Did you stop to think today?

  • G. Keith Jarrell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2008
      Dear Residents, neighbors, and friends,

      As this National Celebration draws to an end, I hope you will take a
      moment to think about something that lays heavy on thoughts today.

      We have mostly all enjoyed this great day. Full of heritage,
      friends, national and District pride, family get togethers, cook
      outs, great food and a great pride in what liberty stands for.

      I invite you to take a moment to think about those that have
      sacrificed their holiday once again for our safety and well being.
      Without these brave and strong people we might not all be so safe and
      we might not all have the opportunity to enjoy this day full of it's
      many celebrations.

      They have had to patrol our streets, stand at intersections
      directing traffic, make numerous calls for emergency's of untold
      origins. And yes, even show up to shut down illegal fireworks in
      every corner of our city. They have stood attentively during yet
      another grand parade, in the hot sun. Made many a district resident
      feel safe merely by their presence.

      Yet how many of you took the time today, yesterday or last week to
      walk up, extend a hand of friendship and show a moment of
      gratitude? How many of you stopped for a mere moment today to
      realize that our honorable police officers have not been able to
      celebrate this sacred and beloved holiday with their loved ones.
      Duty called them again to suit up, strap on a gun, put on their
      bullet proof vest, stand on the street. To protect and defend, the
      residents of the District of Columbia, and her many visitors.

      Realize today, each time you reached for another cold drink, that
      second hot dog, or warmly embraced a loved one that you see only once
      a year. Our Police Officers didn't have that pleasure today because
      they were out there on our streets, protecting our neighborhoods and
      giving of their holiday for each of us. Our safety is paramount.
      Clearly their objective has been met. Their riveting dedication to
      their sworn duty is why we again have enjoyed this holiday and so
      many others.

      I invite you to take the time, and spend the energy, cease the
      opportunity you have to see one of finest in blue walking the
      streets, standing on the corner, or waiting at a red light to
      simply extend you hand, nod you head in appreciation, and say thanks
      for a job well done! Remember if you will, that we call upon them to
      do what we don't want to do, and don't know how to do. Because of
      them and their devotion, we don't have to think about it.

      Thanks Chief Lanier, Assistant Chief Groomes and every officer in
      our MPD again for the many things that each of you do for us today
      and every day.

      Keith Jarrell