Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Emergency Legislation Proposed to Ban Fireworks

  • arodeojock@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
      I'm all for it if they actually enforce it. They've not been too effective with laws already on the books, though.

      My question is this: Will the emergency legislation eliminate this ramshackles stands all over the city that sell fireworks? Or will they just be required to sell only sparklers and those little firecrackers??

      --Patrick

      +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

      �Those who would renegotiate the boundaries between church and state must therefore answer a difficult question: Why would we trade a system that has served us so well for one that has served others so poorly?�
      - Sandra Day O'Connor, Van Orden v. Perry and McCreary County v. ACLU

      From: "tvehunt" <tvehunt@...>

      Good Day All:

      I could not have said it better myself Ms. Henderson, I too do
      support the ban of FIREWORKS as well. I hope the Mayor does get the
      bill passed for it to happen!!!

      Just my two cent.

      Thank you and have a blessed day.

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, khenderson029@ ... wrote:

      > Good Afternoon All:
      >
      > The ANC 5B10 community overwhelmingly supports the ban and we
      believe the
      > timing could not be better. Each year our community is practically
      held hostage
      > by individuals that turn our streets and alleys into discharge
      sites, causing
      > excessive noise, litter and burn marks in the streets. The weeks
      leading up
      > to July 4th leave many citizens wondering whether guns are being
      discharged,
      > subsequently draining police resources. A cloud of acrid smoke
      fills the air
      > on the actual celebrat ion day and makes breathing difficult for
      young and old
      > alike and the noise lingers for weeks afterwards.
      >
      > We support the ban and look forward to a day of celebration that
      does not
      > include incendiary material flying through our neighborhoods and
      disrupting our
      > peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray
      attended our
      > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we
      are glad this
      > action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor Fenty
      and
      > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much
      needed relief for
      > our communities. We look forward to unanimous support from the
      Council on
      > this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th celebration.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
      >

      > ************ **Get trade secr ets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking
      with
      > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
      > (http://food. aol.com/tyler- florence? video=4&?
      NCID=aolfod00030000 000002)

    • Matt Ashburn
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
        In your example, the fireworks involved were (and are) *already*
        illegal. Why do we need to expand the ban to cover all others (mostly
        novelties such as sparklers)? I support, however, giving MPD the
        authority to enforce the current ban.

        Matt

      • Matt Ashburn
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
          Patrick,

          The proposed "emergency" legislation bans *all* fireworks, including
          sparklers. Firecrackers are already illegal under current law.

          Matt

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
            So I can infer from your answer that I won't see any of these fire hazaards marring parking lots if the legislation passes?

            --
            +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

            From: "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...>

            Patrick,

          • k.jarrell01@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
              The real point here is we starting asking for this ban nearly a year ago. Now all of a sudden it has to be emergency legislation.  The should have been introduced and brought forward months ago in order to keep everyone from losing.  Another horrible job by our law makers in failing to really represent the very people that voted them into office.

              Keith Jarrell

              --
              In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
              Martin Luther King Jr.

              From: TruxtonResident <truxtonresident@...>

              Don't count on it.

              Until this and all current laws/bans are enforced regarding fireworks, nothing will change this July 4th.

              The type of firework displays that have already begun to be shot off in DC are already illegal.

              And MPD and other government agencies do very little to enforce the current laws.

               Put this new initiative in the bin with all the others laws that are on teh books but not enforced in DC .... like illegal parking on Sundays.

              TR

              khenderson029@ aol.com wrote:
[...]

            • G. Keith Jarrell
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                Sadly, it appears that the council has failed to vote on a ban for
                fireworks in the District of Columbia.
                Much from poor planning I feel! If you go back and carefully ready
                postings on this listserv(4D) from last July (07) it was clear then
                that citizens wanted these potentially dangerous toys stricken from
                being sold and used in the District.

                One has to wonder why nearly a year went by before council could
                bring themselves bring the subject to vote? One has to wonder why it
                took Councilmember Barry to realize that to now rule them illegal
                would impose on the vendors that had already started their process to
                set up their stands to sell the fireworks. Which is reality is
                correct.

                However, if we had engaged representation on city council, this
                bill would have been carefully studied, well written and introduced
                in enough time to allow for public testimony and a full vote.
                Clearly with so many residents disgruntled about fireworks and their
                potentially danger to both human life, and our property, council
                would have been forced to have out lawed them.
                Once again, a lack of planning, clearly a lack of listening to the
                voters, and poor timing has now created another grand 4th of July
                where we will practically be held prisoner in our homes to safeguard
                against damage from fireworks.

                Why can't council and more specifically our ward 4 council listen to
                the needs of the community? Why can't they react for once on
                something in a timely manner so that everyone involved can be heard
                and the proper actions taken?

                Keith Jarrell
                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...> wrote:

                > I strongly do NOT support the proposed ban. MPD should be given the
                > authority to enforce the existing fireworks prohibition laws, but I
                do
                > not think that all fireworks (including sparklers, other novelties,
                > etc.) should be banned.
                >
                > Existing laws already ban the dangerous fireworks, a list of which
                is
                > here: http://fems.dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp
                >
                > The most dangerous and disturbing fireworks are already banned but
                the
                > law is not well enforced; why not simply allow MPD to enforce the
                > existing laws without prohibiting novelty fireworks such as
                childrens'
                > sparklers?
                >
                > Can you tell us why our elected officials see *all* fireworks as a
                > dangerous threat? One of the most-publicized injuries from last
                > year-- a 5-year old getting hurt while playing with fireworks-- was
                > the result of a firecracker (something that is already illegal under
                > *existing* law).
                >
                > Are sparklers causing a huge number of injuries, is there something
                > else I'm missing, or is the proposed legislation an overkill?
                Please
                > do give MPD the authority to enforce existing bans, but there is no
                > need that I see for banning all other fireworks.
                >
                > Matt
                >

                > On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:00 PM, <khenderson029@...> wrote:
                > > Good Afternoon All:
                > >
                > > The ANC 5B10 community overwhelmingly supports the ban and we
                believe the
                > > timing could not be better. Each year our community is
                practically held
                > > hostage by individuals that turn our streets and alleys into
                discharge
                > > sites, causing excessive noise, litter and burn marks in the
                streets. The
                > > weeks leading up to July 4th leave many citizens wondering
                whether guns are
                > > being discharged, subsequently draining police resources. A cloud
                of acrid
                > > smoke fills the air on the actual celebration day and makes
                breathing
                > > difficult for young and old alike and the noise lingers for weeks
                > > afterwards.
                > >
                > > We support the ban and look forward to a day of celebration that
                does not
                > > include incendiary material flying through our neighborhoods and
                disrupting
                > > our peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray
                attended our
                > > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we
                are glad
                > > this action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor
                Fenty and
                > > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much
                needed
                > > relief for our communities. We look forward to unanimous support
                from the
                > > Council on this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th
                celebration.

                > > Sincerely,
                > >
                > > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
                > >

                > > ________________________________
                > > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler
                Florence"
                > > on AOL Food.

              • Matt Ashburn
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                  The dangerous fireworks (firecrackers, etc.) are *already* illegal;
                  the law just isn't enforced very much. Council should draft
                  legislation that allows MPD to enforce the existing ban.

                  Matt

                • truxtonresident@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                    Matt - you are right but for some reason people are too caught up getting a ban in place instead of actually enforcing what we already have on the books.

                    If even if the ban had been enacted by Council, it would not have resulted in any change to what we face every year

                    Unless MPD starts enforcing the laws - existing or new - nothing will change.

                    From: "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...>

                    Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:18:33
                    To:MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Emergency Legislation Proposed to Ban Fireworks

                    <k.jarrell01@ <mailto:k.jarrell01%40comcast.net> comcast.net> wrote:
> [...]
                    > disrupting
                    >> > our peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray
                    > attended our
                    >> > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we
                    > are glad
                    >> > this action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor
                    > Fenty and
                    >> > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much
                    > needed
                    >> > relief for our communities. We look forward to unanimous support
                    > from the
                    >> > Council on this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th
                    > celebration.
                    >> >
                    >> > Sincerely,
                    >> >
                    >> > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
                    >> >

                    >> > ________________________________
                    >> > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler

                  • tominbrookland
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 6, 2008
                      This "the police should enforce the existing laws" is such a
                      tiresome argument. Logistically, the police cannot investigate the
                      type and size of a firework, sparkler or any other incendiary when
                      they receive a complaint. Not to mention, the proliferation of
                      firework stands and devices that flood the city each summer creates
                      a volume of devices that cannot be inspected and vetted.

                      But the MAIN POINT is that one citizen does not have the right to
                      engage in behavior excessive infringes on the quality of life of
                      another, especially when such behavior is not related to a greater,
                      common good. So, it's OK to be awoken at 3AM by a ambulance siren,
                      but not by a firework. Add to this the burden to MPD and emergency
                      services that are routinely required for fireworks emergencies (an
                      expense and vulnerability borne by all of us, including the masses
                      who feel fireworks should be banned), and it's simple - private
                      fireworks should be neither sold nor ignited in this city. We need a
                      broad and enforceable ban.

                      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, truxtonresident@... wrote:

                      > Matt - you are right but for some reason people are too caught up
                      getting a ban in place instead of actually enforcing what we already
                      have on the books.

                      > If even if the ban had been enacted by Council, it would not have
                      resulted in any change to what we face every year

                      > Unless MPD starts enforcing the laws - existing or new - nothing
                      will change.

                      Fireworks

                      com, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@> wrote:

                      > >> I strongly do NOT support the proposed ban. MPD should be
                      given the
                      > >> authority to enforce the existing fireworks prohibition laws,
                      but I
                      > > do
                      > >> not think that all fireworks (including sparklers, other
                      novelties,
                      > >> etc.) should be banned.
                      > >>
                      > >> Existing laws already ban the dangerous fireworks, a list of
                      which
                      > > is
                      > >> here: http://fems.
                      <http://fems.dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp>
                      dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp

                      > >> The most dangerous and disturbing fireworks are already banned
                      but
                      > > the
                      > >> law is not well enforced; why not simply allow MPD to enforce
                      the
                      > >> existing laws without prohibiting novelty fireworks such as
                      > > childrens'
                      > >> sparklers?
                      > >>
                      > >> Can you tell us why our elected officials see *all* fireworks
                      as a
                      > >> dangerous threat? One of the most-publicized injuries from last
                      > >> year-- a 5-year old getting hurt while playing with fireworks--
                      was
                      > >> the result of a firecracker (something that is already illegal
                      under
                      > >> *existing* law).
                      > >>
                      > >> Are sparklers causing a huge number of injuries, is there
                      something
                      > >> else I'm missing, or is the proposed legislation an overkill?
                      > > Please
                      > >> do give MPD the authority to enforce existing bans, but there
                      is no
                      > >> need that I see for banning all other fireworks.
                      > >>
                      > >> Matt

                      > > believe the
                      > > practically held
                      > > discharge
                      > > streets. The
                      > > whether guns are
                      > > of acrid
                      > > breathing

                      > > does not
                      > > disrupting
                      Gray
                      > > attended our
                      > > are glad
                      Mayor
                      > > Fenty and
                      > > needed
                      > > from the
                      > > celebration.

                      Tyler
                      > > Florence"

                    • Thembi Butler
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 6, 2008

                        Driving home on the 4th last year, my husband and I saw that MPD was out in full force.  In at least two cases, we passed officers watching (and seeming to enjoy) the displays (of fireworks that clearly were “illegal” based on all the news coverage on the topic last year) that were being put on in the middle of the street.  We did not see any enforcement.  Not being able to respond to calls is one thing, but not enforcing a law when it’s being broken under your nose (and in my opinion, condoning the behavior) is quite another.

                        So, tiresome argument or not, if the new ban were “enforced” like the old ban – I’m not sure what the point would be.

                        Thembi Butler

                        Metaformers, Inc.

                        Mobile 202.431.1169| Thembi.Butler@...

                        com, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@> wrote:

                        > >> I strongly do NOT support the proposed ban. MPD should be
                        given the
                        > >> authority to enforce the existing fireworks prohibition laws,
                        but I
                        > > do
                        > >> not think that all fireworks (including sparklers, other
                        novelties,
                        > >> etc.) should be banned.
                        > >>
                        > >> Existing laws already ban the dangerous fireworks, a list of
                        which
                        > > is
                        > >> here: http://fems.
                        <http://fems. dc.gov/fems/ cwp/view, a,3,q,636583. asp>
                        dc.gov/fems/ cwp/view, a,3,q,636583. asp

                        > >> The most dangerous and disturbing fireworks are already banned
                        but
                        > > the
                        > >> law is not well enforced; why not simply allow MPD to enforce
                        the
                        > >> existing laws without prohibiting novelty fireworks such as
                        > > childrens'
                        > >> sparklers?
                        > >>
                        > >> Can you tell us why our elected officials see *all* fireworks
                        as a
                        > >> dangerous threat? One of the most-publicized injuries from last
                        > >> year-- a 5-year old getting hurt while playing with fireworks--
                        was
                        > >> the result of a firecracker (something that is already illegal
                        under
                        > >> *existing* law).
                        > >>
                        > >> Are sparklers causing a huge number of injuries, is there
                        something
                        > >> else I'm missing, or is the proposed legislation an overkill?
                        > > Please
                        > >> do give MPD the authority to enforce existing bans, but there
                        is no
                        > >> need that I see for banning all other fireworks.
                        > >>
                        > >> Matt

                        > > believe the
                        > > practically held
                        > > discharge