Re: [MPD-5D] Emergency Legislation Proposed to Ban Fireworks

  • Matt Ashburn
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
      In your example, the fireworks involved were (and are) *already*
      illegal. Why do we need to expand the ban to cover all others (mostly
      novelties such as sparklers)? I support, however, giving MPD the
      authority to enforce the current ban.

      Matt

    • Matt Ashburn
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
        Patrick,

        The proposed "emergency" legislation bans *all* fireworks, including
        sparklers. Firecrackers are already illegal under current law.

        Matt

      • arodeojock@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
          So I can infer from your answer that I won't see any of these fire hazaards marring parking lots if the legislation passes?

          --
          +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

          From: "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...>

          Patrick,

        • k.jarrell01@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
            The real point here is we starting asking for this ban nearly a year ago. Now all of a sudden it has to be emergency legislation.  The should have been introduced and brought forward months ago in order to keep everyone from losing.  Another horrible job by our law makers in failing to really represent the very people that voted them into office.

            Keith Jarrell

            --
            In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
            Martin Luther King Jr.

            From: TruxtonResident <truxtonresident@...>

            Don't count on it.

            Until this and all current laws/bans are enforced regarding fireworks, nothing will change this July 4th.

            The type of firework displays that have already begun to be shot off in DC are already illegal.

            And MPD and other government agencies do very little to enforce the current laws.

             Put this new initiative in the bin with all the others laws that are on teh books but not enforced in DC .... like illegal parking on Sundays.

            TR

            khenderson029@ aol.com wrote:
[...]

          • G. Keith Jarrell
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
              Sadly, it appears that the council has failed to vote on a ban for
              fireworks in the District of Columbia.
              Much from poor planning I feel! If you go back and carefully ready
              postings on this listserv(4D) from last July (07) it was clear then
              that citizens wanted these potentially dangerous toys stricken from
              being sold and used in the District.

              One has to wonder why nearly a year went by before council could
              bring themselves bring the subject to vote? One has to wonder why it
              took Councilmember Barry to realize that to now rule them illegal
              would impose on the vendors that had already started their process to
              set up their stands to sell the fireworks. Which is reality is
              correct.

              However, if we had engaged representation on city council, this
              bill would have been carefully studied, well written and introduced
              in enough time to allow for public testimony and a full vote.
              Clearly with so many residents disgruntled about fireworks and their
              potentially danger to both human life, and our property, council
              would have been forced to have out lawed them.
              Once again, a lack of planning, clearly a lack of listening to the
              voters, and poor timing has now created another grand 4th of July
              where we will practically be held prisoner in our homes to safeguard
              against damage from fireworks.

              Why can't council and more specifically our ward 4 council listen to
              the needs of the community? Why can't they react for once on
              something in a timely manner so that everyone involved can be heard
              and the proper actions taken?

              Keith Jarrell
              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...> wrote:

              > I strongly do NOT support the proposed ban. MPD should be given the
              > authority to enforce the existing fireworks prohibition laws, but I
              do
              > not think that all fireworks (including sparklers, other novelties,
              > etc.) should be banned.
              >
              > Existing laws already ban the dangerous fireworks, a list of which
              is
              > here: http://fems.dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp
              >
              > The most dangerous and disturbing fireworks are already banned but
              the
              > law is not well enforced; why not simply allow MPD to enforce the
              > existing laws without prohibiting novelty fireworks such as
              childrens'
              > sparklers?
              >
              > Can you tell us why our elected officials see *all* fireworks as a
              > dangerous threat? One of the most-publicized injuries from last
              > year-- a 5-year old getting hurt while playing with fireworks-- was
              > the result of a firecracker (something that is already illegal under
              > *existing* law).
              >
              > Are sparklers causing a huge number of injuries, is there something
              > else I'm missing, or is the proposed legislation an overkill?
              Please
              > do give MPD the authority to enforce existing bans, but there is no
              > need that I see for banning all other fireworks.
              >
              > Matt
              >

              > On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:00 PM, <khenderson029@...> wrote:
              > > Good Afternoon All:
              > >
              > > The ANC 5B10 community overwhelmingly supports the ban and we
              believe the
              > > timing could not be better. Each year our community is
              practically held
              > > hostage by individuals that turn our streets and alleys into
              discharge
              > > sites, causing excessive noise, litter and burn marks in the
              streets. The
              > > weeks leading up to July 4th leave many citizens wondering
              whether guns are
              > > being discharged, subsequently draining police resources. A cloud
              of acrid
              > > smoke fills the air on the actual celebration day and makes
              breathing
              > > difficult for young and old alike and the noise lingers for weeks
              > > afterwards.
              > >
              > > We support the ban and look forward to a day of celebration that
              does not
              > > include incendiary material flying through our neighborhoods and
              disrupting
              > > our peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray
              attended our
              > > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we
              are glad
              > > this action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor
              Fenty and
              > > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much
              needed
              > > relief for our communities. We look forward to unanimous support
              from the
              > > Council on this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th
              celebration.

              > > Sincerely,
              > >
              > > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
              > >

              > > ________________________________
              > > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler
              Florence"
              > > on AOL Food.

            • Matt Ashburn
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                The dangerous fireworks (firecrackers, etc.) are *already* illegal;
                the law just isn't enforced very much. Council should draft
                legislation that allows MPD to enforce the existing ban.

                Matt

              • truxtonresident@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                  Matt - you are right but for some reason people are too caught up getting a ban in place instead of actually enforcing what we already have on the books.

                  If even if the ban had been enacted by Council, it would not have resulted in any change to what we face every year

                  Unless MPD starts enforcing the laws - existing or new - nothing will change.

                  From: "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...>

                  Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:18:33
                  To:MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Emergency Legislation Proposed to Ban Fireworks

                  <k.jarrell01@ <mailto:k.jarrell01%40comcast.net> comcast.net> wrote:
> [...]
                  > disrupting
                  >> > our peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray
                  > attended our
                  >> > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we
                  > are glad
                  >> > this action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor
                  > Fenty and
                  >> > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much
                  > needed
                  >> > relief for our communities. We look forward to unanimous support
                  > from the
                  >> > Council on this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th
                  > celebration.
                  >> >
                  >> > Sincerely,
                  >> >
                  >> > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
                  >> >

                  >> > ________________________________
                  >> > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler

                • tominbrookland
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 6, 2008
                    This "the police should enforce the existing laws" is such a
                    tiresome argument. Logistically, the police cannot investigate the
                    type and size of a firework, sparkler or any other incendiary when
                    they receive a complaint. Not to mention, the proliferation of
                    firework stands and devices that flood the city each summer creates
                    a volume of devices that cannot be inspected and vetted.

                    But the MAIN POINT is that one citizen does not have the right to
                    engage in behavior excessive infringes on the quality of life of
                    another, especially when such behavior is not related to a greater,
                    common good. So, it's OK to be awoken at 3AM by a ambulance siren,
                    but not by a firework. Add to this the burden to MPD and emergency
                    services that are routinely required for fireworks emergencies (an
                    expense and vulnerability borne by all of us, including the masses
                    who feel fireworks should be banned), and it's simple - private
                    fireworks should be neither sold nor ignited in this city. We need a
                    broad and enforceable ban.

                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, truxtonresident@... wrote:

                    > Matt - you are right but for some reason people are too caught up
                    getting a ban in place instead of actually enforcing what we already
                    have on the books.

                    > If even if the ban had been enacted by Council, it would not have
                    resulted in any change to what we face every year

                    > Unless MPD starts enforcing the laws - existing or new - nothing
                    will change.

                    Fireworks

                    com, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@> wrote:

                    > >> I strongly do NOT support the proposed ban. MPD should be
                    given the
                    > >> authority to enforce the existing fireworks prohibition laws,
                    but I
                    > > do
                    > >> not think that all fireworks (including sparklers, other
                    novelties,
                    > >> etc.) should be banned.
                    > >>
                    > >> Existing laws already ban the dangerous fireworks, a list of
                    which
                    > > is
                    > >> here: http://fems.
                    <http://fems.dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp>
                    dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp

                    > >> The most dangerous and disturbing fireworks are already banned
                    but
                    > > the
                    > >> law is not well enforced; why not simply allow MPD to enforce
                    the
                    > >> existing laws without prohibiting novelty fireworks such as
                    > > childrens'
                    > >> sparklers?
                    > >>
                    > >> Can you tell us why our elected officials see *all* fireworks
                    as a
                    > >> dangerous threat? One of the most-publicized injuries from last
                    > >> year-- a 5-year old getting hurt while playing with fireworks--
                    was
                    > >> the result of a firecracker (something that is already illegal
                    under
                    > >> *existing* law).
                    > >>
                    > >> Are sparklers causing a huge number of injuries, is there
                    something
                    > >> else I'm missing, or is the proposed legislation an overkill?
                    > > Please
                    > >> do give MPD the authority to enforce existing bans, but there
                    is no
                    > >> need that I see for banning all other fireworks.
                    > >>
                    > >> Matt

                    > > believe the
                    > > practically held
                    > > discharge
                    > > streets. The
                    > > whether guns are
                    > > of acrid
                    > > breathing

                    > > does not
                    > > disrupting
                    Gray
                    > > attended our
                    > > are glad
                    Mayor
                    > > Fenty and
                    > > needed
                    > > from the
                    > > celebration.

                    Tyler
                    > > Florence"

                  • Thembi Butler
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 6, 2008

                      Driving home on the 4th last year, my husband and I saw that MPD was out in full force.  In at least two cases, we passed officers watching (and seeming to enjoy) the displays (of fireworks that clearly were “illegal” based on all the news coverage on the topic last year) that were being put on in the middle of the street.  We did not see any enforcement.  Not being able to respond to calls is one thing, but not enforcing a law when it’s being broken under your nose (and in my opinion, condoning the behavior) is quite another.

                      So, tiresome argument or not, if the new ban were “enforced” like the old ban – I’m not sure what the point would be.

                      Thembi Butler

                      Metaformers, Inc.

                      Mobile 202.431.1169| Thembi.Butler@...

                      com, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@> wrote:

                      > >> I strongly do NOT support the proposed ban. MPD should be
                      given the
                      > >> authority to enforce the existing fireworks prohibition laws,
                      but I
                      > > do
                      > >> not think that all fireworks (including sparklers, other
                      novelties,
                      > >> etc.) should be banned.
                      > >>
                      > >> Existing laws already ban the dangerous fireworks, a list of
                      which
                      > > is
                      > >> here: http://fems.
                      <http://fems. dc.gov/fems/ cwp/view, a,3,q,636583. asp>
                      dc.gov/fems/ cwp/view, a,3,q,636583. asp

                      > >> The most dangerous and disturbing fireworks are already banned
                      but
                      > > the
                      > >> law is not well enforced; why not simply allow MPD to enforce
                      the
                      > >> existing laws without prohibiting novelty fireworks such as
                      > > childrens'
                      > >> sparklers?
                      > >>
                      > >> Can you tell us why our elected officials see *all* fireworks
                      as a
                      > >> dangerous threat? One of the most-publicized injuries from last
                      > >> year-- a 5-year old getting hurt while playing with fireworks--
                      was
                      > >> the result of a firecracker (something that is already illegal
                      under
                      > >> *existing* law).
                      > >>
                      > >> Are sparklers causing a huge number of injuries, is there
                      something
                      > >> else I'm missing, or is the proposed legislation an overkill?
                      > > Please
                      > >> do give MPD the authority to enforce existing bans, but there
                      is no
                      > >> need that I see for banning all other fireworks.
                      > >>
                      > >> Matt

                      > > believe the
                      > > practically held
                      > > discharge