MAYOR FENTY AND CHIEF LANIER INCREASE PUBLIC SAFETY EFFORTS

  • mpd5d_coordinator
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2008

      News Release

      For Immediate Release

      Contact: Traci Hughes, (202) 727-9346

      July 28, 2008

      **CORRECTED RELEASE**

      MAYOR FENTY AND CHIEF LANIER INCREASE PUBLIC SAFETY EFFORTS

      Washington , DC ) – Mayor Adrian M. Fenty and Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier announced today that the Metropolitan Police Department has increased its efforts to improve public safety in the District.

      Shotspotter

      The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) has expanded the Shotspotter (Shotspotter) Gun Location System into Ward Two and the Third District.  The expansion now allows the MPD to hear gunshots over an 11 mile square radius in the Third, Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Police Districts combined.

      Shotspotter senses the sound of gunfire within a defined geographical area, and so for this year has recorded more than 4,500 gunshots.  It has been used as a tool in a total of 13 homicides.

      Shotspotter was first deployed and tested in the Seventh District in August of 2006.  It was deployed into the Fifth and Sixth Districts in March of this year.  The expansion of Shotspotter is a result of $1.8 million allocated by Mayor Fenty and approved by the City Council in April of this year.

      Neighborhood Safety Zone – Trinidad Area

      Chief Lanier established the second Neighborhood Safety Zone (NSZ) in the Trinidad area on July 19, 2008 – July 27, 2008 in response to multiple violent crimes occurring in the neighborhood, including the murder of 13-year-old Alonzo Robinson.

      MPD officers conducted 21 checkpoints, allowing 742 vehicles to pass through the NSZ; five vehicles were refused entry into the NSZ; zero vehicles failed to stop; zero arrests were made; one Notice of Infraction was issued.  There were no shootings in the Trinidad area while the NSZ was in place.

      "We will continue to increase police presence in the Trinidad neighborhood, and welcome information from the community about violent crime in the area.  Residents have given us great information so far, and we are following up on each and every lead," said Chief Lanier. "Shotspotter and the Neighborhood Safety Zones are just two of the tools we use to gain important information about when and where crimes occur, and the community is stepping up the use of our anonymous crime tip line and our text messaging option."

      Since the announcement of the second NSZ in Trinidad , text messaging increased by 600%.  On average MPD had been receiving about eight text messages a day, since July 20th, MPD received 48 text tips.

      "The Metropolitan Police Department will continue to deploy innovative programs and initiatives to reduce crime in our neighborhoods.  Violent crime is a concern to all of us no matter where it occurs in our city.  Residents are encouraged to call the police with any information they may have about crime in their communities," said Mayor Fenty.

      Anyone with information about crime is asked to call the police at (202)727-9099 or 1-888-919-CRIM [E]. Anonymous information may also be forwarded to the department's TEXT TIP LINE by text messaging 50-411.