Fireworks

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
      Kris:

      Your proposal is untenable and does not reduce the significant negative impact on public safety. Why should the majority suffer because a few need to celebrate by discharging noisy, acrid-fume-producing fireworks? The celebration on the Mall is sufficient enough and controlled to satisfy the need to celebrate July 4th with fireworks fanfare.

      Current July 4th practices drain police resources and disturb the majority of citizens in affected neighborhoods. Judging from the response at our community meeting with Chairman Gray to discuss fireworks, overall sentiment against fireworks in ANC 5B10 and the traffic on the various Ward 5 LISTSERVS the majority do not appreciate this public safety nightmare.

      It is easy to label your call for "having a little fun" as frivolous and reckless when your home, car or person was the intended landing site for incendiary material. Ward 5 also has one of the highest rates of asthma and breathing impairments in our city; breathing the acrid fumes from fireworks caused distress to many.

      The benefits of "having a little fun" with fireworks is minimal when compared to the benefit of increased public safety for all.

      Kathy

    • Joshua Maye
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
        Can anyone provide me with some sats on how many people have been injuried as a result of fireworks between 2007-2008? In addition, any other stats that would help see how this debated started even though fireworks is a part of how the nation independently and collective celebrates our indepedence.

         Josh

        "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them" -Albert Einstein

        On 7/7/08, khenderson029@... <khenderson029@...> wrote:

[...]

        Policing for Prevention
        All-Bran

        Day 10 Club

        on Yahoo! Groups

        Feel better with fiber.

        Healthy Living

        Learn to live life

        to the fullest

        on Yahoo! Groups.

        Best of Y! Groups

        Discover groups

        that are the best

        of their class.

        .
        _,_._,___
      • A R
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008

          Attached is a report from the National Fire Protection Association which contains these data.  This report was published in May 2008 and contains the most recently available data (2005 and 2006).  I checked with someone there and some data for 2007 are available, but they are still analyzing much of it.  Among other things, the report states that there was $39 million in direct property damage as a result of fires caused by fireworks.

          AR

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
            There are no up to date stats, there are estimates fro 2006. The reality is injury from Fireworks is low when compared to other injuries.

            "Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself."
            - President Richard M. Nixon
            (Farewell to the White House Staff - August 9, 1974)

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
              Josh:

              Again, I direct you to the Centers for Disease Control website. According to their site 10, 800 were injured by fireworks in 2005 and sought treatment from an emergency facility. The study was compiled in 2006. Additionally, 26% of the injuries were from firecrackers, 17% from sparklers and another 17% were from rockets. "Sparklers were associated with over half of the injuries among children under five." There are other sites that have similar alarming statistics.

              Fireworks may be a fun pastime for some; however, they are clearly a public safety hazard. This is true even when you leave the discharge of fireworks to the professionals. The July 6, 2008, issue of the Washington Times reported that 37 were injured at an Iowa city-sponsored show.

              Kathy

            • DCReardon@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                But whats happening HERE?  The current info please, local current info, is there any available?

                Who cares what is going on in IOWA?

                Again, I direct you to the Centers for Disease Control website. According to their site 10, 800 were injured by fireworks in 2005 and sought treatment from an emergency facility. The study was compiled in 2006. Additionally, 26% of the injuries were from firecrackers, 17% from sparklers and another 17% were from rockets. "Sparklers were associated with over half of the injuries among children under five." There are other sites that have similar alarming statistics.

                Fireworks may be a fun pastime for some; however, they are clearly a public safety hazard. This is true even when you leave the discharge of fireworks to the professionals. The July 6, 2008, issue of the Washington Times reported that 37 were injured at an Iowa city-sponsored show.

                Kathy

              • Tina DCTina

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008

                    Also, I sent a report on fireworks related injuries and property damage to the listserv, but don't know if it went through.  It is available at http://www.nfpa.org/newsReleaseDetails.asp?categoryID=488&itemID=39587.  Just click on the link that says, "Fireworks Report."  This is the National Fire Protection Association.

                    AR

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                      This is an excellent report. Thank you.

                      Kathy

                    • khenderson029@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                        Perhaps you should take the time to search for yourself instead of decrying what was reported in one of our local newspapers. All data concerning fireworks-related injuries and property damage is relevant to citizens in the District. Fireworks disrupt public safety and the injuries and property damage caused by fireworks are significant, representing an undeniable fact and not mere conjecture.

                        Kathy

                      • Diedra Prophet
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
                          I have lived in the district all my life and never had a firework aimed at me intentionally or my property.  I do think that some under aged and inexperienced kids sometimes get a hold of fireworks and cause danger...But that is one reason why my family and I have big celebrations and try to somewhat gain a little control and promote lighting the fireworks togehter in the neighborhood.  We really enjoy the fireworks.  Not an attack just a note.....

[...]

                        • Thomas, Harry (COUNCIL)
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
                            Thanks to all this was a great beginning

[...]

                            Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar
                            Policing for Prevention
                            MARKETPLACE
                            You rock! Blockbuster wants to give you a complimentary trial of Blockbuster Total Access.

                            Recent Activity
                            * 5
                            New MembersVisit Your Group
                            All-Bran
                            Day 10 Club
                            on Yahoo! Groups
                            Feel better with fiber.
                            Healthy Living
                            Learn to live life
                            to the fullest
                            on Yahoo! Groups.
                            Best of Y! Groups
                            Discover groups
                            that are the best
                            of their class.
                          • Zed Apallato
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 4, 2013
                              I hope that these kids who destroy property and terrorize residents are being charged as terrorists. Last year I was hit by fireworks that were expended vertically and had to go to the hospital with first degree burns.

                              It is time that the nation's capital is safe from these terrorists. I hope that homeland security is supporting  MPD year round to get rid of these kids.

                              Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 07:41:01 +0000
                              From: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                              To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                              Subject: [MPD-5D] Digest Number 2629