Re: [MPD-5D] Supreme Court Update

  • Detria Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2008
      You can buy a gun on the street for $50 bucks.  It is not a good gun, but it shoots.  Why would a criminal break in the house for a gun, when the home owner might use the gun on the criminal.  No, I don't think people will break in homes purely for a gun.  There would be far more valuable items to grab instead.

      From: cathy.lanier@ dc.gov
      Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:35:49 -0400
      Subject: [MPD-5D] Supreme Court Update

      Residents,

      Unfortunately, the Supreme Court today struck down part of the District of Columbia’s handgun ban.  I wanted to drop you a note to let you know the immediate impact of this decision.

      The Supreme Court’s ruling is limited and leaves intact various other laws that apply to private residents who would purchase handguns or other firearms for home possession.  It is important that everyone know that:

      • First, all firearms must be registered with the Metropolitan Police Department’s Firearms Registration Section before they may be lawfully possessed.

      • Second, automatic and semiautomatic handguns generally remain illegal and may not be registered.

      • Third, the Supreme Court’s ruling is limited to handguns in the home and does not entitle anyone to carry firearms outside his or her own home.

      Lastly, although the Court struck the safe storage provision on the ground that it was too broadly written, in my opinion firearms in the home should be kept either unloaded and disassembled or locked.

      I will comply with the Court’s reading of the Second Amendment in its letter and spirit.  At the same time, I will continue to vigorously enforce the District’s other gun-related laws.  I will also continue to find additional ways to protect the District’s residents against the scourge of gun violence.

      Residents who want additional information can visit the Metropolitan Police Website at www.mpdc.dc. gov/gunregistrat ion.  Residents with questions are encouraged to contact the Firearms Registration Section at 202-727-9490.

      Sincerely,

      Cathy Lanier

      Chief of Police