call-answering queue and further delays in receiving service.

            When should I call 911?

            Call 911 to report any life-threatening situations—fires, medical emergencies in which an ambulance is needed, and crime situations requiring onsite police response. 911 should be used to report:

            • Any crime that is in progress or where the offender is still on the scene (or has just left the scene)
            • All serious violent crimes—homicide, robbery, sexual assault, domestic violence, assault—even if the crime is no longer in progress or the offender has left the scene
            • All fires and medical emergencies
            • Home and business intruders (note: if you come home and see a door or window forced open, do not go in—find a nearby phone and call 911)
            • Vehicle crashes involving personal injury, major property damage, or traffic tie-ups
            • Seeing a criminal you know is wanted by the police

            For city services and police matters that do not require police to respond to a location, call 311.

            What information should I provide?

            It is critical that you provide the police call-taker with information that is as accurate and complete as possible. Try to remain calm, and speak slowly and clearly. While the information you provide will vary with the incident, there are some critical details that will be required in almost every instance. These include:

            • A brief description of the crime
            • Time of occurrence
            • Exact location (including street and unit/apartment numbers, if applicable)
            • Extent of injuries or property damage, if any
            • Description of any suspects: gender, race, height, weight, clothing, hair color/style, facial hair, scars/marks/tattoos
            • Weapons used, including a description
            • Description of suspect vehicle: make/model, color, tag numbers (including jurisdiction), whether there are temporary tags on the vehicle
            • Direction of flight: down what street/alley; on foot, bicycle or motor vehicle
            • Also, it is critical that you give the call-taker your phone number—especially if you are calling from a wireless phone—so that the police can call you back if they need additional information.

            Do I have to leave my name?

            No. Callers to 911 need not reveal their names, addresses, or phone numbers. Simply tell the call-taker you wish to remain anonymous, and ask the call-taker to tell the responding officers that you do not want the police to come to your home. Even if you choose to remain anonymous, however, it is still recommended that you provide your phone number in case the police need to call you back for additional information.

            What if I don't speak English?

            Callers who do not speak English, or who feel more comfortable communicating in a language other than English, can still access 911 services. Through its language bank, we have instant access to translators in more than 100 different languages and dialects. Callers should tell the call-taker they want a language bank translator.

            In addition, 911 is completely accessible to the hearing-impaired. 911 can accept TDD calls; there is no separate TDD number to call for police emergencies.

            "We cannot learn from one another until we stop shouting at one another—until we speak quietly enough so that our words can be heard as well as our voices."
            - President Richard M. Nixon
            (First Inaugural Address)

[...]

          • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
              Re: [MPD-5D] Thanks for stopping by

              There are no reported offenses i Find for the Fifth District.  However the First District may have had a case that lead to that location I will research!!

              *       What is 911? <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547620,mpdcnav_gid,1554.asp#what
              *       When should I call 911? <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547620,mpdcnav_gid,1554.asp#when
              *       Who answers 911 calls? <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547620,mpdcnav_gid,1554.asp#who
              *       What happens if I am put on hold? <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547620,mpdcnav_gid,1554.asp#hold
              *       What information should I provide? <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547620,mpdcnav_gid,1554.asp#info
              *       Do I have to leave my name? <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547620,mpdcnav_gid,1554.asp#name
              *       What if I don't speak English? <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547620,mpdcnav_gid,1554.asp#speak

              For more information about the correct number to call for your particular situation Know the Different Numbers <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547634,mpdcNav_GID,1554.asp> .

               <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/Lib/mpdc/img2/i_dotted_line.gif>

               <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/Lib/mpdc/img2/i_dotted_line.gif>  <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547620,mpdcnav_gid,1554.asp#top>

              For city services and police matters that do not require police to respond to a location, call 311 <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547613,mpdcNav_GID,1554.asp> .

              Mobile 202.431.1169| Thembi.Butler@... <mailto:Thembi.Butler@...>

              ________________________________

              ------------ --------- --------- ------

              <*> Your email settings:

                  Individual Email | Traditional

               change settings online go to:

                  (Yahoo <http://www.yahoo.com/> ! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  mailto:MPD-5D- digest@yahoogrou ps.com <mailto:MPD-5D-digest@yahoogroups.com?

                  mailto:MPD-5D- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:MPD-5D-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com?>

                  http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

              ________________________________

              Get the MapQuest Toolbar <http://mapquest.com/toolbar?ncid=mpqmap00050000000010> . Directions, Traffic, Gas Prices More!

            • Tina DCTina
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
                Cmdr. Greene,

                No offense but IF there were indeed that many police cars, complete with lights and police photographer, esp. in the Holbrook and Oates area, how is it no one from the 5th District would have driven by during the event without taking notice and/or becoming involved? Just seems odd......

                Mobile 202.431.1169| Thembi.Butler@ metaformers. com <mailto:Thembi. Butler@metaforme rs.com>

                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/MPD- 5D/ <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/MPD- 5D/>

                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/MPD- 5D/join <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/MPD- 5D/join>

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 22, 2008
                  Re: [MPD-5D] Thanks for stopping by

                  Sorry the info took so long but just as I had suspected, the First District made an arrest at that location for an offense that occurred in their district.  No Fifth District involvement.

                              http://groups <http://groups/> . yahoo.com/ group/MPD- 5D/ <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/MPD- 5D/ > >

                  http://groups <http://groups/> . yahoo.com/ group/MPD- 5D/join <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/MPD- 5D/join > >

                  http://docs <http://docs/> . yahoo.com/ info/terms/ <http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/ > >