Re: [MPD-4D] Re: Fireworks

  • k.jarrell01@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2008
      Clearly, it isn't the sparkles and snakes that create such disturbance in the neighborhoods it is the illegal fireworks that create such loud noises that you can't hear your TV,  talk on your phone and even hold a conversation in your own home that is defiant of 1) the law, 2) public respect for others, 3) mere safety.  Sensible fireworks wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to endure them until after 2AM in the morning.
      But like most things in the District they are out of hand due only to a limited few that no doubt care little others around them.

      The difficulty with the whole situation is we live in a capital city with one of the grandest fireworks displays in the nation,  it is free and easily accessible by anyone via a short metro ride.  Secondly,  it is covered very well on the television and the safety of your own home ranks second to nothing on a night that so much could potentially take place.

      Finally, I can tell you that numerous people were no doubt treated at the local emergency rooms for various types of injuries as a result of setting off or merely watching these illegal fireworks and certainly many of which have no insurance to cover their care.

      Finally, it is extremely taxing on our police who alrady have close to 200 extra people in the city to watch over.  The huge amount of calls is something that selfishly intrupts the normal balance in a way that is has just got to change.

      All this adds up quickly to one thing,  it is time to really ride our city of the torment and the mess.

      Keith Jarrell

      --
      In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
      Martin Luther King Jr.

      From: "brokemoto" <brokemoto@...>

      Actually, our Elected Officials DID listen to us, for a change.
      Even some of the more 'progressive' amoung us thought that banning
      all fireworks was too much micromanagement of our lives. Even they
      agreed that if the Authorities would enforce the laws that are
      already on the books, that would deal with the 'problem'. Even they
      agreed that banning sparklers was not going to stop people from
      shooting mortars, Roman Candles and cherry bombs.

      Effective methods for dealing with the fun fireworks (the illegal
      kind) are confiscation and fines, not having the Police chase every
      fourteen year old kid who lights a sparkler. If anyone thinks that
      the Police are slow to respond now, what would happen if they had to
      follow up on every pack of sparklers and snakes smuggled in from
      the Commonwealth of Virginia? And some people thought that pistols
      that came from there were a problem..... ......... .

      Then, there was the miss ive from Chief Lanier. I would have to agree
      with her. The Police must respond to life-threatening situations
      and drug complaints. It is more important that they disarm a thug
      with a gun or cart several crack dealers off to jail than that they
      chase someone who just ignited a few mortar shells. Just imagine if
      they had to add chasing every kid who just lit a mini-cone or a
      smoke bomb to chasing every one who lit a Roman Candle or a pack of
      firecrackers, as well as the crack dealers and the thugs with the
      guns. Since the kids with the sparklers would be almost ubiquitous,
      I would suspect that it would result in more crack dealers
      undisturbed and more people robbed or shot by thugs with guns (the
      up side would be more people enjoying the good kind of foreworks, as
      well as the tame kind).

      If I recall correctly, Montgomery County, Maryland now bans all
      fireworks (but then there IS a reason that they call it MontVOLVOry
      Coun ty). I would be curious to know how much time their Police
      Officers spend chasing kids who ignite sparklers and snakes, or even
      if they do have a 'problem' with people's igniting the good kind of
      fireworks (the illegal kind). I have not gone there for the Fourth
      of July in some time, as I get the best show in the area in my
      little corner of Michigan Park; it is better than the one on the Mall

      I am not too worried that the Police did not bother the
      exhibitioners in my little corner of Michigan Park, but if they must
      do so in the future; the law IS the law. You are not supposed to
      set off skyrockets, cherry bombs and Roman Candles (the last is MY
      personal favourite), so if they do come through here next year and
      take the barrel bombs and bottle rockets from people and issue
      summonses, I will have no quarrel with them. Still, that is no
      reason to ban the tame fireworks that the law does still allow.
      We will have to be satisfie d with them (and the occasional pack of
      firecrackers that someone does manage to ignite). People do like to
      live a little, here and there; even the more 'progressive' do enjoy
      the occasional break from the constraints of the Nanny State.

      ----PL on Decatur St., N.E.

      --- In MPD-4D@yahoogroups. com, k.jarrell01@ ... wrote:
      This year's fireworks are the results of our elected officials not
      listening to the residents that voted them into office. We were
      promised changes last year as a result of illegal fireworks and the
      continuously disturbing noises causes by careless users. Yet 2008
      the conversation continues.

    • DCReardon@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2008
        does anyone have the actual stats of "how many people turned up in emergency rooms" due to fireworks.